PDA

View Full Version : RA1 questions

MarkSAE
01-28-2006, 07:54 PM
I just ordered a set of RA1s and have a few questions about them before I take them out on the track.

I ordered them unshaved because I figured I could get some miles out of them by driving them on the street. How sensitive are these tires to heat cycling? Do the tires start losing their grip if I put too many heat cycles on them?

I've also heard that it's bad to drive full tread RA1s really hard because the high tread volume causes them to retain heat. What happens if they overheat? Does the tread start chunking apart?

How do they behave at the limit? I heard they don't give much warning before they break traction. But I've sat in a friend's Pro7 RX7 w/ shaved RA1s and his tires squealed audibly around turns.

Evo442
01-28-2006, 10:14 PM
I just ordered a set of RA1s and have a few questions about them before I take them out on the track.

I ordered them unshaved because I figured I could get some miles out of them by driving them on the street. How sensitive are these tires to heat cycling? Do the tires start losing their grip if I put too many heat cycles on them?

I've also heard that it's bad to drive full tread RA1s really hard because the high tread volume causes them to retain heat. What happens if they overheat? Does the tread start chunking apart?

How do they behave at the limit? I heard they don't give much warning before they break traction. But I've sat in a friend's Pro7 RX7 w/ shaved RA1s and his tires squealed audibly around turns.

Mark - I "shave" my ra-1's on the street as well, prior to going to the track. Make sure you get a few hundred miles on them before tracking them. Nice thing about RA-1's is the more you drive em, the faster they seem to get - in the sense that you dont have to worry about how many heat cycles you put them through.

Yeah, you can chunk them. On full tread RA1's, the deep tread blocks flex around a lot when driven hard and can get hot. They get greasy faster (than shaved) and can chunk. You'd be surprised at how different shaved ra1s are at the track vs full tread.

IMHO, you heard wrong. RA1s will give you plenty of warning, both audibly and in the seat of your pants, before breaking traction completely. Is a pretty forgiving tire to take to the track.

Hope you like the RA1s. When is your next track day?

-david

egui42
01-28-2006, 10:22 PM
I miss my RA-1's. best tires I ever had. Hands down!!!! The hotter they are the more they grip.

L84AD8
01-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Looking at these tires myself for daily driving. Seems like a great all around tire. How do these handle on the street especially rainy days like tonight? My Advans are going fast and almost lost traction coming home from the EIP meet. :roll: Got 14K miles on the Advans and I hope the RA1's would outlast them. 8)

evo_dadi
01-28-2006, 10:50 PM
man ed ra1's as a daily would be reaaallly interesting specially when you get halfway :wink:

egui42
01-28-2006, 10:51 PM
I had them for daily driving and I kinda got spoiled. They lasted me 15k miles, same as the stock advans. But I drive my car like it was stolen. They are a bit cheaper than the stockers, but recently changed to Toyo T1-R's.

MarkSAE
01-29-2006, 03:00 AM
Mark - I "shave" my ra-1's on the street as well, prior to going to the track. Make sure you get a few hundred miles on them before tracking them. Nice thing about RA-1's is the more you drive em, the faster they seem to get - in the sense that you dont have to worry about how many heat cycles you put them through.

Yeah, you can chunk them. On full tread RA1's, the deep tread blocks flex around a lot when driven hard and can get hot. They get greasy faster (than shaved) and can chunk. You'd be surprised at how different shaved ra1s are at the track vs full tread.

IMHO, you heard wrong. RA1s will give you plenty of warning, both audibly and in the seat of your pants, before breaking traction completely. Is a pretty forgiving tire to take to the track.

Hope you like the RA1s. When is your next track day?

-david

Thanks for all the feedback David! It definitely lets me know what to expect from them at the next track event. I'm shooting to go to the Trackmasters event at Infineon on 2/24. When's your next event?

Evo442
01-29-2006, 07:49 AM
Thanks for all the feedback David! It definitely lets me know what to expect from them at the next track event. I'm shooting to go to the Trackmasters event at Infineon on 2/24. When's your next event?

no prob. haven't decided on my first event of 2006. will be late feb at best - trying to avoid the rainy weather! my last event of 2005 was pretty wet and i didn't like it too much.

