PDA

View Full Version : where to get centering rings?

Evo442
01-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Ok, I dont remember what they are called, but there are these metal rings that you can buy that fit inside center part of aftermarket wheels so that the wheel sits perfectly centered on the hub.

Can anyone tell me the correct term for these things, and where I can get some for 5zigen fno1rc's?

thanks in advance.

chrisw
01-12-2006, 05:38 PM
I know there are a couple of shops in Hayward who can sell you some. But I fogot their names sorry...

You might try auto innovations, you will have to search for their number I don't have that off hand.

MarkSAE
01-12-2006, 05:39 PM
They're called hubcentric rings.

ZK
01-12-2006, 05:42 PM
I have a set of New Hub-centric rings to adapt 66mm Nissan hubs to 73mm bore of most aftermarket "JDM" wheels (including 5Zigen, Volk, etc) for sale. PM me if interested.

I don't know what Mitsubishi's hub size is.

evo_dadi
01-12-2006, 08:12 PM
fno1rc's needs hubrings??

vtluu
01-12-2006, 08:18 PM
What I've been told is you don't need hubcentric rings unless you're sloppy about keeping your lugnuts torqued to spec. I've heard the argument that hubcentric rings allow the hub to bear the weight of the car rather than the lug studs, but apparently that's not true--in either case the lug studs do. Hubcentric rings make it a bit easier to put a wheel on the car by allowing the wheel to sit snugly on the hub while you thread the lugnuts on, but otherwise aren't necessary.

Just keep your lugs torqued (remember they'll loosen due to thermal expansion--especially at the track) and you should be good to go.

evo_dadi
01-12-2006, 08:21 PM
ahh ok thanks,im only gonna be using them on autox/track so ill just keep a tab on them.

vtluu
01-12-2006, 08:32 PM
ahh ok thanks,im only gonna be using them on autox/track so ill just keep a tab on them.
At the track, make sure to re-torque your lugs after the first (maybe first two) sessions.

Evo442
01-13-2006, 08:47 AM
What I've been told is you don't need hubcentric rings unless you're sloppy about keeping your lugnuts torqued to spec. I've heard the argument that hubcentric rings allow the hub to bear the weight of the car rather than the lug studs, but apparently that's not true--in either case the lug studs do. Hubcentric rings make it a bit easier to put a wheel on the car by allowing the wheel to sit snugly on the hub while you thread the lugnuts on, but otherwise aren't necessary.

Just keep your lugs torqued (remember they'll loosen due to thermal expansion--especially at the track) and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the info guys. I dont know if the hub bears the weight or if the studs do, but some tuners do strongly advocate the use of the hubcentric rings, especially at the track. Thats why I'm looking for some.

I'll let you guys know if/when I find a good vendor for these. (for anyone who may be interested)

evo_dadi
01-13-2006, 12:21 PM
ive checked with discount tires direct and they sell them,i just didnt check how much :oops: but keep as posted david.

MitsuMan
01-14-2006, 02:57 PM
yes
they doo and you can get them from any wheel /tire shop you just have to know th inner and outter diameter I wish I could think off the top of my head what the P.N. is. I have some at work in my tool box I 'll try to remember to look

MitsuMan
01-14-2006, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I dont know if the hub bears the weight or if the studs do, but some tuners do strongly advocate the use of the hubcentric rings, especially at the track. Thats why I'm looking for some.

I'll let you guys know if/when I find a good vendor for these. (for anyone who may be interested)

vtluuu is incorrect hub rings are so that the wheel is centerd on the hub. even with the right torque and if you have tapered lugs you still can't get your wheels perfect without the rings. the lug holes are not the exact size as the studs so without the rings your offcenterd. the first set of wheels I put on my car I used no rings. and had a vibraton like a wheel ballance that would come and go at different speeds.

I raised up my car on the rack at work and ran it in the air, even at 15 mph you can see the wheels rotating oblong on the car like an oval.

ZK
01-14-2006, 05:58 PM
vtluuu is incorrect hub rings are so that the wheel is centerd on the hub. even with the right torque and if you have tapered lugs you still can't get your wheels perfect without the rings. the lug holes are not the exact size as the studs so without the rings your offcenterd. the first set of wheels I put on my car I used no rings. and had a vibraton like a wheel ballance that would come and go at different speeds.

I raised up my car on the rack at work and ran it in the air, even at 15 mph you can see the wheels rotating oblong on the car like an oval.

You need to torque the wheels on while in the air so the wheel is centered on the lugs. If you torque them down with the wheel on the ground it might not be centered.

I've ran many aftermarket wheels on cars without hubcentric rings. You only get the vibration problem when the wheel is not centered. They are good to have but not always necessary.

Revolver Ocelot
01-14-2006, 06:56 PM
+1 I ran my Fn's on my 240 without hubcentric rings. It was fine no matter the speed.

chrisw
01-14-2006, 08:33 PM

you don't really need them, but as Tam points out, you need to keep an eye on the torque of the lug nuts.

I ran with out hubcentric rings for a while. For autocross, as long as you torque the nuts down with the wheel in the air your OK. I ran a full autocross season this way with a co-driver. However, when I drove on the street from Santa Cruz to Marina, I would have to re-torque the lug nuts before competing.