PDA

View Full Version : New Exhaust project

gbpkr
01-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Well, I jumped on the bandwagon after I saw the positive results Buschur had .....I bought the Ebay O2 housing. I got it for $91 shipped!! It looks exactly like the Megan Racing, Helix, and a couple of other O2 housings I have seen. I figured I'd give it a try. Anyway, I also bought a used exhaust manifold and I had it ported by Road Race (the Best Shop...PERIOD).

Anyway, I just brought them to West Coast Coating to have them ceramic coated. $164 for both.. I guess that might be a little pricey, but the place was close to the house so it was easy.

Anyway, I plan to dyno and run the car at the track after I install the new stuff. I am not expecting anything major, I just want to maximize my step up. I am not planning on doing much more with the car, so I am going to try to improve what I have.

I would post pics, but I don't have the technology. If you go to my gallery, I have before pics of the manifold and o2 housing.

My current set up is: Works P2, Works 70 mm down pipe, Works drop in filter, Tanabe cat back. The last time I dynoed a Gruppe S (Great Shop too!) I got 258 whp and 248 torque. Last month I ran 12.9 @ 105 at Sacramento.

Matt

Matz
01-09-2006, 12:01 PM
too lazy to find pics in gallery. :) Are you running an Evo IX???

gbpkr
01-09-2006, 12:09 PM
too lazy to find pics in gallery. :) Are you running an Evo IX???

Negative. Evo Viii MR

JanSolo
01-09-2006, 02:21 PM
http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album194/o2_2.jpg

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album194/02_3.jpg

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album194/Manifold2.jpg

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album194/Manifold_1.jpg

gbpkr
01-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Thanks Jan!

TSi_2_EVO
01-09-2006, 04:17 PM
did you get the o2 ported also or is that how it came to you? How much did RRE charge you for the port job?

earlyapex
01-09-2006, 04:22 PM
I have the same 02 housing for sale. :D

gbpkr
01-09-2006, 05:19 PM
did you get the o2 ported also or is that how it came to you? How much did RRE charge you for the port job?

That's how it came, it is pretty opened up. RRE charged me $75 for the porting on the manifold.

jdmgraphiteMR
01-09-2006, 05:25 PM
where is that rre place i want to get my manifold ported :D

methods4
01-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Address located at:

www.roadraceengineering.com

gbpkr
01-17-2006, 12:27 PM
First lame attempt to post pics...

gbpkr
01-17-2006, 12:28 PM
I got the parts back today. they turned out great......except they are chrome instead of black!!!! It is not a big deal, I think the chrome will promote smoother flow? Anyway, I will definitely paint the O2 black, the chrome stock manifold is not bad, but the shiney O2, I can't have that. Anyway, I ordered the install hardware so I won't be installin until next week... Check my gallery for the after photos, I suck at postin pics on the internet.

One more thing, this place with ceramic coat o2 housings for $35...

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/modules.php?set_albumName=album194&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

dohcvtec
01-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Red X

earlyapex
01-17-2006, 12:41 PM
You might want to get that nice and safe 12.0 AFR fixed while you are at it:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album194/Air_Fuel.sized.jpg

That's a WORKS P2? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

dohcvtec
01-17-2006, 12:43 PM
haha, holy shit!!

I can't believe some of these Works flashes out there. Worst thing for your Evo on planet earth.

EDIT:
I just read that and it came across pretty harsh, don't take it personally gbpkr :)

gbpkr
01-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Yes it is. I am working on it....They told me it was just that dyno, but I have seen other dynos with P2s getting shitty afr's, so something is not right...

vtluu
01-17-2006, 12:46 PM
This is with a stock cat? Not sure how much I trust those AFR readings if they're done at the tailpipe...

gbpkr, go to WORKS and get them to do an AFR datalog session; they'll measure the AFR before (actually without) the cat and can adjust the P2 if it's running too lean.

dohcvtec
01-17-2006, 12:48 PM
This is with a stock cat? Not sure how much I trust those AFR readings if they're done at the tailpipe...
There is only like a .1 ~ .2 difference dude. I would trust them.

earlyapex
01-17-2006, 12:49 PM

WORKS tell you that? You didn't even know what a A/C condensor looks like. :lol:

You going to trust your car to something someone said or actual data?

dohcvtec
01-17-2006, 12:50 PM

WORKS tell you that? You didn't even know what a A/C condensor looks like.
haha, omg :owned:

gbpkr
01-17-2006, 12:50 PM
No, it is with a test pipe. That is why I have been on the fence, it is from the tailpipe...But, others have been ok, the afr does concern me though. I got the Works flash because of their product quality, but that is a little unsettling....

gbpkr
01-17-2006, 12:51 PM

gbpkr, go to WORKS and get them to do an AFR datalog session; they'll measure the AFR before (actually without) the cat and can adjust the P2 if it's running too lean.