Evo442
01-29-2006, 07:51 AM
Looking at these tires myself for daily driving. Seems like a great all around tire. How do these handle on the street especially rainy days like tonight? My Advans are going fast and almost lost traction coming home from the EIP meet. :roll: Got 14K miles on the Advans and I hope the RA1's would outlast them. 8)

I would not recommend them for daily driving. full tread is ok, but once the tread depth gets lower, they suck in the wet. I drove a set of shaved ra1's from Scal to Ncal in pouring rain. It sucked. Horrible in standing water.

smack
01-30-2006, 12:49 PM
great track tire for a wear/grip compromise.

if you're running them on a dry track you should really get them shaved.
they will actually last longer than running them full depth. like said before the taller treadblocks will get the tires wearing faster due to the extra heat.

one of the great things about them is that you'll wear them out before you'll heatcycle them to death.
and as far as breakaway characteristics go they make noise and give you a bit of warning. obviously you can do stupid shit and get no warning but then again there's not a tire in the world that will fix that :lol:

they are pretty solid full depth in the rain though

for sreet you really need to be careful in the wet once you get a bit of wear into them.
as soon as the first set of blocks wear down there is no side grooves to shed water just the
ones that go down the center of the tread so if you hit any puddles you're basically along for the ride. :shock:

one other thing to know is that they are quite a bit softer(stickier) than stocks and the fronts tend to throw up crap like nails and shit and the rears grab them.
i've had two go this way and at $270 each it sux! (275x35x18)i'm assuming it's because they are so soft the stuff doesn't bounce off the face of the tire.

oh yeah, be careful when they're cold :lol:

honestly i wouldn't recommend them for a street tire. if you're outdriving an s-03 or a pilot sport or even an advan on the street then there are other issues to discuss.

dohcvtec
01-30-2006, 12:58 PM
great track tire for a wear/grip compromise.

if you're running them on a dry track you should really get them shaved.
they will actually last longer than running them full depth. like said before the taller treadblocks will get the tires wearing faster due to the extra heat.

+1

I shave mine to 4/32nds when new for dry track. At full tread they are a rain tire. I don't think "shaving them on the street" is the best idea, for the heat cycles mentioned above. It would take quite a bit of light street driving to wear them down enough to consider them shaved without getting too hot.

earlyapex
01-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Watch out for glass too. They suck it up like nuffin.

I had a 2 day old RA1 killed because of that.

smack
01-30-2006, 01:09 PM
I don't think "shaving them on the street" is the best idea,

neither do i which is why at the end of that novel i said i really wouldn't recommend running them on the street at all. i run mine because i don't have another set of 18's for the track and
yes i run full depth because of that and that i run plenty of rainy trackdays. although they are a bit worn based on the t-hill weekend a couple weeks back :shock:

MarkSAE
01-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Hmmm.. I guess I'll find out how well full tread RA1s will wear at the track. I only plan to street drive these tires for a few hundred miles to heat cycle them. Hopefully, I won't run over any glass or nails.

dohcvtec
01-30-2006, 01:56 PM

neither do i which is why at the end of that novel i said i really wouldn't recommend running them on the street at all.
Ah yes, you did. My lack of attention got the best of me and I gave up reading your novel about 1 paragraph into it. hahaha. :)

earlyapex
01-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Hmmm.. I guess I'll find out how well full tread RA1s will wear at the track. I only plan to street drive these tires for a few hundred miles to heat cycle them. Hopefully, I won't run over any glass or nails.

Just don't over-drive them and you will be fine. I ran my last set of RA1's at full tread in 108 degrees at thill and they where fine. I did 6 events with them and they are just now about 1 event away from being retired.

Just mind your pressure too. I run 29 cold, around 34-36psi hot.

smack
01-30-2006, 04:40 PM

neither do i which is why at the end of that novel i said i really wouldn't recommend running them on the street at all.
Ah yes, you did. My lack of attention got the best of me and I gave up reading your novel about 1 paragraph into it. hahaha. :)

:P :lol:

crctslt
01-30-2006, 08:07 PM

Oh noes A.D.D. owns Mike :lol:

On another note. When I had my replacemant Ra-1 shaved I asked the dealer about heat cycling them. He said the drive up to TH from my house would be plenty :idea:

trinydex
02-21-2006, 01:22 AM
one thing about r comps in general is that the more you heat cycle them the harder tehy get so it may take a lil longer to warm 'em up, however ra1s are notorious for being quick warmups.

also ra1s are best in their final 4/32nds and that's actually when tehre's no more tread blocks left. so this is not so hot for driving in rain but in dry this is when they're the primo.

MarkSAE
02-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Did I overheat my RA1s? I got that bluish tint around the tire edges. My tires never got greasy and I didn't chunk my treadblocks.

