PDA

View Full Version : Powerflex motor mount installation?

Matz
01-05-2006, 09:03 AM
I did some searching here and Google (site:norcalevo.net) for "powerflex"' and "powerflex motor mount", but didn't find much, other than a great carebear image from earlyapex that I hadn't seen before. :) Maybe I should try "engine mount" instead.

Anyhow, I know Marcel was interested in this engine mount on evom, so maybe he's already installed it. The installation didn't sound bad when reading the text, but I was wondering if any of you guys here have had any experience installing one. I've got one on order, since it was a pretty cheap mod -- only $50, and may make the Evo shift a little better. Didn't want to get an engine damper.

MarkSAE
01-05-2006, 09:25 AM
I have one on order as well. The reviews on it seem pretty good. The hardest part of this install will be pressing out the original mount. I've installed the rear trailing arm bushings on my car, so this install should be the same. The stock mount has a metal sleeve on it that you need to press on to get out. So I need to find a pipe size that matches that metal sleeve.

Matz
01-05-2006, 09:49 AM
I have one on order as well. The reviews on it seem pretty good. The hardest part of this install will be pressing out the original mount. I've installed the rear trailing arm bushings on my car, so this install should be the same. The stock mount has a metal sleeve on it that you need to press on to get out. So I need to find a pipe size that matches that metal sleeve.

Cool! Thanks for the info. I assume that you're getting the pipe to wail on to remove the bushing -- if you need to use the arbor press at my office to get the bushing out, let me know. We're in Menlo Park. Let me know ahead of time what the diameter is, and I'll machine an adapter for the press.

I found a link on evom for the install (http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=177031).

By the way, I seem to be copying your upgrade path unintentionally. Why don't you order two of whatever you're putting on next to save me the trouble of deciding what to put in my car? :lol:

MarkSAE
01-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Cool! if you can make an press adapter, that'd be sweet.. it'll be a while before I get a chance to measure the diameter. I ordered the part from Forge, but am waiting for the brake ducts to come out so they can ship me both parts together.

haha.. yeah, we definitely seem to be following the same mod path. The next thing on my wishlist is a set of wheels w/ RA1s. I'm most likely gonna get some 17x9 5-zigens.

Matz
01-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Cool! if you can make an press adapter, that'd be sweet.. it'll be a while before I get a chance to measure the diameter. I ordered the part from Forge, but am waiting for the brake ducts to come out so they can ship me both parts together.

haha.. yeah, we definitely seem to be following the same mod path. The next thing on my wishlist is a set of wheels w/ RA1s. I'm most likely gonna get some 17x9 5-zigens.

ok, I'll make the adapter when my part comes in, since I'll probably get mine first.

Well, so much for following your mod path. I won't ever be getting wheels. I bought Percy's old stock Enkeis, so I'll be putting RA1's or something similar on them when my Evo is ready for the track again. :)

earlyapex
01-05-2006, 11:44 AM
btw I ordered the powerflex bushing as well.

I also ordered a new motor mount so I can just push the powerflex bushing in and just swap the whole thing in. :)

Cost $35 but will save me a arseload of time.

Matz
01-05-2006, 11:53 AM

I also ordered a new motor mount so I can just push the powerflex bushing in and just swap the whole thing in. :)

I need to read the installation instructions still... shouldn't take long to press out the old bushing, right?

earlyapex
01-05-2006, 12:39 PM

I need to read the installation instructions still... shouldn't take long to press out the old bushing, right?

Sure, if you have a press, its cake. If not I am sure its kind of a PITA. $35 is worth saving even an hour of my time and alot of swearing. :P

MarkSAE
01-05-2006, 12:43 PM

If you got all the right tools, it's pretty straight forward. The adapter piece is critical though. The adapter outside diameter needs to be just a few thousanths of an inch smaller than the mount inside diameter. You have to press it out on the old mount's metal sleeve. Pressing on the rubber part will do you no good.

Or you can go ghetto and cut the old mount out. hehe

evo_dadi
01-05-2006, 02:09 PM
hey mat i havent even installed mine yet :oops: :lol: but my neighbor has a press that i can borrow so ill try to get a write up done to it.

earlyapex
01-12-2006, 03:30 PM

I received my stock new motor mount and it came with a stock bushing already installed. :?

Guess I have to use a press anyway now. :( At least my car won't be down while I do it.

warpspeed
01-12-2006, 05:16 PM
One thing you guys have to remember about these kind of mounts. Since they are alot more stiffer than the stock, you will feel more vibration inside the cabin, trust me on this one. I've changed a few of these mounts(urethane and so on). They are great for track but for daily driving, it can get annoying. I have a set for the civic that I swap in and out during my track time and put back the stock for daily driving.

