PDA

View Full Version : hawk hp plus

evo637
12-02-2005, 07:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I just recently purchased the Ferodo DS2500 and came across the Hawk HP Plus while surfing the web. Has anyone tried the Hawk pads, if so what do you think.

thanks.

evo_dadi
12-02-2005, 09:08 PM
pretty good when i had them once in the track then the rest on autox but squealed like a mofo when daily driven.

STR8DVS
12-02-2005, 09:14 PM
Have the hps wich are not a rotor eater like the hp plus and I love them.

dohcvtec
12-02-2005, 09:32 PM
HP+ is a great pad, and doesn't eat rotors that bad. I'd say they're comparable to your DS2500's.

MarkSAE
12-02-2005, 10:03 PM
I currently have HP+'s for my rears. They work good enough for rear pads. They're quiet when cold, squeal when they start to heat up on the first few hard stops. But once they're heated up, they're quiet again.

Evo442
12-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Personally, I was not overly impressed at the track. Its probably a competent crossover pad, suitable for light track use, but not quite enough for my tastes for regular track use. I personally prefer the PF pads, project mu titan kai's and endless ccx pads over the hp+'s.

evo637
12-03-2005, 12:13 PM
I was just curious, how much did you guys pay for the DS2500. I got a set for about $300 at SRM. Is there a place that sells them at a lower price. I know you cant skimp on pads, but just curious.

ZK
12-03-2005, 12:41 PM
I've ran a HP + a lot on my previous cars. Works pretty good on street and track, high initial bite but squeals a lot and dusts up a lot on the street. So far the DS2500 has the same bite but less noise and dust.

Evo442
12-03-2005, 10:45 PM
I was just curious, how much did you guys pay for the DS2500. I got a set for about $300 at SRM. Is there a place that sells them at a lower price. I know you cant skimp on pads, but just curious.

I got some rear ds2500 from raceshopper.com for $75.

dohcvtec
12-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Thats where I buy my pads also. Edwin is a good guy.

smack
12-05-2005, 12:04 PM
i had +'s on my audi tt(993 turbo brake kit) and they kill the rotors way quicker than
even running the 3000's on the evo now. noisy as well. but then again so are the 3000's :lol:

the 2500's i think are a nice compromise for street and light track.

KitW
12-05-2005, 01:58 PM
I sold brake pads for 2 years.

The HP+ is dirt. It's one of the worst compromise pads out there. The biggest problem with them is when they do overheat (which they do with surprisingly little notice) they basically go to crap right away. Shooting off turn 2 at Laguna because you have no brakes sucks ass. Really badly.

Anyway, it's also garbage truck noisy, has bad wear rates, and is bad when cold.

No reason to use this pad at all. While the Axxis ultimates have less ultimate friction, they hold up better to abuse (although will go away if pushed too hard, as well, but they give more notice).

whiteknuckles
12-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Thats funny, I'm halfway through a set on my Evo 9 and I like them, good bite and fade resistance. I have 3000 miles on this car, 6 track days , 3 of those with the hp+ pads. Well , anything is an improvement over stock I guess. I think I'll try the Ferodo 2500 or Project MU Titans next. One thing though, these pads are LOUD, I mean super squeally.

vtluu
12-14-2005, 12:19 AM
I put Hawk HP+ pads on my Miata last week and ran them at Thunderhill. They worked well throughout the day with no sign of fade at all... But it's a completely different application--900 lbs lighter with less than half the power, and consequently extremely easy on brakes (my caliper temperatures never came within 100F of what I was getting on the Evo), so I guess that's no indication of how they'd do on an Evo. I had the Ferodo DS2500s on my Evo and they too exhibited the sudden fade KitW complained about... maybe not as soon as the HP+ would have. I've upgraded to even more aggressive pads in front, but still run the DS2500s in the back. You just need to choose the brake pads that are suitable for the car and speeds you're running at the track; the Hawks may be okay for you now, but later on you may outgrow them.

I bought both my Ferodos and Hawks from RaceShopper.com, got great prices for both.

Evo442
12-14-2005, 08:40 AM
I put Hawk HP+ pads on my Miata last week and ran them at Thunderhill. They worked well throughout the day with no sign of fade at all... But it's a completely different application--900 lbs lighter with less than half the power, and consequently extremely easy on brakes (my caliper temperatures never came within 100F of what I was getting on the Evo), so I guess that's no indication of how they'd do on an Evo. I had the Ferodo DS2500s on my Evo and they too exhibited the sudden fade KitW complained about... maybe not as soon as the HP+ would have. I've upgraded to even more aggressive pads in front, but still run the DS2500s in the back. You just need to choose the brake pads that are suitable for the car and speeds you're running at the track; the Hawks may be okay for you now, but later on you may outgrow them.

I bought both my Ferodos and Hawks from RaceShopper.com, got great prices for both.

How are you checking your caliper temps? Out of curiosity what kinds of numbers are you seeing? Is there a difference between the R front and the L front?