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album440/DSC07031.sized.jpg

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album440/DSC07033.sized.jpg

After my first session, my tires looked like this. I guess they were breaking in. hehe..

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album304/DSC06983.sized.jpg

smack
02-25-2006, 02:07 PM
mine do the same and they never really go off(get greasy) like when i had the 235's and pushed hard.
so i would say that it's normal to have the blueish tint.
also since the blocks held up that should be another good indication that they stayed within temps.

earlyapex
02-25-2006, 05:28 PM
Yours still look new to me! :D

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/ra1s/ra1_set01_04.jpg

I get the blue tint too:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/ra1s/ra1_set01_01.jpg

This is when you really overheat them:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/ra1s/ra1_set01_03.jpg

dohcvtec
02-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Wow Bryan, yours are finally down to dry depth! lol

earlyapex
02-26-2006, 01:57 PM

Yea they unfortunatly take forever to warm up now, last event at thill they didn't feel so good.

I think they might be close to end of life.

hagakure
02-26-2006, 03:08 PM

Yea they unfortunatly take forever to warm up now, last event at thill they didn't feel so good.

I think they might be close to end of life.

Mine are down to about the same depth and feel really good now...I think I have a t least two events left in them. I've got a brand new set of nitto NTO1's in the garage ready to go when the RA-1's are done.

redvolution
02-26-2006, 03:16 PM
I've got a brand new set of nitto NTO1's in the garage ready to go when the RA-1's are done.

Where'd you get them and in what size?

MarkSAE
02-26-2006, 03:19 PM

Do you think this has anything to do w/ having too many heat cycles on them? Your tires still look like they got some rubber on it.

hagakure
02-26-2006, 03:22 PM
I've got a brand new set of nitto NTO1's in the garage ready to go when the RA-1's are done.

Where'd you get them and in what size?

America's Tire Company. 200.00 each. 275-40-17.

Wanted to try something different that will wear and still grip. Very good reports from a few fast Evo drivers in socal/nev.

hagakure
02-26-2006, 03:23 PM

Do you think this has anything to do w/ having too many heat cycles on them? Your tires still look like they got some rubber on it.

It has to be the heat cycling, becuase he can get 2-3 events out of the rubber...mine are working perfectly now at that depth.

hagakure
02-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Bryan,

Have you used a pyrometer and checked your tire temps? what si your front negative camber? I've noticed that the wear on my RA-1's has DRAMATICALLY decreased on track since havingt he muellerized set-up.

MarkSAE
02-26-2006, 05:23 PM
It has to be the heat cycling, becuase he can get 2-3 events out of the rubber...mine are working perfectly now at that depth.

So Percy, did you get your tires shaved initially?

hagakure
02-26-2006, 06:04 PM

So Percy, did you get your tires shaved initially?

Yeah...Ron at Aim tire was adamant that shaving to a minimum of 6/32nds (where I started) goes a long way to preserving the tire life. the Nittos that I bought start at 6/32, so I will not be shaving them. they are supposedly in between the RA-1 and R888. they are te same coumpond, though a little softer, than Niitto's outgoing road race tire, the 555R, but with a much stiffer sidewall and more aggressive tread pattern. I had problems with full tread RA-1's in the past, they did wear out much faster, and seemed to overheat much easier.

MarkSAE
02-26-2006, 06:54 PM
Hmm.. damn, now I wish I got my RA1s shaved. I wonder if it's too late to get mine shaved now that I have one event on them. Oh well.. at least I'll know to get them shaved next time.

hagakure
02-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Hmm.. damn, now I wish I got my RA1s shaved. I wonder if it's too late to get mine shaved now that I have one event on them. Oh well.. at least I'll know to get them shaved next time.

they will NOT shave them after they have been on the road...little rocks and stuff wreack havoc with the machine.

earlyapex
02-26-2006, 08:10 PM

That set has 5 or 6 events on them. :wink: I used them since full tread.

I just think the last event was the first "colder" event I used them in and I wasn't used to it. I am used to them warming up quickly.

I think I might try them on the 22nd and see how they feel. I'll have another set waiting for these to wear out.

Have you used a pyrometer and checked your tire temps? what si your front negative camber? I've noticed that the wear on my RA-1's has DRAMATICALLY decreased on track since havingt he muellerized set-up.

Nope. I probably should get a pyrometer one of these days. Honestly, I got way more events than I thought out of these tires. I run -2.9F/ -1.3R camber.