EvoRicer
01-12-2006, 05:56 PM
I have the Power Flex Motor mount in my car right now. To tell you the truth, the Vibration isnt really all that noticeable to be so Annoying. Well for my car anyway. Not all cars will act the same. But the shifts are much more smoother.

I did NOT use a press...I didnt have one and took me about 45 minutes to take out the mount and put it back in. I probably could have cut it down to 20 to 30 mins but I wasnt paying attention to the other side.

I used a Flat screw driver and rammed it between the mount and the bushing by hammering the flat. I just kept on doing that until it goes through to the other side. Then move the flat over a little and repeat until you see the Mount slide through the mount about 1 to 3 cms. Then take a Hammer and Hammer the middle Metal sleeve until the bushing comes out. I also sprayed a crap load of WD 40 on both sides of the mount before I started to take it out. That probably made it easier.

Putting the mount back in was Cake. You will need to Use a flat to assist the Power Flex back into the Mount since it is a little bigger in Diameter.

Matz
01-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Mine just arrived today! I think you guys will get a kick out of this:

Fitting is always possible by hand, no presses are required.

hmm... from what everyone has been saying... yeah RIGHT.

EvoRicer
01-13-2006, 12:25 AM

You dont really need a press. Read my post ^^^^

Matz
01-13-2006, 12:28 AM

You dont really need a press. Read my post ^^^^

hehe yeah, I read it... I was just thinking that PowerFlex is implying that you don't need to use any tools -- just press it out by hand! :wink:

EvoRicer
01-13-2006, 12:35 AM
Ahh. Ok. Sorry im slow...

earlyapex
01-13-2006, 12:48 AM
hehe yeah, I read it... I was just thinking that PowerFlex is implying that you don't need to use any tools -- just press it out by hand! :wink:

I think they mean pressing their bushing in is possible by hand since it's in two halfs.

Matz
01-13-2006, 06:32 AM

I think they mean pressing their bushing in is possible by hand since it's in two halfs.

False advertising, I say! I've been misled. :lol:

smack
01-13-2006, 10:30 AM
i'll take it off your hands for ya...

Matz
01-13-2006, 11:03 AM
i'll take it off your hands for ya...

you'll have to pry it out of my cold, heavy arbor press. :D

evo_dadi
01-15-2006, 09:57 PM
well i just installed mine today and it took me about 3.5 hours :shock: but had other stuff to install so i couldnt really tell how long it took me.i had to pop off the old mount using the screwdriver method since after i asked my neighbour about borrowing his press,later to find out which was too small for the task needed :x

so what i did was jam the screwdriver with a hammer between the ring and the base mount and just bent that crap out of it and popped it pretty quick.
http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album81/HPIM0442.sized.jpg
http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album81/HPIM0446.sized.jpg
http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album81/HPIM0447.sized.jpg

i left the mount connected to the rest of the beam so this makes it easier to handle if youre not gonna be using a press to take out the older mount.and my $1 store flathead ended up like a chisel after hitting it with the hammer which kinda made it easier for me to hit.

Matz
01-15-2006, 11:19 PM
Hey, nice work, Marcel! Thanks for posting pics, cuz I had no idea what it looked like until I saw your post. :oops:

I have to make an adapter for the press we have at work. I guess it's fair to assume that I should machine the OD of the adapter to be the same as the diameter of the new bushing just below the lip?

evo_dadi
01-15-2006, 11:29 PM
yeah use the no dont use the new bushing as a measurement since the edge of it is bigger and it actually overlaps over the housing.look on the 2nd picture when the powerflex bushing is upright.when you pull off the stock mount youll notice there's a little gap between the housing and bushing so measure the inside ring for the adapter on your press.

edit

i just re-read your post :oops: yeah just measure it before the lip for the adapter :D

Matz
01-15-2006, 11:43 PM
i just re-read your post :oops: yeah just measure it before the lip for the adapter :D

hehe... cool, thanks. I just wanted to know so I could have the adapter ready before I work on the mount... hopefully will get to install it next weekend. Damn, got too much to do on the Evo.

evo_dadi
01-15-2006, 11:45 PM
have fun taking off the splash guard :lol: just get a bucket ready for all those clips that youre gonna take off.

Matz
01-15-2006, 11:59 PM
have fun taking off the splash guard :lol: just get a bucket ready for all those clips that youre gonna take off.

Haha yeah, you mean the undertray? I just had it removed to go on the dyno last week, and now I gotta pull it off again. BTW, you'd had your Evo dyno'd before -- do they usually pull off the undertray?

evo_dadi
01-16-2006, 02:13 AM
thats the first time ive heard of that :shock: ive dynoed my car quite a lot and i never had to take them off.

