PDA

View Full Version : Need opinion on coilovers.

Lurk
12-25-2005, 06:55 PM
I'm debating whether to go with the new Cusco Zero 2 E's or the HKS Hipermax II's. I want a smooth ride, not too bouncy but still good enough for the track. My friend has Zeal V6's on his EVO and they're way too bouncy for me. Between the Cusco's and HKS, which suspension is considered better overall?

stockEVO8
12-25-2005, 07:34 PM
i have the HKS hipermax and i think its perfect for daily driving but i think it will be to soft for track racing but nothing with changing the spring rates cant fix :wink: 8)

genrec
12-25-2005, 09:03 PM
if you go Cusco..you wantd the Zero 2R's...with the inverted strut design..!

Gruppe-S
12-25-2005, 10:01 PM
I had the Hipermax II before and they were great on the street. If you want a smooth ride, you might want to look at Hipermax RS. The spring rate isn't as high and it rides really nice on the road.

Thanks,
Tom

e8
12-25-2005, 10:34 PM
V6's too bouncy??

stock suspension is bouncier than the V6's imo.

Gruppe-S
12-25-2005, 11:56 PM
I have the v6 now and I wouldn't say its bouncy. Maybe bumpy at most but not bouncy. FYI, my spring rate are 12kg/10kg and I think it rides really smooth everywhere but SF. :lol:

Tom

Lurk
12-26-2005, 01:04 AM
Ok what about the Tein RA's? I never rode in a car that had those. How do those compare to the Cusco Zero2R's, HKS Hipermax, and Zeal V6? Are the Teins an inverted strut design or no?

earlyapex
12-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Also take a look at the Apexi ExV / Megan / Helix coilovers.

Great performance to buck ratio.

mrprotocols
12-26-2005, 09:03 PM
I got the HKS Hipermax, and they are great on daily street driving comfortable and handle well =)

bdking57
01-10-2006, 08:37 AM
what I dont get about these hi dollar coilovers is why did a certain sometime dramatically improve at autox after ditching his work tuned zeals in favor of a $700 set of coilovers his freind imported for him. If your looking to spend around 2K.. then splurge a little and get the Muellerized buddy clubs which out perform anythign at their price point. I was in a car with those and it felt incredible. I plan to go cheap and pick one of the ones bryan mentioned.

ZK
01-10-2006, 10:07 AM
If you are just comparing HKS and Cusco, the HKS rides a lot more smoother than the Cusco.

My friends who have had Cusco suspension in the past tend to be pretty bouncy. KYB makes the shocks for Cusco coilovers.

The bad thing about the HKS is that the US lines (Hipermax II, RS) don't have the dual adjustable ride height and spring preload so if you want to really lower your car a lot, it won't let you do it without ruining your ride quality.

Lurk
01-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Hmm, I still haven't chosen yet, but yeah I never knew that about the HKS coilovers, ZK. Thanks for lettin us know that. And as for Cusco I don't think I'll be getting those anymore, I rode in my friend's EVO with Cusco Zero2 suspension and it was a pretty harsh ride.

What about Tein RA's? I want a coilovers that use inverted struts, and the RA's have them. Anyone have any reviews on the Tein RA's?

earlyapex
01-10-2006, 10:39 AM
What about Tein RA's? I want a coilovers that use inverted struts, and the RA's have them. Anyone have any reviews on the Tein RA's?

Why do you only want inverted struts?

ZK
01-10-2006, 10:44 AM

RA is Tein's RACE suspension, I doubt they will ride very well at all on the street. I think it's discontinued now too. They have the "Super Racing" in the RA's place.

Rich
01-22-2006, 08:57 AM
I have been running Tein Flex's with EDFC on my little POS for about 6mo now. Being in the land of smooth roads, they are fine, but for some of the bay area blacktop, I would be hesitant to have them. Not saying all the roads in the bay are bad, but some are horrible.. i.e. 880.

The RA is still made, but it's only listed for a CE9A (Evo II/III) The RA would much stiffer then the Flex and even worse on the streets. If you are going with Tein, get the Flex, or something softer.