PDA

View Full Version : cusco cage installed..pics

onesicklambo
02-05-2006, 02:01 PM
so I installed my cusco roll cage last night...and man what a job. I am sick today throwing up because i drank 2 redline(energey drinks) just to get the energy to do it. Those drinks are stong and get you wired! (for anyone that knows what im talking about) Anyways...this is not a easy "BOLT IN"..more as a "slam/bang/hammer IN"..me and 3 frinds worked form 8pm to 12:30..so heres the results. I posted many angles becasue when i searched for pics I found only a few..maybe some people would like to know where all the mounting points are...where exactly the bars go etc. MY first idea was to assemble it in the car..lightly bolt in all the bolts and move the cage slightly around where its going to mount. WRONG. this is SUCH a tight fit i had my whole interiir stripped, carpet pulled back..and even removved the 1/4"sound deadening(where cages bolts to floor) to gain clearence for the center "main" bar. Clearence is sotight between the floor and the headliner that is put a few creases in the headlinereeee. BUt i will get over it. i hope. Also..I dont see how people say this is for a RHD vehicle as both sides are semetrical. Enjoi!

PROS: *Flashy, blue cucso sig. paint
*stiffins up the chassis alot( i didnt get the test it much..but i really felt a ddifference driving it home)
*nice show peice

CONS:
*pretty hard to put in
*little TOO tight of a fit
*not legal for racing..show only!!lol
* you lose your glove box..and sun visors.
pics:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/bmxpert57/IMG_1822.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/bmxpert57/IMG_1821.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/bmxpert57/IMG_1820.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/bmxpert57/IMG_1819.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/bmxpert57/IMG_1818.jpg

NEXT ON THE LIST:
-advan rs GTR face GOLD - ON ORDER
-Seibon ts-II hood- OnORDER
-cwest front- ON oRDER
-DEFI bf ambver imperial- ON ORDER
-PMU or Rotora BBK(not sure which one yet)
-voltex or wwest side skirts(not sure either yet)

comment and citisism please!!

L84AD8
02-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Damn bling blingin dude! 8) Looks like you be droppin bombz on your ride. It's freakin fast and sweet lookin! :P

Matz
02-05-2006, 02:40 PM
looks really nice -- great install! but I hope you drive with a helmet on 100% of the time. :shock:

MarkSAE
02-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Nice interior dude. The Bride fabric looks sweet!

But man, I didn't know the cusco cage had hinges on them like that.

onesicklambo
02-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Nice interior dude. The Bride fabric looks sweet!

But man, I didn't know the cusco cage had hinges on them like that.
thanks! they arent hinges, those are the parts that makes it possible to bolt it in

Evo442
02-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Nice looking cage! Hope you're going to get some padding on those bars soon!

wilson1
02-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Nice looking cage! Hope you're going to get some padding on those bars soon!

+1

Don't let Tam see this thread, you know what he's going to say! :lol:

onesicklambo
02-05-2006, 07:19 PM
^ ya how its a waste of money..the safty hazzard, not even legal:smackdown: ...but you know what IM A REBEL :twisted: plus i dont track my car :D

missred
02-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Dayem Stew...looking good. Did you finally get your new hood too?

ZK
02-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Looks nice! Love the matching front and rear seats!

onesicklambo
02-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Dayem Stew...looking good. Did you finally get your new hood too?
UG no..seibon is slower than a SNail. o well..hopefully by the summer will have everyhting else and itll all come together

turbotiger
02-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Aren't you supposed to take off the headliner when installing the roll cage?
That's probably why things are so tight.

onesicklambo
02-06-2006, 01:19 AM
^well....
1)all instructions looked like this:http://www.moesdiner.com/Japan/nuka-instr.jpg
2)i could not find anyone with it installed..so i couldnt really ask them if it needed ot be removed
3)the few that i have SEEN do have the headliner in place..so i would think it has to be in tact while installing the cage

mynameizstitch
02-06-2006, 01:49 AM
you've got the nicest interior yet!!! NICE CAR!!!

