PDA

View Full Version : quick wheel/tire questions...all season tires

b0yw0nder
01-19-2006, 10:44 AM
okay, i searched but everyone always refers to "the stock wheel size" without mentioning what it is...

17x8? 17x7.5? 17x7?

wait......is this right on MACHV for a 2k5 evo?

The stock Evo wheel is 17" x 8", 35mm offset, 5x114.3 mm bolt circle, 67mm centerbore.

Stock tire size is 235/45R17.

Lug nuts are 12mm x 1.5.

I'm thinking about picking up a set of rotas with some all seasons but I want to keep the same type of wheel profile. (the sidewall is straight...not pulled or bubbled outwards).

what size tire would do that on a 17x8? is a non-advan 235 going to do it?

looking at either kumho ecsta ASX or falken ziex 512. anyone have good/bad experiences with them?

i want cheap tires for driving around when I have to do it for work and for being able to go to the mountain. When I want to drive, I'll have my advans on enkeis.

Thanks in advance.

dohcvtec
01-19-2006, 11:21 AM
If you're thinking you can use any of those tires to get through chain requirements for the mountains, think again. You'll need something with at least a M+S rating, those tires will NOT fit the bill. Yes, the stock rim size is a 17x8. You can fit anything from a 225 to a 255 on it, 235 is the stock width.

earlyapex
01-19-2006, 11:27 AM
The Contiential ContiExtremes are M&S rated, cheap and have pretty good dry performance as well as great wet and snow traction. I used them all tahoe season on my WRX last year. Great tire.

b0yw0nder
01-19-2006, 11:43 AM
dohc....you mean driving in the snow in winnipeg, mb, canada for 8 years doesn't qualify me for driving without chains? hahaha

i don't really care about having to put on chains. i'd rather just have a set of wheels/tires I can drive around on all the time and then for those chance encounters with snow, not die from having summer only's.

with an m &s rating, do they generally wear faster? I'll be running these day to day and its a decent ways from here (south bay) to tahoe. (even though I lived somewhere that dipped to -40degC and had lots of snow, I've never had a set of snow tires OR chains before...mind you, no hills in manitoba)

earlyapex
01-19-2006, 11:46 AM
with an m &s rating, do they generally wear faster? I'll be running these day to day and its a decent ways from here (south bay) to tahoe. (even though I lived somewhere that dipped to -40degC and had lots of snow, I've never had a set of snow tires OR chains before...mind you, no hills in manitoba)

No, compared to HP summer tires they will last a couple seasons for sure.

dohcvtec
01-19-2006, 11:52 AM
dohc....you mean driving in the snow in winnipeg, mb, canada for 8 years doesn't qualify me for driving without chains? hahaha

i don't really care about having to put on chains. i'd rather just have a set of wheels/tires I can drive around on all the time and then for those chance encounters with snow, not die from having summer only's.

haha, i'm not questioning your ability, i'm just letting you know they wont let you past without chains or snow tires. Honestly, I would never put chians on this car, take advantage of the AWD and get some M&S tires so you can just drive on. I have the pirelli Pzero Nero M+S's which I use as my non-summer tires. They're great in the dry, rain and snow. I highly suggest them or what earlyapex suggested, the contiextremes are another great tire. I just think if you're looking for a non-summer tire, make trips over the pass often, get M+S tires to save headache in the long run. I would say the treadwear is the same as any other all season tire.

MitsuMan
01-19-2006, 12:28 PM
The Contiential ContiExtremes are M&S rated, cheap and have pretty good dry performance as well as great wet and snow traction. I used them all tahoe season on my WRX last year. Great tire.
+1 THATS THE TICKET RIGHT THERE!!!!

b0yw0nder
01-19-2006, 07:26 PM
M & S rating is sufficient for not having chains? I thought you had to have full snows?

I'm only going to end up making a few passes a year up to the mountains. (I hope)

dohcvtec
01-19-2006, 11:03 PM
M & S rating is sufficient for not having chains? I thought you had to have full snows?

I'm only going to end up making a few passes a year up to the mountains. (I hope)
M & S = Mud & Snow. Yes they are sufficient, I've used mine for 2 years now.

lqdchkn
01-19-2006, 11:54 PM
haha, i'm not questioning your ability, i'm just letting you know they wont let you past without chains or snow tires. Honestly, I would never put chians on this car, take advantage of the AWD and get some M&S tires so you can just drive on. I have the pirelli Pzero Nero M+S's which I use as my non-summer tires. They're great in the dry, rain and snow. I just think if you're looking for a non-summer tire, make trips over the pass often, get M+S tires to save headache in the long run. I would say the treadwear is the same as any other all season tire.

+1

:D

b0yw0nder
01-20-2006, 09:08 AM
and you guys are sayin that the M & S aren't any softer and shouldn't wear any more than an ultra high P all season?

dohcvtec
01-20-2006, 09:43 AM
That has been my experience so far, yes. The treadwear rating on my Pirelli's are 400.

b0yw0nder
01-20-2006, 11:17 AM
what they say the treadwear is and what it actually is, seems to be different when comparing brands.

dohcvtec
01-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Just trying to guide you in the right direction. If you're dead set on getting some worthless POS tires, go for it. :)

earlyapex
01-20-2006, 11:42 AM
and you guys are sayin that the M & S aren't any softer and shouldn't wear any more than an ultra high P all season?

I used my continetals for two seasons (kept them on my car both seasons driving to and from work , etc) and when I sold them they still had 40% tread left.

turbotiger
01-20-2006, 11:51 AM
what they say the treadwear is and what it actually is, seems to be different when comparing brands.

Yes, but with the same brands, the summer HP tires are below 200 and their M&S tires are above 300. So M&S tires last alot longer under normal driving than their summer HP counterpart.

b0yw0nder
01-30-2006, 06:07 PM
DOHC: here's the excerpt from the CHP site.....

I have a 4-wheel drive vehicle. Do I have to carry / use chains? What do the "R" ratings which are associated with chain requirements mean?

"R" ratings on snowy roads indicate chain requirements for various conditions. Some vehicles may not be required to use chains under all conditions, but all vehicles must carry chains. Most vehicles come equipped with snow tires. Look for M+S (mud and snow), All Season, or All Terrain, on the side of the tire.

R-1 chains required except for vehicles with snow tires (chains required for any vehicle pulling a trailer)

R-2 chains required except for 4-wheel drive with snow tires

R-3 chains required for all vehicles

are there ratings other than these that do not require snow tires?

also, the ASX and falken 512's are m&s rated....

i know you guys are talking about getting better tires and I agree with you, I just want to make sure the facts are straight.

dohcvtec
01-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Even with living in Tahoe for 2 years I never saw it go R3 with roads still open. They usually close completely if it is that bad.

b0yw0nder
01-30-2006, 10:13 PM
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/chcontrl.htm

cool...this one answers everything...

Types of Chain Controls:
During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

Snow-tread Tires:
The California vehicle code section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows, " A 'Snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewall.

According to tirerack...all tires in their all season section are stamped with M & S