PDA

View Full Version : New Ecutek Retune-Mike at Gruppe S is Top Shelf!

hagakure
02-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Mike At Gruppe S tuned my Car with the Ecutek on friday, and to say the least, I'm thrilled. When I last dynoed with my P2 and TR-340 package I made 240 WHP and 235 Ft. Pounds of Torque. the numbers are now 279 Whp and 251 ft. pounds of torque. the lower torque numbers are not indicative as to the way the car runs, however, it pulls like a train now, and is noticebly much, much faster everywhere in the rev range. I've got over 200+ ft pounds of torgue from 2800 RPM to redline at 7400. My car is a testament to the reason why off the shelf flashes do not work for everyone, especially for folks that are beating on their cars at the track the way I am. Mike detected a tendency for my car to hesitate before full boost, spike a little, and then hit boost. He was able to tune around this to some degree, but thinks it may be a turbo problem, an actual mechanical problem, perhaps with the actuator. An off the shelf tune would not be able to compensate in any way for the anomaly.

I was at thunderhill yesterday, running in the advanced group in the HPDS...they had chicanes at one and 8. I was hitting 125 MPH BEFORE the chicane in one, going through, getting back on the gas, and still going up over one at 80+ MPH after hard braking. I was also able to go up over the top of 5 in 3rd gear with plenty of torque to pull me through, something I have NEVER been able to do previously. I was also slamming into the limiter in 3rd before turn three, until I got used to feeding in the power differently. With the Mullerized suspension, and the car getting sorted out power wise, I feel like it's a legitimate goal to go 2:03 at T-hill this year. So...good times, and I'm a happy man!

Percy

L84AD8
02-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Nice numbers :thumbsup: Congrats man! 8)

earlyapex
02-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Very nice.

See, that's what a "TR-340" should put down to the wheels.

Fix the boost problem and get your torque back and you will love it even more!

dohcvtec
02-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Percy,
Great to hear you have gotten this sorted out. Nice numbers man. :)

Stormtrooper
02-05-2006, 12:26 PM
awesome to hear... great numbers Percy, I beginning to see the differences myself to what a custom tune can do.

What did Mike mostly change from the works tune? More on the AFR side or on the timing side?

-Jeff

hagakure
02-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Everything is different. I'm a technopobe, so no charts being posted by me:)...but AFR's are all very very safe (ask Bryan, he's seen the charts), timing fuel, etc, all different. I was maxing out concerning fuel, so they did throw a walbro in there. bottom line, the car haul's ass. there was a Porsche GT-2 Race car testing there, along with another 911 Turbo, and I got into a nice 4 or 5 lap pacing run with them...I thought they would completely rip me a new one coming out of 14..they did pull, but it was not crazy. I was also able to keep my gap on the straights with a 240 Z racecar that has a small block Chevy V8 in it and weighs 2400 pounds. that would NEVER happen they way the car was running before. So, good, good stuff, and there will be more to come... :twisted:

Percy

Matz
02-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Hey Percy, glad to hear that you're finally happy with the way your Evo is running! :thumbsup:

wilson1
02-05-2006, 04:55 PM
sounds great, Percy! 8)

Evo442
02-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Hey Percy - glad to hear you finally have a tune that makes your car run the way it should!

hagakure
02-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Thanks guys. Mike is an Awesome tuner. I'm not bagging on anyone's off the shelf tunes...but my car has been weird from day one, and the issues that Mike exposed and worked with could not have been dealt with via a generic tune. Next step is a TME turbo and some injectors, and the car will be pretty much the way I want it to be in race trim as regards power. I might beef up engine internals in the future, but just the power increase as it stands is excellent. What I noticed at T-hill was that when I am doing everything correctly, the added power will be a catapult to faster lap times. the available power also allows the car to take a set in some turns more quickly because I do not have to shift, ie, up over the top of five, and into 11 (before the esses)..less action is required by me that can potentially unbalance the car...Look forward to running with all you guys soon. My next days out will be March 10 with TMR, and March 11 with NASA (I know, I know, but I'm trying to do enough of their time trials to score some points if possible in TTA) :lol:

dohcvtec
02-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Hey, NASA is a great organization, especially for those who want to learn anything.

hagakure
02-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Hey, NASA is a great organization, especially for those who want to learn anything.

I agree Mike....
I have no problems with NASA other than the limited track time, but that's why events that I do with them will be focused on competition, this year time trials, then eventually racing in the new pro touring class. I've never had a problem at a NASA event.

e8
02-05-2006, 07:10 PM
sounds like you're happy. good stuff.

crctslt
02-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Congrtas on the improved performance! Look forward to seeing you in action with the new power 8)

Steiner
02-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Mike rules. I won't let anybody else touch my Evo.

hagakure
02-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Mike rules. I won't let anybody else touch my Evo.

Ditto.

Gruppe-S
02-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Wow...what have I been missing. :lol:

Tom