PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on coilovers

lqdchkn
11-19-2005, 12:08 PM
I'm looking for some coilovers to lower my car.

My only requirements are that they handle at least as good as stock and can handle winter driving. I saw 'apex's thread with the "winterized" JIC's. :shock:

It would also be preferable if they don't bankrupt me. :lol:

ZK
11-19-2005, 12:16 PM
For El Cheapo stuff, I'd go with the Megan Racing. It's $900 a set, dual adjustable ride height and suspension travel, adjustable dampening.

I have no idea about winter driving as these have a painted steel body so they may rust... but then a lot of coil overs are like that.

leif
11-19-2005, 12:44 PM
you could always buy my stock jics for 1100 and then sell them later when you have the money for a custom set up. :P

edit... you're in concord, im in walnut creek, you could come by and drive mine a bit to see how you like them if you want.

EVO GRIM
11-19-2005, 12:45 PM
My advice is dont mess with cheap struts. Better off to buy lowering springs and possibly camber plates. I spent more time on those damn d2's. They made awful noise when on bumpy roads.

lqdchkn
11-19-2005, 12:55 PM
you could always buy my stock jics for 1100 and then sell them later when you have the money for a custom set up. :P

edit... you're in concord, im in walnut creek, you could come by and drive mine a bit to see how you like them if you want.

Thanks for the offer 8) but as you can see from earlyapex's experience, these do not like snow.

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/for_sale/JICS_FOR_SALE/JIC04.jpg

earlyapex
11-19-2005, 05:09 PM
The apexi's ExV's I am running now are aluminum so you shouldn't have to worry about snow with them.

I love them on the street, and for the price they ain't bad on the track.

2:05 at thill so far with them. 8)

Great price , great coilovers

lqdchkn
11-19-2005, 07:29 PM
The apexi's ExV's I am running now are aluminum so you shouldn't have to worry about snow with them.

How soon are you looking to upgrade? Maybe I'll just wait and buy yours from you.

chrisw
11-19-2005, 07:30 PM

what about the road salt?

I would not recommend skimping on your coilovers. It's kind of like buying a house. figure out how much you can spend, then buy some just a little more expensive than what you think you can afford.

In the long run it will be worth it.

lqdchkn
11-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Am I wrong in assuming that since these are aluminium bodied the salt shouldn't effect them? Or have less of an effect anyway.

earlyapex
11-19-2005, 07:46 PM

what about the road salt?

I would not recommend skimping on your coilovers. It's kind of like buying a house. figure out how much you can spend, then buy some just a little more expensive than what you think you can afford.

In the long run it will be worth it.

They don't use salt in California anymore. And last time I checked aluminum doesn't rust. I guess it can corrode but again, they don't use salt in california.

For 90% street driving I would recommend these coilovers every time. Great price , around $1400-1500 and they ride great, made well, etc etc.

As far as skimping on coilovers, I guess I get your point, but they work well enough on track to keep alot of people in my rear view so hey, I ain't complaining for the price.

Mister_Pants
11-19-2005, 08:00 PM
I'll be getting the A'pex-i coilovers soon...from what everyone has said and everything I've read they are one of the best bang for the buck suspension packages. One thing's for sure though, don't go cheap just for the sake of having coilovers.

lqdchkn
11-19-2005, 08:11 PM
I'll be getting the A'pex-i coilovers soon...from what everyone has said and everything I've read they are one of the best bang for the buck suspension packages. One thing's for sure though, don't go cheap just for the sake of having coilovers.

It's definately not "...just for the sake of having coilovers." It's because I want to be able to find that "just right" ride height and be able to change it if necessary. ( between Winter and Summer wheel sets )

ZK
11-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Check the other threads .. the Megan Racing and Apexi ExV come from the same manufacturer, same spring rates etc. More $$ doesn't always mean it is better for your needs.

lqdchkn
11-19-2005, 08:19 PM
Check the other threads .. the Megan Racing and Apexi come from the same manufacturer, same spring rates etc.

I have, the concensus seems to be differences in the valving between manufacturers of the ApexI and look-a-like brands. I'm interrested in getting info from those that have experience on what holds up to winter abuse.

earlyapex
11-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Check the other threads .. the Megan Racing and Apexi ExV come from the same manufacturer, same spring rates etc. More $$ doesn't always mean it is better for your needs.

But you also said the Megan Racing ones are steel. The Apexi's are aluminum.

ZK
11-20-2005, 10:18 PM

But you also said the Megan Racing ones are steel. The Apexi's are aluminum.

I don't know for sure. It looks like painted steel but then so do the Apexi ones. So if the Apexi are aluminum then so are these. They have the same piston size, same spring rates, same company, go figure! Plus everyone who has had them have nothing but good stuff to report.

Like I said, don't be blinded by brand names. Even vendors are pretty much saying they are the same thing. There's been many threads on all sorts of car forums talking about this. If I remember correctly, one person bought a set of Megans and got the install instructions for the Apexi ExV in the box! But if you like to blow a couple hundred more for a sticker and some red color, more power to you.

earlyapex
11-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Like I said, don't be blinded by brand names. Even vendors are pretty much saying they are the same thing. There's been many threads on all sorts of car forums talking about this. If I remember correctly, one person bought a set of Megans and got the install instructions for the Apexi ExV in the box! But if you like to blow a couple hundred more for a sticker and some red color, more power to you.

Hehe, I'm not challenging you. If the Megan racing ones are the same but less cost, then by all means get those!

I am all about low-buck performance.

hell, I make 270whp/269wtq on the gruppe-s mustang dyno with only 3 power mods, and do 2:05 at thunderhill on $1395 coilovers. 8)

ZK
11-20-2005, 11:00 PM
Hehe, I'm not challenging you. If the Megan racing ones are the same but less cost, then by all means get those!

I am all about low-buck performance.

hell, I make 270whp/269wtq on the gruppe-s mustang dyno with only 3 power mods, and do 2:05 at thunderhill on $1395 coilovers. 8)

I used to run a lot of high buck JDM coilover suspension - after a while I'm thinking do I really need all that? In my past cars, the most expensive items on the car is the suspension set up! After modifying cars and racing the past 8 years, watching friends go through JIC/Cusco/Tein/Apexi/HKS blow up and leak and squeak and all sorts of problems, the name brand really doesn't mean much. I'm not saying they are bad but some of it really is junk despite the price you pay for them. And yeah, they work fine when new but come back after 50K miles of hard road and track and see which are still working.

My friend can go out and run top autocross times in his 90 Civic with 80hp 1.5 liter lawnmower engine and some Tokico shocks, Eibach sportline springs and a big sway bar. It was good enough to take him to a top 3rd place finish for the whole SFR season in ST-S.

I'm thinking Megans with some custom rate springs for my own Philip-spec suspension set up is good enough for my mostly street/occasional track set up. Plus I am tired of driving super stiff stuff on my daily driver. :lol:

earlyapex
11-21-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm thinking Megans with some custom rate springs for my own Philip-spec suspension set up is good enough for my mostly street/occasional track set up. Plus I am tired of driving super stiff stuff on my daily driver. :lol:

I hear that. They really do ride well. I am however going to put stiffer springs in the rear and I think they should get even better on track. That is really the only gripe I have with them on track, needs a bit more spring in the rear.

I had JIC's on my wrx and they where insanely brutal and I told myself I would never do that again.