PDA

View Full Version : Any techies explain the difference between cat back and none

VOD
01-30-2006, 08:51 PM
I was just wondering what the big advantage is of getting a exhaust with the cat-back replaced with one with just the pipe and the stock cat-back still installed.... Is there a big increase in hp? And does it pass smog which is a pain in the ass in this freaking state :-( thanks

dohcvtec
01-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Cat-back refers to the exhaust piping after the cat, IE intermediate pipe and muffler. I'm not sure what you're asking..

lqdchkn
01-30-2006, 09:43 PM
I was just wondering what the big advantage is of getting a exhaust with the cat-back replaced with one with just the pipe and the stock cat-back still installed.... Is there a big increase in hp? And does it pass smog which is a pain in the ass in this freaking state :-( thanks

Any time you make it easier for the exhaust gas to flow it will help. Most cat-backs will offer larger pipe diameter and fewer bends to aid the flow.
And that's just the easy answer.

So to answer your question yes even with the cat more power can still be made.

VOD
01-30-2006, 11:54 PM
My other question was if i replaced the cat would it pass smog ....

VOD
01-30-2006, 11:55 PM
btw that kitty picture is quite disturbing lol

Matz
01-30-2006, 11:56 PM
My other question was if i replaced the cat would it pass smog ....

You're kidding, right? The cat is about the only thing that makes a car pass smog, except maybe the EGR valve. Definitely do *not* remove it. Maybe get a high-flow cat, and when you need to get smogged, swap the stock one out. Or get something like the WORKS StealthCat. I personally can't comment on how much more power it makes than stock, but I have one on order to test out.

lqdchkn
01-31-2006, 12:30 AM
btw that kitty picture is quite disturbing lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: I thought it was funny so I borrowed it fom some1's myspace.

VOD
01-31-2006, 12:38 AM
lol it is funny just man that cat looks pissed

MitsuMan
01-31-2006, 05:21 PM
running no cat will yield about 20 horse and maybe create some acid rain in the valley and ruin the ozone layer resulting in fewer penguins on the planet amung other things. get a high flow 3in cat and keep the stocker for smog time