Matz
01-16-2006, 06:58 AM
thats the first time ive heard of that :shock: ive dynoed my car quite a lot and i never had to take them off.

I thought it was a little weird, but didn't argue because I've never dyno'd before. Makes me wonder where they actually anchored my car in the front. :shock:

earlyapex
01-16-2006, 09:25 PM
Haha yeah, you mean the undertray? I just had it removed to go on the dyno last week, and now I gotta pull it off again. BTW, you'd had your Evo dyno'd before -- do they usually pull off the undertray?

What the hell? Why in the world would they have to take off your undertray to dyno your car? If they have to take it off for anchor points, time to find a new dyno faculity.

Matz
01-16-2006, 09:46 PM

What the hell? Why in the world would they have to take off your undertray to dyno your car? If they have to take it off for anchor points, time to find a new dyno faculity.

My thoughts exactly. I was a little suspicious myself when they anchored to my FMIC. :shock: I'll probably just dyno at EIP from now on since it's only a couple of miles from my house.

Just kidding about the FMIC bit. :lol:

evo_dadi
01-16-2006, 10:15 PM
man i should call you whenever im at the shop since you live close :lol:

Matz
01-17-2006, 07:31 AM
man i should call you whenever im at the shop since you live close :lol:

I should swing by the shop on my way back from the office, since my schedule is all over the place. When are you usually around?

vtluu
01-17-2006, 10:20 AM
What the hell? Why in the world would they have to take off your undertray to dyno your car?
Maybe he has NOS and he hasn't told us? Everybody knows that when you yell out "NAWWWWSSSS!!!" your floorpan falls out. So taking off the undertray is just a safety measure. :lol:

Matz
01-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Maybe he has NOS and he hasn't told us? Everybody knows that when you yell out "NAWWWWSSSS!!!" your floorpan falls out. So taking off the undertray is just a safety measure. :lol:

Spilner beat me to it, and the local speed shop is all out of tanks. I'll never put NOS in again, after doing something totally stupid and completely destroying the torque converter in my old Nissan Maxima. :lol: :shock: :oops:

KevOVIII
01-17-2006, 02:09 PM
Installed the mount yesterday. Took about 15 minutes to bang the thing out. I used a flathead screwdriver to bend the OEM bushing like what evo_dadi did, but after thinking about it, I don't think that was necessary.

Stand on the crossbeam and hammer the metal sleeve on the old mount (used a rubber mallet and regular hammer). The OEM bushing will come out.

While I had everything apart, I put in the eBay O2 housing and Forge wastegate actuator (red spring).

Matz
01-17-2006, 04:17 PM
Installed the mount yesterday. Took about 15 minutes to bang the thing out. I used a flathead screwdriver to bend the OEM bushing like what evo_dadi did, but after thinking about it, I don't think that was necessary.

Stand on the crossbeam and hammer the metal sleeve on the old mount (used a rubber mallet and regular hammer). The OEM bushing will come out.

While I had everything apart, I put in the eBay O2 housing and Forge wastegate actuator (red spring).

Damn, I think it'll take longer for me to machine the adapter for the press than it takes you guys to bang it out!!! :oops:

KevOVIII
01-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Damn, I think it'll take longer for me to machine the adapter for the press than it takes you guys to bang it out!!! :oops:

lol You really should try banging it out. All you need are:
1) balance
2) hammer (rubber mallet optional)

I spent more time trying to drive the screwdriver between the mount and bushing than I did pounding the bushing out.

Matz
01-17-2006, 05:09 PM

lol You really should try banging it out. All you need are:
1) balance
2) hammer (rubber mallet optional)

I spent more time trying to drive the screwdriver between the mount and bushing than I did pounding the bushing out.

Crap. I don't have #1. Can I pick it up at Kragen's? :lol:

gbpkr
01-17-2006, 05:10 PM

Not to jack the thread, but, how did that install go? I am going to do a manifold and an O2 swap next week. Did you take the hotside off the car, or did you swap the o2 without removing the hotside?

MarkSAE
01-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Hmm.. it might just be easier to just pound that sucker out!

KevOVIII
01-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Crap. I don't have #1. Can I pick it up at Kragen's? :lol:

:lol:

Not to jack the thread, but, how did that install go? I am going to do a manifold and an O2 swap next week. Did you take the hotside off the car, or did you swap the o2 without removing the hotside?

I didn't have to take out the turbo, hotside, or manifold for the O2 swap but I did take out the radiator. The one nut close to the block was the hardest one to break loose.

Hmm.. it might just be easier to just pound that sucker out!

Yup! Just don't hit your feet/legs.

evo_dadi
01-17-2006, 08:40 PM
well when i did the screwdriver trick it was out in a few minutes but the crossbeam was really kinda awkward.and yeah you gotta be careful not to pound yourself :lol: