PDA

View Full Version : SF Body Shops

jstockdale
03-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Well, it finally happened, I did something stupid and scraped up quite a few of my body panels. So I need to find a really good body shop in the SF area that will work on Evos and really knows what they're doing (ie. I want it to come back better than it was from the factory :P )

Depending on the cost, I'm thinking of doing a full repaint while I'm at it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

-S ...

PS: SF Area in general would work, of course the closer to either Palo Alto, or WORKS, the better :)

JanSolo
03-15-2004, 04:55 PM
What? You didn't call Pete and ask him first? ;)

I figure he would know about 100 different shops to choose from with the way he drives.

jstockdale
03-15-2004, 05:01 PM
I talked to John a while back, who recommended German Auto Body in Santa Clara. So I drove down there, and they refused to even give me a quote because "We only work on German cars"

I talked to Tyler a couple times today and he's going to ask Pete, but in the meantime I figured I'd ask if anyone around here knew of a good place :)

-S ...

jstockdale
03-15-2004, 05:02 PM
BTW Jan ...

That Avatar has seriously scarred me for life.

:P

-S ...

JanSolo
03-15-2004, 05:15 PM
BTW Jan ...

That Avatar has seriously scarred me for life.

:P

-S ...

Behold! The future wife of JStockdale is my avatar!

vtluu
03-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Well, I heard there's this shop called BodyStyle in SJ that recently repainted Larry Ellison's M5. That good enough for ya? :lol: (Yeah, that's not technically in the SF area.)

So, Lord Stockdale, for our edification and education, you gonna tell us what happened? :)

jstockdale
03-15-2004, 07:04 PM
So first for an update, I went ahead and had a fairly local shop (founded by a Stanford Alum) called Yeaman Auto Body schedule me in after I got a quote. The quote came out to $2245 including replacing the R Fender Panel (Fuck Mitsubishi @ $415) and the R Rocker Molding (again ... FM @ $405), repainting, blending through the hood and r door, and clearcoating everything that's being worked on.

I'll get an additional 10% off of that price, so all up I'm looking at $2000 for the repair.

All the work carries a lifetime gaurentee, and they assured me that my Evo will be kept inside a locked, alarmed building, and will only be driven from the front of the shop to the back of the shop (for painting).

Does that quote sound fair to everyone?

Anyway, I'm scheduled in for the 29th, so everyone will get to see the damage at the 27th meet.

As for what happened (I'm an idiot :( ) ...

I was in the In 'N Out parking lot in Mountain View, and was backing up when I heard a crunch. Turns out that there was a 2 ft. tall plastic wheelbarrow sitting next to the curb, and it scraped against 3 body panels before crunching my right door molding and fender.

I swear, California is making me a worse driver by the minute.

-S ...

nebolic
03-15-2004, 07:07 PM
so does that include repainting the whole car? cuz you mentioned repainting the whole car(?) anyhow 2 Grand is about right if they do an excellent job. I have been in many accidents and $2G's is about right for those pieces. Its the labor thats expensive not the parts (well in this case both is expensive).

vtluu
03-15-2004, 07:08 PM
You should have made up a better story, like you were on a canyon run and scraped some guardrails. :lol:

Just kidding man, it's all good, sh*t happens to the best of us. (To me as well. ;))

jstockdale
03-15-2004, 07:35 PM
It doesn't include repainting the entire car (which they said would run about $6k) but it does include pollisihing out minor scratches, blending paint on the hood, r door, repainting the new pieces, and clear coating everything they touch.

The $6k estimate for a full repaint (I was thinking of doing a orange candy coat look) is partially because they pull off all the body pieces to do the repaint.

Thanks guys for sounding in on this ... it seemed like a fair price to me as well.

-S ...