PDA

View Full Version : defeated by the fasteners for the air scoop on an 05?

b0yw0nder
12-04-2005, 07:06 PM
I tried pulling the ram air scoop off my 2005 to change the BOV, turns out the fasteners don't want to behave the way everyone says they should behave.

I tried pushing the center part in with a "sharpish" type object but they don't seem to move anywhere.

Just looking at the pictures, they look completely different than other years. In 05, they are just circular centers instead of hexagonal like the picture sfor other years.

any ideas?

MarkSAE
12-04-2005, 09:30 PM
The circular center ones are the ones used on the 03s to the early 05s. Mitsu changed them on the late 05s to the screw type. I've never heard or seen hexagonal center clips.

b0yw0nder
12-04-2005, 10:36 PM
how do the screw type work?

vtluu
12-05-2005, 12:47 AM
I have the screw types (replaced the old clips after they broke). You gently unscrew the middle part with a Philips driver until it sticks out about 1/4" and then you can pull the clip out.

:offrant:
The plastic fasteners ("scrivets") on the Evo suck. They break easily and the screw-type ones tend to wear out with use and become difficult to remove as the screw threads don't "catch" and you can't unscrew them. What also sucks about them is they cost $1.50 each. The ones holding my Miata's fender liners were great--one half-turn of the screwdriver, the fastener "clicks" and the center pin pops out and the whole thing comes out easily.

earlyapex
12-05-2005, 12:54 AM
The ones holding my Miata's fender liners were great--one half-turn of the screwdriver, the fastener "clicks" and the center pin pops out and the whole thing comes out easily.

Time to sell your evo!

vtluu
12-05-2005, 01:00 AM
:yuckfu:

MarkSAE
12-05-2005, 01:18 AM
The last time I was helping a friend change the tranny on his 01 Integra, I noticed that his plastic clips were super nice compared to ours. They have a hex head in addition to the philips head and they have a larger thread pitch, so they're easily removable and reuseable. I should see if those fit in our cars.

b0yw0nder
12-05-2005, 09:18 AM
i don't think it was THAT dark where I was working but I didn't see anywhere to put a screwdriver head.

it looked like there was only a hole.

now that I've tried pushing it with a phillips there is an indentation so hopefully that will let me pull them out.

dohcvtec
12-05-2005, 10:38 AM
For the circle ones, they need to be pulled up (Center circle needs to come up, no be pressed down). The easiest way to do this for that snorkle is to reach under those fasteners and push up with your finger. I usually just do the one I can reach from under and then swivel the snorkle on the last one.

b0yw0nder
12-05-2005, 11:18 AM
dohcvtec....NOW THAT sounds more like what I have. I'll try that. I could barely get my fingers in there.

b0yw0nder
12-05-2005, 11:07 PM
so.....I went back at it again tonight.

They are not the ones that you push from the bottom and they pop out the top. (like the ones holding the grills) You wouldn't even be able to reach the one closer to the passenger side.

It is not one of the ones where you push it downwards from the top.

They are not like the ones that hold the skidplate where they have like a phillips head on them and you can turn them. They do have like a hole on the top of them where you could put a small screw driver, but in my case it just dug a deeper hole.

I ended up using the brute force method on one of them so at least I could get an idea of what it was like. It obvs fell down into the skid plate and I had to open the EVO jizz trap to get it out. (ya thats right...jizz trap, thats what I'm calling the center part of the skidplate that drops down)

After looking at it, its a plastic rivet.

http://www.itw-fastex.com/images/items/008.jpg

At the factory, they have the rivet in there and then pull upwards on the stick part. The body folds outwards on the bottom side and its in there for life.

In retrospect, my recommendation would be to drill out the center like a regular rivet or get some kind of thin sharp thing (straight dental pick), put it in the middle and try to hammer the center downwards. I don't think the second method will work very well though. Brute force method with a screwdriver worked for me but caused me to scratch the inlet scoop jobby.

I picked up a couple of replacements from Pepboys cause kragen was already closed. It was a plastic screw rivet for 0.25in holes. These ones are the screw type (phillips) and the bottom locking part is about 0.5inch long.

Learn from my mistakes!

dohcvtec
12-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Weird, mine were just like I described. :? At least you got it taken care of! :)

earlyapex
12-06-2005, 12:47 AM
OH KNOEZ OUR PLASTIC RIVETS SUCK!!!1111!1one!1!11

Jayzus people, get over it.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ace33joe
12-06-2005, 04:13 AM
The circular center ones are the ones used on the 03s to the early 05s. Mitsu changed them on the late 05s to the screw type. I've never heard or seen hexagonal center clips.

Do you have the part number of the screw type?

MarkSAE
12-06-2005, 08:45 AM

Do you have the part number of the screw type?

Nope. I know WORKS does though.

vtluu
12-06-2005, 11:05 AM
:roll: You do like to trivialize other people's concerns, don't you?

You've obviously never found yourself crawling under your car at an event trying to see if the intercooler hose joint you've just blown is one of the ones that can only be seen by taking the undertray off. You're hot, you're uncomfortable, you're in a hurry and those #$@#*& things don't want to come out. Those scrivets are a huge waste of time (and money, since although they're hard to take out, they do tend to pop out by themselves rather often :pissed:) and a major annoyance for those of us who have.

Sometimes it's little changes that can make life so much better.

methods4
12-06-2005, 02:14 PM
.....You've obviously never found yourself crawling under your car at an event trying to see if the intercooler hose joint you've just blown is one of the ones that can only be seen by taking the undertray off. You're hot, you're uncomfortable, you're in a hurry and those #$@#*& things don't want to come out......

I've never experienced this myself. But I have seen you experience it first hand. Poor Tam. :P

earlyapex
12-06-2005, 02:17 PM
:roll: You do like to trivialize other people's concerns, don't you?

Maybe I am just used to dealing with those little beeotchs for 7 years. :evil:

vtluu
12-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Maybe I am just used to dealing with those little beeotchs for 7 years. :evil:
Ah, well you see, I'm willing to do something about it, unlike you. :nana: