PDA

View Full Version : Brake bias observations/questions

Evo442
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Some observations:

My RF brake rotors wear faster than the LF. Brake pads wear faster on the RF. After bedding in new pads, the RF rotor tends to be 50+ degrees (centigrade) hotter than the LF. During daily driving, my RF rotor is hotter than the LF. I have been using an IR pyrometer to take readings.

No doubt, I "drive it like I stole it". 10+ track days last year and 44k miles. Got the car Jan 04. At the track (mostly Thill), I consistently overheat the RF tire. I've always thought that this was due to it being predominantly CCW in direction. I've also had brake line failures on the RF side as well.

Have anyone else had similar observations? Are there factors (like weight) etc that make our Evo's (mines an 03 GSR), work the RF brake harder or is there a problem with my particular Evo?

Is this abnormal/problematic. Is there a way to correct it if it is?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

smack
01-13-2006, 10:13 AM
i've noticed the same thing at the track in reguards to both heat and wear.
i've even had pad deposit(causing that dreaded shudder) on just that corner before.

very strange to get enough heat that one pair of pads cook but not the other.

the only thing i can think to fix might be just ducting one side as wrong as that sounds.

MarkSAE
01-13-2006, 10:25 AM
I noticed the same thing. My right-front caliper turned dark faster than the left front.

I'm guessing it's probably due to weight distribution since the engine is on the passenger side. The engine's center of mass is higher than the tranny, so that's probably another contributing factor.

MarkSAE
01-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Oh, I forgot to add. The engine weighs about 3-3.5X more than the tranny. Tranny is about 140# I think.

smack
01-13-2006, 11:24 AM
makes sense to me...

redvolution
01-13-2006, 11:35 AM
Doesn't the car have pretty even left/right corner weights in the front tho (especially with a driver in it)?
<a href="http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo/tech/evoweights.htm">road race's evo weights page</a>

Regardless, the results for a evenly corner weighted car and a stoptech (or other aftermarket BBK) equipped car would be useful to know.

earlyapex
01-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Doesn't the car have pretty even left/right corner weights in the front tho (especially with a driver in it)?
<a href="http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo/tech/evoweights.htm">road race's evo weights page</a>

Regardless, the results for a evenly corner weighted car and a stoptech (or other aftermarket BBK) equipped car would be useful to know.

Yea when the car is sitting there not moving. :D

smack
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
i should have added that i don't see the wear difference with the big alcons
and needless to say the heat issues are gone as well.

although i haven't checked temps so i don't know if there is still a difference
from side to side.

earlyapex
01-13-2006, 02:32 PM
my right side caliper is also darker than my left side. I also get more spider cracks on my right side rotor as well.

I believe the ABS system is the closest to that side so it's also the shortest brake line as well. Maybe the longer lines have more time to cool off?

ZK
01-13-2006, 02:38 PM
Could it be because the # of right vs left turns on the track? One side gets hotter because you're taking more of one corner than the other.

vtluu
01-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Yeah, TH will wear the right side--tires, brakes--more due to the CCW direction. The fact that it's CCW means that no matter what the track layout looks like (unless it has some kind of crossover) there will be 360 degrees more of left turns than right.

Try running more tracks with a CW direction, e.g. Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, SOWS, TH reverse, etc. 8)

earlyapex
01-13-2006, 03:08 PM
I think my brake problems are because I dive bomb Mike (dohcvtec) every chance I get:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/misc/board_shit/divebombmikeanimated.gif

:oops: :oops: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Evo442
01-13-2006, 03:29 PM
Could it be because the # of right vs left turns on the track? One side gets hotter because you're taking more of one corner than the other.

I thought that at first too, but when I measure rotor temps with straight line braking, the R rotor gets hotter.

Evo442
01-13-2006, 03:31 PM
So I know that there are devices which allow you to change the front to rear brake bias, is there something that gives you control of L vs Right?

dohcvtec
01-13-2006, 03:35 PM
I think my brake problems are because I dive bomb Mike (dohcvtec) every chance I get:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/misc/board_shit/divebombmikeanimated.gif

:oops: :oops: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
Damn you and your big HP!!!!

methods4
01-13-2006, 04:28 PM
Divebombing Mike is a favorite pastime of mine as well! Can't wait for the next time we go out.

turbotiger
01-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Damn you and your big HP!!!!

It's now how big it is, it's how you use it. :lol:

MarkSAE
01-13-2006, 10:53 PM

:D Hey, what program do you use to create animated gifs like that?

dohcvtec
01-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Oh ya, and you gotta paypal me $20 for copyright. :)