PDA

View Full Version : whats the deal with lightweight lugs?

b0yw0nder
02-02-2006, 11:45 PM
track only use?

I understand the weight savings, but for people running expensive wheels day to day, wouldn't they want to run something with a little more security?

I know some of them have a "special key" but as far as I read, that key is not unique to a set of lugs but rather to the type.

Or am I reading all this stuff wrong and in reality the lightweight lugs do have a unique key, have locks or people switch out 1 lug per rim with "non-lightweight" locks?

evo_dadi
02-02-2006, 11:48 PM
right now im using the muteki lugs w/o any locking lug nuts.as far as "special key" theyre only unique on locking lugs since thats what theyre meant for.when i had the gorrila lugs and i lost one i just went to a tire place and showed them my key for it,and guess what...they have the lugs that fit it :shock: :shock:

vtluu
02-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Aftermarket wheels require conical-seat lug nuts, as you probably know. I have 2 sets of the Muteki lugs Marcel mentioned; I have the open-ended ones, mainly for weight savings. Close-ended lug nuts would probably be a bit better for preventing rust/corrosion, but my wheels/lugs come on and off often enough, and I use anti-seize, that rust isn't really an issue. The Muteki lugs are steel, so they're still strong enough to do and undo with an impact wrench (carefully of course). There are lightweight aluminum lug nuts that should not be done with an impact gun. And of course there are titanium lug nuts but they're prohibitively expensive.

On my stock wheels, I use open-ended lug nuts with the OEM "Toyota" style seat, because my front lug studs are long enough that the close-ended stock nuts wouldn't work. I used to have wheel locks but it was such a hassle, especially when I would occasionally lose or misplace the key, that after a while I couldn't be bothered anymore. Brake dust and curb rash keep my stock wheels safe from theft. :lol:

Cameron@xperformance
02-03-2006, 07:20 PM
so do you want some lightweight lugs?

vtluu
02-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Why Cameron, do you have have any idea where one might buy lightweight lug nuts? :lol:

Cameron@xperformance
02-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Why Cameron, do you have have any idea where one might buy lightweight lug nuts? :lol:
well tam now that you mention it.....eXtreme Performance can get lightweight lugs :wink:

dohcvtec
02-03-2006, 08:09 PM
well tam now that you mention it.....eXtreme Performance can get lightweight lugs :wink:
haha, i bought my ricer lugs at your place. i needed open ended lugs because my stock lugs wouldn't tighten all the way on my other wheels.

Cameron@xperformance
02-03-2006, 08:28 PM
another happy customer :lol:

b0yw0nder
02-03-2006, 08:53 PM
I picked up a set of gorilla locking lugs. (all 20 are on the same unique key)

evo_dadi
02-03-2006, 09:43 PM
re-read my post up top regarding gorilla lugs :wink: :shock:

b0yw0nder
02-03-2006, 10:27 PM
ED....its all about peice of mind...

i'd rather have something than nothing! haha

evo_dadi
02-03-2006, 10:32 PM
lol true,i didnt worry about mine till i lost a lug coming back from an autox event :shock:

dohcvtec
02-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Hell, the lightweight aluminum ones are the ones you need to look out for. They tend to back out once really heated up. Last Reno event mine backed out quite a bit, I had no idea it would be that bad. :shock: The stock lugs I never had to worry about that.

vtluu
02-04-2006, 01:56 AM
Hell, the lightweight aluminum ones are the ones you need to look out for. They tend to back out once really heated up. Last Reno event mine backed out quite a bit, I had no idea it would be that bad. :shock: The stock lugs I never had to worry about that.
Good point, they're not for ham-handed people who like to just slap 'em on there and forget about them. They're for anal-retentive obsessive-compulsive freaks like me who torque and re-torque their lugs 3-4 times in a track day (and usually about once a week otherwise).

They are more expensive though, and that's what the Mutekis have going for them--they're cheap at $35 a set.

redvolution
02-04-2006, 09:09 AM
I found open-ended conical steel lug nets at Napa Auto parts for $20. Compared to the stockers they saved 1.87lbs. They held up great after 10+ track days (Enkei RPF1s and street tires, haven't tried with R-compounds).

<a href="http://cracknut.com/images/cars/evo/lugnut_fromtop.jpg">picture</a>