PDA

View Full Version : Goodridge brake line install question

Evo442
11-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Ok, so a got some Goodridge brake lines and was installing them before my track day tomorrow.

Was installing the fronts and it seems like the fitting on the non-caliper end is too short to attatch to the assembly in the upper part of the wheel well.

The goodridge lines/fittings look just like this ones in EvoM, reply #25.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=32678&page=2&pp=15

I think that the company sent me the wrong lines. Anyone out there have these lines on their car? Does the fittings on your lines look like the ones in the picture above? Is there something I need to know about putting these lines on?

Thanks in advance.

vtluu
11-24-2005, 12:16 PM
The line should be as long as (maybe a little bit longer) the stock brake line. Does the middle fitting slide around at all? On the WORKS line it slides freely. On the StopTech line it comes with two little black sleeves to keep it from sliding but they move rather easily, so I fixed them in place with zip ties:

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album06/st1.jpg

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album06/st2.jpg

I used the same position for the middle fitting as on the stock brake line. The length of the line between the middle (strut) fitting and the caliper needs to be long enough to avoid creating tension (pulling) on the fitting at the caliper, but short enough so the line doesn't contact the inside of the wheel. The length of the line between the middle fitting and the hard line fitting on the car needs to be long enough to support the full range of suspension travel and steering angle.

Evo442
11-24-2005, 02:34 PM
thanks tam. I phrased my post poorly. The FITTING on the non-caliper end seems too short to push up through the bracket on the car; I have to put a fair amount of tension on the system to screw the connector into the line fitting, and the fitting doesnt protrude far enough through the bracket hole to allow placement of the retainer clip.... was hoping to hear from someone who used the goodridge lines to see if they had problems with the install...

MarkSAE
11-24-2005, 04:09 PM
I had to shave the fitting slightly on my WORKS line for them to fit through that bracket. Is the hex too big to fit on that bracket?

Evo442
11-24-2005, 08:36 PM
I had to shave the fitting slightly on my WORKS line for them to fit through that bracket. Is the hex too big to fit on that bracket?

no, it seems like the ring part above the hex is too big to fit through the bracket, so the retainer clip cant clip on to the fitting.

vtluu
11-25-2005, 04:19 AM
Okay, I see what you mean. I didn't have any such problem with the WORKS fitting though I remember in a couple places I really had to work it around until it slipped into place--it was a pretty tight fit. The StopTech lines popped right in without any fuss.

On a somewhat-related note, do you guys use any kind of thread sealant or teflon tape on the fittings (especially the one that goes on the hard lines)? I don't and I don't seem to have any leakage of brake fluid at the fittings so I guess it's okay, but I was wondering if I should.

Evo442
11-25-2005, 06:21 AM
no, I haven't used any sealant. Havent had a problems as long as everything was tight.