PDA

View Full Version : head work

GokuSSJ4
01-02-2006, 01:04 PM
can any gains be seen with running a fully build head on the stock turbo ..
lets say a BJs stage 5++
which inlcudes :
ferrea valve springs, retainers, valve guides, keepers, 1mm over size valves
port and polish (intake and exhaust )
3 angle valve job...
can gains be seen ?
anyone have tried this before

craziazzmofo66
01-02-2006, 02:00 PM
im pretty sure head work that excessive can gain u some good poines...cause its givin u better flow there for u can turn up the boost a bit?? +it could possibly give u better gas milage when ur not ON it....

crctslt
01-02-2006, 05:02 PM
can any gains be seen with running a fully build head on the stock turbo ..
lets say a BJs stage 5++
which inlcudes :
ferrea valve springs, retainers, valve guides, keepers, 1mm over size valves
port and polish (intake and exhaust )
3 angle valve job...
can gains be seen ?
anyone have tried this before

Law of diminishing returns. Do you already run cams and cam gears? There will be gains but they would really start to show with a larger turbo.

earlyapex
01-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Like evan said,

Not really worth the price with stock turbo.

Better to get cams if you don't have them yet and/or a larger turbo. Way more bang for the buck.

ez76
01-02-2006, 10:12 PM
I would have to agree.

My previous set-up was a TME6.5 turbo, BJ's stage 5++ head, Piper rally cams, full TBE, tubular exhaust manifold, tubular O2 housing, AMS intercooler.

On 100 octane my peak HP was something like 337whp on Shiv's DD dyno. And this was after a ton of cam gear experimentation just to get the cams idling streetably.

Previously, without the nifty head and with just plain old HKS 264/272 cams, my peak was about 323whp on Shiv's dyno, on 100 octane.

Do the math, that's a hell of a lot of money to spend for 14whp.

Of course this was before the advent of white rabbits, 20G-9's, and other stock-plus turbos that allegedly breathe better up top, but bottom line, it's not a likely bang for the buck mod unless you're going big turbo.

GokuSSJ4
01-03-2006, 12:51 AM
im currently running the WR ...
i will add cams (i have cam gears sitting at home) along with the head
either dual 272/272 HKS or Tomei 280/280 (havent decided yet on which one..
i was able to get the head for a great price, which is why i bought the head...
i figure that even Buschur racing stage IV with his stage III head gave great results to Robi and Deiter (on the stock turbo) but theres not too many peeps running such mods...
i plan to stay with this set up for awhile, i was wondering what gains can be expected...
i mean i figure if the gains can be similar to adding cams, i would be more then happy with it...
i know i would get the most with running more displacement and a larger turbo then the WR... but im trying to squeez the most i can out of the stock set up (with the WR)

EFIxMR
01-03-2006, 02:38 AM
if you want to pick up some power without going into the motor you should consider the FR oem replacement manifold. Also not sure if you have one already, but the 02 housing upgrade seems like a great bang for the buck.

GokuSSJ4
01-03-2006, 09:57 AM
if you want to pick up some power without going into the motor you should consider the FR oem replacement manifold. Also not sure if you have one already, but the 02 housing upgrade seems like a great bang for the buck.
maybe i should of been abit more specific, since i will have all the supporting mods besides the head..
here is a list of mods: and future mods along with the head:
Dr. Gray stage 1++
FMIC nisei
fuel pump
WR
720cc injectors
SAFC (will consider ecu+ in the future)
MBC
Turbo back (WORKS) 76mm
HFC or rally cat (not install)
WORKS 02 housing (not install)
cams 272/272HKS or tomei 280/280 (not install
cam gears (Toda) (not install)
i have at home some ferrea valvetrain (the entire deal)
BJ's stage 5++ headwork (waiting to be install )
w/ head studs
i will also take my exhaust manifold and have it ported

earlyapex
01-03-2006, 12:28 PM
i mean i figure if the gains can be similar to adding cams, i would be more then happy with it...

I will be utterly suprised if you even get close to the 33whp I got with 272/272 cams and gears with that head.

GokuSSJ4
01-03-2006, 01:04 PM
the buschur stage IV is very similar to what i have
some one was able to get 25whp with the EMS and 12whp on the flash... hopefully i can gain some where in between ... i would be more then happy with some where around 15-20whp

earlyapex
01-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Well since you already bought the head, and if you are doing a proper job with headstud install, then your head is going to be off anyway.

Might as well slap the built head on.

let us know how it goes.

It's going to be *really* hard to tell what gains the head is giving you since you are going to be installing all that other crap along with it.

GokuSSJ4
01-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Well since you already bought the head, and if you are doing a proper job with headstud install, then your head is going to be off anyway.

Might as well slap the built head on.

let us know how it goes.

It's going to be *really* hard to tell what gains the head is giving you since you are going to be installing all that other crap along with it.
im adding the cams, 02 housing and build head... i figure since i bought a set of ferrea stuff along with it what better time then to have everything install... but lucky me i was able to get a build head stage 5++ with all the goodies along with it and im able to keep my stock head... so i might have my new ferrea stuff for sale soon (dont know yet)
For more information go to: www.ferrea.com

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wOTk3NzgzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wOTk3Nzg0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wOTk3Nzg1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wOTk3Nzg2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

as long as im able to accomplish a nice power band and peak #'s around 360whp (DJ) on pump gas.... is well worth it!

ez76
01-03-2006, 05:20 PM
holy huge image faux pas batman! can a brother get a resize up in this piece? from a mod no less! :lol:

GokuSSJ4
01-03-2006, 07:06 PM
holy huge image faux pas batman! can a brother get a resize up in this piece? from a mod no less! :lol:
bah, ill post a link instead :P