PDA

View Full Version : Blow off valve and turbo timer???

VOD
01-20-2006, 02:45 PM
I am interested in buying a blow off valve and a turbo timer but just am not really a car person is it better to just install it urself or better to have someone install it? I was also wondering what the difference is with a blow off valve does it increase hp or just to make that loud sound hehe... The turbo timer I heard decreases the heat on the car but would like more info on really what it does because i have no clue what its for my friend just recommended it... thanks any info would be great thanks
-ht

VOD
01-20-2006, 02:45 PM
oh sorry for the long post didnt realize i was rambaling lol

SJCoruja
01-20-2006, 02:50 PM
If you're not really a car person, I would say go with a pro for the install. That said, the BOV is super-easy to do so that you maybe could tackle. As for the BOV, it doesn't necessarily add power unless you are tuned to run more boost and/or your stock valve is leaking at all. The only reason to do it barring those reasons is sound BUT you will actually lose some performance if you vent to atmosphere (VTA) to get the sound. Some, like the GFB, are adjustable so you can get the sound you want without too many of the ill effects. As for the turbo timer, it keeps the motor running for a period of time after you remove your key which allows oil to continue to flow through the turbo to cool it and prevent the oil from baking inside. Personally, I say use the money for these two parts on another part that will give bettter gains, and live without the sound and let your car idle a bit when you park.

earlyapex
01-20-2006, 03:13 PM
two useless items.

Spend the money on a catback and mbc, or just a straight up flash.

Evo442
01-20-2006, 05:27 PM
I am interested in buying a blow off valve and a turbo timer but just am not really a car person is it better to just install it urself or better to have someone install it? I was also wondering what the difference is with a blow off valve does it increase hp or just to make that loud sound hehe... The turbo timer I heard decreases the heat on the car but would like more info on really what it does because i have no clue what its for my friend just recommended it... thanks any info would be great thanks
-ht

blow off valve is a waste of time and money unless you have to have that psssssst sound. An aftermarket blow off valve or diverter valve may be needed if you are running more boost.

As far as the turbo timer goes, I figure its cheap insurance, especially if you drive your evo the way it was meant to be driven. If you are not a car guy, its worth the money to have a pro install it.

Dr. Evo
01-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Also, if you are getting a BOV, just gat a JDM MR BOV.

VOD
01-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Wow thank you guys learn something new as for my friends lol they say they really know cars guess not lol.... Oh well Im just looking toward gains then anything, yet california has such strick laws so planining to do stuff that will allow me to pass smog as its anoying to change parts if needed. As some of my friends do that presently.

thanks for the info greatly appreciated