PDA

View Full Version : Daily driving on Motul RBF600?

ZK
12-12-2005, 12:34 PM
Anyone daily drive on RBF600 or equivalent (i.e. Castrol SRF etc) brake fluid? I have a couple of bottles of the stuff and I was planning to change my brake fluid but not planning on any track days any time soon. All my driving will be street driving the next couple of months most likely.

Should I use the Motul or should I just get some ATE or off the shelf stuff at Kragen? I know the RBF600 is not recommended for street use and absorbs moisture? The Motul rep I talked to said it should be fine though, just need to flush it more often.

vtluu
12-12-2005, 04:14 PM
All DOT3/DOT4 brake fluids absorb moisture and I don't have any reason to believe Motul would be worse than any other fluid in this regard.

For street use it should be fine, though major overkill considering the cost. I use ATE Super Blue which is just about as good and much cheaper; I've had pads fade and even brake lines fail but I've never boiled my brake fluid. I thoroughly bleed the brakes before every track event; it's a good thing I can get it pretty cheap from Extreme Performance... Navid must think I drink the stuff, because I buy another quart every time I go there. :lol:

ZK
12-12-2005, 04:41 PM
All DOT3/DOT4 brake fluids absorb moisture and I don't have any reason to believe Motul would be worse than any other fluid in this regard.

For street use it should be fine, though major overkill considering the cost. I use ATE Super Blue which is just about as good and much cheaper; I've had pads fade and even brake lines fail but I've never boiled my brake fluid. I thoroughly bleed the brakes before every track event; it's a good thing I can get it pretty cheap from Extreme Performance... Navid must think I drink the stuff, because I buy another quart every time I go there. :lol:

Well, the whole reason I was thinking of doing it is because I have the stuff lying around and thought might as well put it in and not buy more brake fluid.

But I was thinking maybe it'd be better to run a less aggressive brake fluid for now and save the Motul for the summer track days...

Also, this guy's post on EvoM kinda got me thinking of the drawbacks to using the Motul in daily driving.

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2608691&postcount=14

earlyapex
12-12-2005, 10:09 PM
I've been doing it for years. I just bleed them more than usual. Keeping it fresh is key.

SouthBayGSR
12-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Used to run that stuff in my old 300Z. I heard it's a little harder on the seals (obviously) but never had any problems.

Nobodyx
12-14-2005, 02:31 PM
I've been doing it for years. I just bleed them more than usual. Keeping it fresh is key.

Same here.