These do look like they are still good since they still have the grooves but the insides on some and the outsides on some are really really worn down. They are way past the little hole marks on some. I flipped these about halfway through their life too.

Mark, I wouldn't worry that you didn't shave them. They'll be fine for where your at now. :D

dohcvtec
02-26-2006, 08:11 PM
I had my RA1's shaved to 4/32nd's. I think this is perfect for a dry tire, it will last longer too.

Here is what they should look like.
:)

http://www.hondaswap.com/forums/uploads/1118800137/gallery_106_2_23837.jpg

MarkSAE
02-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Mark, I wouldn't worry that you didn't shave them. They'll be fine for where your at now. :D

hehe.. yeah, I don't think I push my car close to how hard you guys do at the track yet. I was squealing the tires all over the track on the lower speed turns though, but am still building up to squealing the tires around the higher speed turns.

I found the grip of these tires to be a lot better than the stock advans. Flying down the carousel at Infineon was FUN. I was actually flying outta my seat from the lateral g's.. hahha.. the stock seat belt's lap belt and me kung-fu gripping the steering wheel were the only things holding me in place. :D

evo_dadi
02-27-2006, 07:45 PM
how many track events does a shaved ra1 last for?

dohcvtec
02-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Not sure yet, I think I've done about 6 or 7 events so far? still tickin. Of course the car using them only weighs 2300lbs :P

evo_dadi
02-27-2006, 07:56 PM
hahaha damn jooo :P i might try the new nitto slicks also but they run more expensive than the ra1's :cry:

as for shaving which would be prefferable,6/32 or 4/32?its gonna be mainly used for autoxing then probly 1 or 2 track day.

Evo442
02-27-2006, 08:00 PM

depends heavily on your driving style. I think I did 3 track days on my shaved ra-1's.

I guess it depends on the event too - those GGLC days with seven 30 minute sessions can be a killer! :twisted:

evo_dadi
02-27-2006, 08:03 PM
3 track days would equal to a lot of autox days for me :lol: since thats where i kinda base it from.

dohcvtec
02-27-2006, 09:19 PM
hahaha damn jooo :P i might try the new nitto slicks also but they run more expensive than the ra1's :cry:

as for shaving which would be prefferable,6/32 or 4/32?its gonna be mainly used for autoxing then probly 1 or 2 track day.
I would go 4/32'nds

dohcvtec
02-27-2006, 09:20 PM

depends heavily on your driving style. I think I did 3 track days on my shaved ra-1's.

I guess it depends on the event too - those GGLC days with seven 30 minute sessions can be a killer! :twisted:
They chorded after only 3 events?!?!

MarkSAE
02-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Are the RA1s even good for auto-x? They don't grip that well cold.

dohcvtec
02-27-2006, 09:55 PM
didn't even think of that, Mark is right, they need to be warmed up to work.

Evo442
02-27-2006, 10:11 PM

Not chorded but worn enough that I didn't think they would last another full track day.

dohcvtec
02-27-2006, 10:15 PM

Not chorded but worn enough that I didn't think they would last another full track day.
I was told by Roger Kraus Racing and other Honda Challenge guys to seriously run them until you see chords. I guess there is really a lot of rubber under there.

evo_dadi
02-27-2006, 10:31 PM

i got a co-driver so between the 2 of us taking turns it gets warmed up :wink: :lol: first time i used it to autox it did gripped better than the T1r's that i used to have.

earlyapex
02-27-2006, 10:46 PM
first time i used it to autox it did gripped better than the T1r's that i used to have.

That is because the T1R's suck. The only good Toyos are the RA1's.

I am looking forward to replacing the T1R's with the RT-615's that are on their way. :)

evo_dadi
02-27-2006, 10:52 PM
hahah t1r's not too bad considering the ones i had before were the azenis st115.

dohcvtec
02-27-2006, 10:56 PM
hahah t1r's not too bad considering the ones i had before were the azenis st115.
the st115's kicked ass! best $65 tire ever!! :) in 205/50/15 of course, lol.

Eclipse
02-27-2006, 10:57 PM
the st115's kicked ass! best $65 tire ever!! :) in 25/50/15 of course, lol.

Shit what's that for a tricycle? :lol:

evo_dadi
02-27-2006, 10:57 PM
the st115's kicked ass! best $65 tire ever!! :) in 25/50/15 of course, lol.

you put them in your bike :P :lol:

dohcvtec
02-27-2006, 10:59 PM
205/50/15

hardy har har. :lol:[/b]