PDA

View Full Version : Surprise (WORKS O2 housing)

vtluu
01-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Before:

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album06/o2h_oem.jpg

After:

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album06/o2h_works.jpg

Who would've thunk it? The bigger WORKS cast O2 housing is lighter.

Installation was straightforward albeit rather lengthy. I ended up taking off the radiator (that part was easy), bumper, and lower IC pipe (which was blocking access to some of the bolts). Took off the exhaust manifold heat shield as well. There was one bolt I couldn't get back on, which was side bolt holding the O2 housing heat shield--too little space to reach back in with the bolt and get it threaded, and maybe my heat shield is tweaked or something because I don't think the hole in the heat shield lined up with the tap in the new O2 housing. Anyway I got the other 3 bolts on and the heat shield is on there solid, no rattling around or anything--good enough.

Some of the bolts on the O2 housing were difficult to reach to loosen, and even more difficult to reach to tighten since the new bigger piece left less room to maneuver tools around. I got all the bolts reasonably tight but I doubt they're all torqued fully to spec. Maybe if I'd unbolted the hotside from the header and unclamped it from the rest of the turbo, I could have taken off the O2 housing and hotside together, and easily reach the O2 housing bolts with the assembly off the car? Kinda makes me wish I'd upgraded the hotside at the same time, 'cuz now I'll have to repeat this whole procedure sometime in the future.

Anyway I haven't had the chance to test it yet since my DP is at WORKS getting an WB O2 sensor bung welded in--should be done tomorrow. Which will give me time to put in the fuel pump and ECU+ tonight... :twisted:

dohcvtec
01-11-2006, 10:47 AM
You weigh your dope on that scale? :)

You probably should just just pulled the whole turbo out.

vtluu
01-11-2006, 11:03 AM
You weigh your dope on that scale? :)
Who's asking? And would they like some? :lol:

Brian's right; some women are obsessed with their weight, I'm obsessed with the weight of my car parts. I bought that scale specifically to weigh bits going on and coming off my car. :oops:

I think taking off the hotside would have been easier--it looks like all that hold it on are four bolts to the header, and something that looks like a beefy clamp to the rest of the turbo... am I right? Taking off the whole turbo seems messy since I'd have to undo the oil lines...

Matz
01-11-2006, 11:18 AM
Nice work! What happened to writing up one of Tam's fabulous how-tos? :)

So I guess you're skeptical about the lifespan of the WB in the stock O2 location? I have my M-300 on order, but was going to use the stock O2 location and send the simulated O2 reading to the ECU. Just wondering what your thoughts are. Since I don't feel ambitious enough to rip apart my car to get the DP out (to get a bung welded in), maybe I'll be the NCE guinea pig to find out once and for all what happens if you do put a WB in the stock location.

dohcvtec
01-11-2006, 11:20 AM

So I guess you're skeptical about the lifespan of the WB in the stock O2 location? I have my M-300 on order, but was going to use the stock O2 location and send the simulated O2 reading to the ECU. Just wondering what your thoughts are. Since I don't feel ambitious enough to rip apart my car to get the DP out (to get a bung welded in), maybe I'll be the NCE guinea pig to find out once and for all what happens if you do put a WB in the stock location.
The stock location is way too close to the head. It needs to be placed further downstream from the head. I think the sensor will even say how far it needs to be. If you don't want to weld in a bung, next best place is the 2nd O2 location if you're running a test pipe.

Matz
01-11-2006, 11:22 AM
The stock location is way too close to the head. It needs to be placed further downstream from the head. I think the sensor will even say how far it needs to be. If you don't want to weld in a bung, next best place is the 2nd O2 location if you're running a test pipe.

I knew you were going to say that. :D OK, ok, I'll get off of my lazy ass and not offer my WB sensor to the heat gods.

vtluu
01-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Thought about it, but I started at 10pm and finished at 4am (okay I was taking my sweet time) so I'm glad I didn't try to take pictures along the way. I'll do it when I put in the 10.5 hotside and/or turbo upgrade, later... :twisted:

Since I don't feel ambitious enough to rip apart my car to get the DP out (to get a bung welded in), maybe I'll be the NCE guinea pig to find out once and for all what happens if you do put a WB in the stock location.
If you're not feeling ambitious enough to get the DP out--unbolt the two stock cross braces, then unbolt the DP from the cat and O2 housing--you're probably not feeling ambitious enough to take off the undertray, take out the radiator, unbolt the O2 housing heat shield in order to get to the stock O2 sensor. :shock: Seriously, taking the DP off is the easiest way to go by far.

vtluu
01-11-2006, 11:45 AM
One thing I meant to ask: I took out the radiator and found another thin radiator-like element, pretty much the same width and height as the actual radiator, sitting right in front of it. What is that? For the A/C?

earlyapex
01-11-2006, 11:55 AM
One thing I meant to ask: I took out the radiator and found another thin radiator-like element, pretty much the same width and height as the actual radiator, sitting right in front of it. What is that? For the A/C?

