PDA

View Full Version : titanium pad shims for EVO 8

chrisw
01-12-2006, 08:11 PM
I found these spacers on the web. Sounds kind of interesting especially if you track your EVO.

Drivers with competition tires and heavy, powerful cars can experience fluid fade and destruction of caliper dust boots and piston seals, even after the installation of a big brake kit. These titanium inserts are installed behind the pads, dramatically reducing heat transfer to the calipers. This helps prevent dust boots from vaporizing and reduces the temperature of the brake fluid. They are especially effective when the pads have worn by 50 percent or more, since worn pads provide less thermal insulation between the rotors and calipers.

what do you guys think?

http://girodisc.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=209
http://girodisc.com/catalog/images/shims-big.jpg

vtluu
01-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Do you necessarily want to prevent heat from dissipating from your pads? The heat needs somewhere to go, otherwise the pads will fade and/or glaze. I'd argue--having experienced it in rather exciting fashion at the track--that pad fade is worse than conventional brake fade because it happens very suddenly and sometimes with little warning, as opposed to the brake pedal becoming gradually softer. Allowing heat to transfer from the pads to the caliper also allows that heat to be dissipated via something like brake ducting.

chrisw
01-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Do you necessarily want to prevent heat from dissipating from your pads? The heat needs somewhere to go, otherwise the pads will fade and/or glaze. I'd argue--having experienced it in rather exciting fashion at the track--that pad fade is worse than conventional brake fade because it happens very suddenly and sometimes with little warning, as opposed to the brake pedal becoming grandually softer. Allowing heat to transfer from the pads to the caliper also allows that heat to be dissipated via something like brake ducting.

Here is a comparison of materials and their relative thermal conductivity ratings
Titanium 6AL-4V 6.7 W/mk Thermal Barrier Coating 1.5 W/mk Steel 52 W/mk Aluminum 130 W/mk

it seems too. I got this off the link. But I don't know what this measurment means...

vtluu
01-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Right, I edited my post, so I'm going to take them at their word that the shim does make a good thermal barrier. The question I raised remains: is it a good idea to keep heat from spreading out of the brake pads?

earlyapex
01-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Remember calipers are big heat sinks for a reason.

RSpilot
02-25-2006, 02:05 AM
perhaps because of the aluminum content there is actually MORE heat dissipation(in the same period of time) than there would be if the spacer wasn't there. I see it as an extra radiator only for your brakes. Anything w/ aluminum in it conducts heat faster than a ferrous material. That's why heads are made from aluminum now instead of cast iron.

dohcvtec
02-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Allowing heat to transfer from the pads to the caliper also allows that heat to be dissipated via something like brake ducting.
You are aware brake ducting works by forcing cool air into the center of the rotor so heat can dissipate through the veins out the rotor, right?

ZK
06-06-2006, 10:12 AM
To bump an old topic,

I just ordered a set of these titanium shims. Figure I'd give them a try and see how they do on the track.