PDA

View Full Version : brake pads

evo637
11-15-2005, 04:16 PM
hi everyone

I am deciding between the Ferodo DS2500 or the endless SS brake pads. I do take my car to the track so I narrowed it down between these two. What are the differences and which one is better in overall performance from your experience. And also how much have you guys spent to change out your pads, I called a bunch of places and they quoted +-750 including brake lines, pads, and labor. I am a newbie so changing it myself is over my head.

thanks very much

dohcvtec
11-15-2005, 04:42 PM
I'm using the Ferodo DS2500's on my car. I love them for a street pad and they never faded on me at the one track event I took the car to. I was also still on stock fluid and lines. I was driving in the advanced group so I was driving pretty hard (evo_dadi can attest, he rode passenger for a session :P ). We were running THill the other direction so it was a little easier on the brakes. But still, no fade. :)

vtluu
11-15-2005, 06:23 PM
I used 2 sets for many track and auto-x events. They held up fairly well at the track until I started getting "decently" fast, and then I had some fade issues with them so I moved on to something more aggressive.

Gruppe-S
11-15-2005, 07:14 PM
hi everyone

I am deciding between the Ferodo DS2500 or the endless SS brake pads. I do take my car to the track so I narrowed it down between these two. What are the differences and which one is better in overall performance from your experience. And also how much have you guys spent to change out your pads, I called a bunch of places and they quoted +-750 including brake lines, pads, and labor. I am a newbie so changing it myself is over my head.

thanks very much

I have the SSS on my car and done 2 track events with them. They are great for mild track use and mostly street. I will be upgrading to CCX after the SSS is done.

You might want to look into Porterfield R4S...those are great pads for street/track.

We can do the lines and pads here for around $190 labor

Motul - $12 per bottle
SSS - $175 front and $175 rear
R4S - $180 front and $85 rear
Goodridge lines - $110

Thanks,
Tom

Evo442
11-15-2005, 07:34 PM
My first track days were on endless sss pads front and rear. My experience with them is that they are a nice improvement on the street vs stock, but hard on the rotors at the track. Losts of grooving and glazing. Good wear characteristics on the pads tho'

I am currently running DS2500's on my rear rotors at the track, and playing around with different front pads. At least for the rears, the DS2500's seem much easier on my rotors than the sss pads. Seem to work fine at the track.

as far as the install goes, can pretty much swap my lines, change pads and bleed the brakes in around 2 hours, maybe a bit more. (to give you an idea how much shop time it might take).

What lines and fluid are you going to use?

evo637
11-15-2005, 08:56 PM
I'll be going with works tks brake lines and ATE brake fluid. I never experienced brake fade while at the track, but since I am replacing my brake pads, mind as well replace the brake lines to save cost on labor later on.

dohcvtec
11-15-2005, 10:16 PM
I'll be going with works tks brake lines and ATE brake fluid. I never experienced brake fade while at the track, but since I am replacing my brake pads, mind as well replace the brake lines to save cost on labor later on.
Might want to consider some other brake lines, I've been seeing some funky degradation issues. I know StopTech makes some high quality ones.

MarkSAE
11-15-2005, 10:30 PM
I would recommend against getting the Endless SSSS pads for track use. Like David said, they are pretty hard on rotors. My front rotors are grooved to shit now. Their performance was only okay on the track as I got the pads to fade pretty good at Thunderhill last friday. To me, they felt about the same as the stockers did on the track. On the street, they seem a little better than stock. I shoulda just went straight to the Performance Friction pads in front.

I'm currently using the SSSS's in the front and Hawk HP+'s in the rears w/ ATE blue fluid and WORKS TKS brake lines.

earlyapex
11-15-2005, 11:08 PM
I would recommend against getting the Endless SSSS pads for track use. Like David said, they are pretty hard on rotors. My front rotors are grooved to shit now.

Grooves on your rotors mean you are using them. Every pad will do that at the track if you drive the car faster than my grandma.

JanSolo
11-15-2005, 11:44 PM
Might want to consider some other brake lines, I've been seeing some funky degradation issues. I know StopTech makes some high quality ones.

Is it the blue plastic covering that is coming off?

evo637
11-15-2005, 11:59 PM

what about goodridge..or endless brake lines

earlyapex
11-15-2005, 11:59 PM

Is it the blue plastic covering that is coming off?

No, it's the line bursting causing it to fail.

dohcvtec
11-16-2005, 12:04 AM

what about goodridge..or endless brake lines
I have goodridge on my Honda right now and they have been fine. However, a close friend of mine had the inside of his goodridge line split open on the track causing complete brake failure on his WRX. He then picked up some stoptech lines and they were beautiful. After seeing the quality of those lines, its what I suggest. I will soon be moving to them myself.

evo637
11-16-2005, 12:10 AM
where could I get one

dohcvtec
11-16-2005, 12:15 AM
where could I get one
one what? the stoptech lines? www.stoptech.com. Lets see what other members have to say about other alternatives.

evo637
11-16-2005, 12:23 AM
thanks,

Is stoptech reliable(newbie question). I friend of mine thinks their product is a downgrade for the evo

byt
11-16-2005, 12:30 AM
I've only heard good things about Stoptech. Maybe your friend is too stuck on the Brembo name.

Gruppe-S
11-16-2005, 12:53 AM
I would recommend against getting the Endless SSSS pads for track use. Like David said, they are pretty hard on rotors. My front rotors are grooved to shit now.

Grooves on your rotors mean you are using them. Every pad will do that at the track if you drive the car faster than my grandma.

LOL...there are grooves on my rotors too but I tend to use it very hard on and off street.

As for the lines, I would recommend the Endless lines if you want to spend the extra money. The quality of the teflon coating and swivel heads technology are unmatch by another other brands on the market.

Tom