Lol, yes that is the A/C condensor.

Matz
01-11-2006, 12:00 PM

Do a search.

Just kidding man. I looked in the FSM, and it looks like it's the A/C condenser.

Matz
01-11-2006, 12:00 PM

Lol, yes that is the A/C condensor.

Damn you beat me. But you probably didn't have to look it up. :lol:

earlyapex
01-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Damn you beat me. But you probably didn't have to look it up. :lol:

Yea I didn't.:lol: I have lost count how many turbo swaps I have done in my life. 8)

vtluu
01-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks. Wow, it's huge. Gotta take that weight off my car sometime...

earlyapex
01-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Tam, you want to sell me your stock 02 housing? :D

drunk monkey
01-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Before:

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album06/o2h_oem.jpg

After:

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album06/o2h_works.jpg

Who would've thunk it? The bigger WORKS cast O2 housing is lighter.

Installation was straightforward albeit rather lengthy. I ended up taking off the radiator (that part was easy), bumper, and lower IC pipe (which was blocking access to some of the bolts). Took off the exhaust manifold heat shield as well. There was one bolt I couldn't get back on, which was side bolt holding the O2 housing heat shield--too little space to reach back in with the bolt and get it threaded, and maybe my heat shield is tweaked or something because I don't think the hole in the heat shield lined up with the tap in the new O2 housing. Anyway I got the other 3 bolts on and the heat shield is on there solid, no rattling around or anything--good enough.

Some of the bolts on the O2 housing were difficult to reach to loosen, and even more difficult to reach to tighten since the new bigger piece left less room to maneuver tools around. I got all the bolts reasonably tight but I doubt they're all torqued fully to spec. Maybe if I'd unbolted the hotside from the header and unclamped it from the rest of the turbo, I could have taken off the O2 housing and hotside together, and easily reach the O2 housing bolts with the assembly off the car? Kinda makes me wish I'd upgraded the hotside at the same time, 'cuz now I'll have to repeat this whole procedure sometime in the future.

Anyway I haven't had the chance to test it yet since my DP is at WORKS getting an WB O2 sensor bung welded in--should be done tomorrow. Which will give me time to put in the fuel pump and ECU+ tonight... :twisted:

call me dumb. turbos are new to me. what does the o2 housing do?

Matz
01-11-2006, 12:52 PM

Bryan, did you miss this for sale post (http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7953&highlight=)? Sorry about the exhaust manifold. :nana:

earlyapex
01-11-2006, 12:54 PM

Bryan, did you miss this for sale post (http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7953&highlight=)? Sorry about the exhaust manifold. :nana:

No I saw it, been having too many people flake on non-local stuff. :?

vtluu
01-11-2006, 01:03 PM
call me dumb. turbos are new to me. what does the o2 housing do?
It's just the "manifold" that goes between the turbo's hotside (the part of the turbo that houses the turbine wheel) and the downpipe. It's commonly called the O2 housing because it's where the stock O2 sensor goes, but I believe the Mitsubishi parts list calls it a "turbo compressor outlet" or something like that. Basically it just directs exhaust gas from the turbo out to the rest of the exhaust system (downpipe, catalytic converter, intermediate/mid-pipe, muffler).

Eclipse
01-11-2006, 10:06 PM

The A/C compressor is A LOT heavier. That's the one that really needs to come off if you want weight savings. There is also the unit in the cabin.

earlyapex
01-11-2006, 10:12 PM

The A/C compressor is A LOT heavier. That's the one that really needs to come off if you want weight savings. There is also the unit in the cabin.

Yea, the big hit is the compressor and the A/C unit in the cabin. The condenser in front of the radiator acts as a nice airflow obstruction though. :lol:

Evo442
01-12-2006, 08:40 AM

Bryan - are you really looking for a stock 02 housing? If so, pm me.

hphan
01-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Wondering what kind of gains do you get by replacing the O2 housing?