PDA

View Full Version : Best way to change color of rims?

twinturbozs
12-10-2005, 08:07 PM
I was considering painting the center of my rims. I was curious which method is recommended? Should i take them to a body shop and have them paint the centers or have the center powdercoated? Thanks for any info.

Dutchboy
12-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Are you just thinking of painting the little mitsu diamonds, cuz you can buy little stickers to put there on ebay (and plenty of other places im sure), and it would prolly be cheaper than buying a bunch of paint or having a pro do it. If you are talking about something else, then i would say let a pro do it, unless you have no fear of messing up :wink:

twinturbozs
12-10-2005, 10:26 PM
I have aftermarket wheels but was wondering which is more preferable, powdercoating or having a Body shop paint my centerpieces.

Matz
12-11-2005, 12:59 AM
I have aftermarket wheels but was wondering which is more preferable, powdercoating or having a Body shop paint my centerpieces.

Either way sounds like overkill, especially since you'll probably have to fork out $50 for a pint of custom color, even though it's just for the little diamonds. The stickers are probably a good first pass, and will probably last a long time. I've seens several people use the color overlays on their Mitsu badges, and they look good -- no peeling yet.

twinturbozs
12-12-2005, 12:06 AM

Either way sounds like overkill, especially since you'll probably have to fork out $50 for a pint of custom color, even though it's just for the little diamonds. The stickers are probably a good first pass, and will probably last a long time. I've seens several people use the color overlays on their Mitsu badges, and they look good -- no peeling yet.

Im talking about painting my centerpieces not my centercaps. Basically changing the overall color of the rim except the lip.

Matz
12-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Im talking about painting my centerpieces not my centercaps. Basically changing the overall color of the rim except the lip.

Ahh okay. Maybe try Wheel Techniques in San Jose. I've heard nothing but good things about their work. I don't think they powdercoat, they just apply paint. I've heard bad things about powdercoating rims on evom, but I don't know if it's a bunch of crock or not.