PDA

View Full Version : repairing scratches in headlight lenses

b0yw0nder
11-21-2005, 07:53 PM
anyone ever done this?

i got a couple of scratches I want to take care of. that evodave guy will do them but he wants like 100bucks + shipping (like 60bucks each way).

EvoRicer
11-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Maybe Sand it out with Fine sand paper? EvoDave sands them out...I dont kno what kind of sand paper tho...

Dr. Evo
11-21-2005, 09:03 PM
They are plastic lenses, so use plastic polish. You can get it at any hardware store.

evo_dadi
11-21-2005, 09:30 PM
some plastic polishes wont work on deeper scratches tho.

b0yw0nder
11-27-2005, 12:05 AM
how did i put this in suspension, handling and braking? it can be moved to show and shine i guess.

plastic polish + lots of elbow grease = failure so far.

going to resort to sanding to see if it will make a difference.

b0yw0nder
12-18-2005, 06:34 PM
so, one of the lenses had a pretty deep gouge in it and both had some medium scratching.

i bought a 2000RPM random orbit polisher from kragen and went at it with NOVUS plastic polish from Tap Plastics.

they have 3 versions. 3 for deep scratches, 2 for light scratches and 1 for cleaning and polishing.

at first, I tried using the Novus stuff by hand but it wasn't getting me anywhere so I switched to the polisher.

after a LOT of work, i ALMOST got out the gouge and the medium scratching. BUT, there were still some remenants.

I also picked up some 800, 1500 and 2500 wet sand paper when I was at TAP. I followed that order making sure to soak the sand paper in water and a little bit of car shampoo.

Let's just say, sanding lenses like that is scary. They end up looking like garbage. I had faith though.

After I sanded out the scratches, medium, deep and light, I went back to the Novus products in order with the random orbit.

They turned out pretty damn good. Now I just want to plug them in and see how they look when light is shining through them. IF anyone's installing MR lights soon, let me know so I can come test my lights out.

I'll post the whole procedure eventually.