I think I will run over there next week, thanks for the info.

dohcvtec
01-17-2006, 12:53 PM
No, it is with a test pipe. That is why I have been on the fence, it is from the tailpipe...But, others have been ok, the afr does concern me though. I got the Works flash because of their product quality, but that is a little unsettling....
If you're worried the AFR's are incorrect, take it to another dyno with a WB o2 and compare the readings. I would trust tailpipe readings 100%, especially using a testpipe.

dohcvtec
01-17-2006, 12:53 PM

I think I will run over there next week, thanks for the info.
I would NOT go to works for an "un-biased" comparison.

earlyapex
01-17-2006, 12:54 PM
btw. My wideband that is in my downpipe actually reads LEANER than gruppe-s's tailpipe wideband. 11.5 at the DP would be approx 11.3 at the tailpipe.

There is some data for you.

vtluu
01-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Regardless he has to go to WORKS to get the P2 adjusted anyway, and to do that they'll need to measure the AFR. gbpkr, try to get a copy of their AFR readings, I'm curious how they'll compare against the dyno results.

turbotiger
01-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Holy $hit, that's a horrible AFR curve.
I hope that was a bad reading, otherwise the works off the shelf tune is crap.

vtluu
01-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Did you get the P2 updated after you did the latest exhaust changes? WORKS has a whole bunch of different pre-made P2 maps for different mods.

earlyapex
01-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Did you get the P2 updated after you did the latest exhaust changes? WORKS has a whole bunch of different pre-made P2 maps for different mods.

Good point Tam, off-the-shelf flashes only good for what mods they where flashed to.

gbpkr
01-17-2006, 02:26 PM

I called and they told me the flash I had was ok for my mods. I am still going to make my way over to Works to get it sorted out.

earlyapex
01-17-2006, 03:20 PM
gbpkr,

So what was the grand total OTD on the ceramic coating?

egui42
01-17-2006, 03:24 PM

I called and they told me the flash I had was ok for my mods. I am still going to make my way over to Works to get it sorted out.

Let us know how it goes. Thanks in advance. :lol:

gbpkr
01-17-2006, 03:58 PM
gbpkr,

$164.80

earlyapex
01-17-2006, 04:01 PM
gbpkr,

$164.80

not bad.

gbpkr
01-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Well, I installed the parts. I'd say the install went smooth...but that would be a lie. I broke a downpipe bolt and that messed it all up. Other than my mess ups, the install was not that bad.

Anyway, the car pulls noticably harder up top. I am going to try to get it dynoed in the next couple of weeks. And, hopefully I will take it to the track as soon as I can.

gbpkr
01-31-2006, 12:09 AM
I went to Works today and talked to them about the leaner conditions on the runs. They told me the same things that I have heard about the Gruppe S dyno before (Nothing negative, just a difference of opinion on dyno philosophies) . Which I am confortable with, but I am going to a different dyno and see what the results are like.

One thing I did learn is I have had the Works flash for over 20,000 miles with no problems. Do I wish I was getting more power....sure, but I am more than happy with the flash.

crctslt
02-01-2006, 01:37 AM
I have had good results with West coast Specialty Coatings in Concord as well. I had the exhaust manifold ceramic coated and the intake manifold and valve cover powdercoated and polished for $300.00. The work is nice.

On a side note your beautiful chrome ceramic coating on your exhaust components will turn a lovely shade of primer gray over the next few months... :roll:

gbpkr
02-01-2006, 06:45 AM
Yea, that's why I wanted the black color... It still beats the lovely shade of rust they were before.

crctslt
02-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Yea, that's why I wanted the black color... It still beats the lovely shade of rust they were before.

True. That's why I have it also 8)