PDA

View Full Version : stock wheels powdercoated... opinions

panem
01-29-2006, 10:49 PM
i was thinking of doing this to my stock rims.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/panem/wheel22080x1368.jpg
what do you guys think?

dohcvtec
01-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Looks good, but I would paint the center cap too. :)

SouthernCrane
01-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Looks good, but I would paint the center cap too. :)

+1

panem
01-29-2006, 11:02 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/panem/wheel4208.jpg
thats what it look like on the evo.

dohcvtec
01-29-2006, 11:04 PM
Ah, I couldn't see the silver ring on the rim. I don't like it personally. I would keep the whole wheel one color.

Matz
01-29-2006, 11:30 PM
Ah, I couldn't see the silver ring on the rim. I don't like it personally. I would keep the whole wheel one color.

+1

I also heard bad things about powdercoating, and how the baking process can weaken the wheels. I do *not* know if this is true or not, but just be aware... maybe just have them painted. Please let us know if you find a good place to get it done. I was thinking about Wheel Techniques in Santa Clara, but their price is so high, I could buy a whole new set of rims.

egui42
01-30-2006, 12:48 AM
Had mine done in semi gloss black. $50 a wheel, and no problems what so ever.

jdmgraphiteMR
01-30-2006, 01:25 AM
if you guys want your rims painted a friend of mines that works at santa clara auto body was an ex-professional painter and use to do custom paintjobs for everyone and he also only works with the best paint out there he re-painted my car gg after a couple key marks but yea he will do your rims anycolor for a good price i was thinking of doing my bbs rims in a dirty gold...but yeha if you guys are interested give me a pm oh yeah and panem! i say paint the rims bronze or dirty gold :D black on black kinda makes it look like a cop car :D

mattbcool
01-30-2006, 03:15 PM
if you guys want your rims painted a friend of mines that works at santa clara auto body was an ex-professional painter and use to do custom paintjobs for everyone and he also only works with the bestr paint out there he re-painted my car gg after a couple key marks but yea he will do your rims anycolor for free i was thinking of doing my bbs rims in a dirty gold...but yeha if you guys are interested give me a pm oh yeah and panem! i say paint the rims bronze or dirty gold :D black on black kinda makes it look like a cop car :D

am i reading it right? free? whats the turnaround time? and can he do the center logo in red , with black rims?

jdmgraphiteMR
01-30-2006, 03:18 PM
hahahhaha mattbcool good catch buddy..since you caught ill tell him to hook you up for free.......j/k i wish he could do it for free...but if i was the painter then i would do it for free for you....thanks for catching that mistake before everyone esle saw it :D

mattbcool
01-30-2006, 03:55 PM
ask how much, and how long it would take. dont wanna be w/o wheels for too long. been thinkin about this for a while

hphan
01-30-2006, 03:58 PM
hahahhaha mattbcool good catch buddy..since you caught ill tell him to hook you up for free.......j/k i wish he could do it for free...but if i was the painter then i would do it for free for you....thanks for catching that mistake before everyone esle saw it :D

Hey JT, that gold on black would look dope too. When you get your rims painted, if you do, post some pics cause I'm thinking of going that way too. The BBS rims make my car look too black. How much is it btw? Hook it up!!!
:D

jdmgraphiteMR
01-30-2006, 06:40 PM
alrite well i just talked to him....and he said taht he will do some math tonight...but he said he can get the rims done in less than a week....and the price he will tell me tomorow morning....also he told me that when you guys are ready or whatever have the exact color u want in mind so he can get it done quick! and also i told them all of you guys are my homies..hahah...so he is giving homie hookup prices...but he said he will give me the pricing tomorow :D

hphan
01-30-2006, 06:49 PM
JT, do we need to dismount the tires? Cause that's another $100 to dismount and mount the tires again. Yikes. :(

MitsuMan
01-30-2006, 07:48 PM
i think its tight leave the center silver. pretty good for modding the stock wheels. too bad the lip isn't pollished

vtluu
01-30-2006, 07:57 PM
JT, do we need to dismount the tires? Cause that's another $100 to dismount and mount the tires again. Yikes. :(
Let's see, powdercoating requires you put the wheel in an oven. You could leave the tires on if you wanted them to melt/burn. :lol:

jdmgraphiteMR
01-30-2006, 09:08 PM
well....if you want the whole rim on then yeah..you might want ot dismount hte tires...but if u just want the inside of the rims and face painted then i guess tires on would be fine

z_drifto
02-10-2006, 07:22 PM
am i reading it right? free? whats the turnaround time? and can he do the center logo in red , with black rims?[/quote]

Thats what my rims look like I did them myself, took about 6 hours. They help up nice for a while but trips to tahoe and the salt on the road ate my paint. Its not too bad but they did start to chip a few places.

Steiner
02-11-2006, 11:21 AM
I really like how it looks with the center cap unpainted. On my white RS it would look very clean. I don't think I would consider it unless I could find a way to chrome the lip though. Once you do all that you're probably talking about spending more money than a brand new set of rims though I'm guessing?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/panem/wheel22080x1368.jpg

nyne
02-12-2006, 12:24 AM
i'd like to have my stock wheels powder coated gold.
who does it in the area?

VOD
02-12-2006, 02:40 AM
It doesnt look bad I think looks pretty good ... :-)