Gruppe-S
02-06-2006, 06:20 PM
nice cage! If I remember correctly...there are time attack cars running this cage and its FIA approved. Anyway, thats beside the point because you are using it for show only. Its always a good JDM addition....now lets hope your rims get here sooner.

Thanks,
Tom

dohcvtec
02-06-2006, 06:26 PM
nice cage! If I remember correctly...there are time attack cars running this cage and its FIA approved.
I find that VERY hard to belive with the bends that cage makes in the rear and in the front.

onesicklambo
02-06-2006, 06:32 PM
nice cage! If I remember correctly...there are time attack cars running this cage and its FIA approved. Anyway, thats beside the point because you are using it for show only. Its always a good JDM addition....now lets hope your rims get here sooner.

Thanks,
Tom
yes!!! btw tom you ever get the tow hook covers in? :?

vtluu
02-06-2006, 07:43 PM
If I remember correctly...there are time attack cars running this cage and its FIA approved.
With all due respect Tom... :bs:

Admittedly I haven't looked at the FIA specs for rollcages, but this cage wouldn't pass safety in any racing organization I know, and FIA standards are more stringent than most.

For example let's take a look at the 2006 SCCA club racing rules: http://scca.org/_FileLibrary/File/GCR2006.pdf

Firstly, according to 18.1.3, the roll cage should be padded with SFI-rated foam padding (no pool noodles), but obviously that can be added so let's move on...

18.1.6.C: minimum tubing specs for a car of this weight is 1.750 x 0.120 DOM; does the Cusco cage meet that? Furthermore, the main hoop (and in this case it's not even a hoop at all, and has hinges) exceeds the 4 bends allowed, the rear hoop supports definitely have more than the "no bends" allowed. By the wording of the rule, that might be okay... but then you have to use 2.000 x 0.120 DOM tubing.

18.2.2: "Removable roll cages and braces shall be very carefully designed
and constructed to be at least as strong as a permanent installation." Anyone think those flex hinges are as strong as welded tubes?

18.2.5: you need to have either a front roll hoop made from one continuous tube (4 bends allowed), or 1 continuous hoop on each side. This Cusco cage clearly has neither.

18.2.6: we already determined the rear braces (going from the main hoop to the back of the car) aren't legal, and this section only makes it more not legal.

18.2.7: door bars will be required starting next year, although they're not required yet, so we'll let this one go.

18.2.8: mounting and backing plates (it does have backing plates, right?) must be at least 3/16" thick, and each bolted to the car with no fewer than 3 bolts. I can't see them in the photos so maybe I'll give Cusco the benefit of the doubt here.

It's clear to me this cage doesn't come close to meeting the minimum requirements for even SCCA Showroom Stock class (other classes including Touring and IT have stricter requirements, including a diagonal brace which is also absent here). I'd be very surprised if it meets FIA regulations.

Is it pretty? Yes? Nicely made? Sure. A roadracing-legal roll cage? Definitely not. Safe? I have my doubts; I sure as heck would rather go without a cage than with this contraption.

BTW, don't forget to clean that handprint off your B-pillar. ;)

Matz
02-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Tam, I thought you were a coder, but are you actually in QA? You'd be awesome at our company. Send me a PM when you're sick of VMWare. :) Damn I bet you'd enforce our s/w style guide pretty well.

methods4
02-06-2006, 07:53 PM
...comment and citisism please!!

You are going to die via crushed skull or impalement. :(

vtluu
02-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Tam, I thought you were a coder, but are you actually in QA? You'd be awesome at our company. Send me a PM when you're sick of VMWare. :) Damn I bet you'd enforce our s/w style guide pretty well.
Cone-dodging has made me an Expert Rule-Book Reader. :lol:

...but you know what IM A REBEL :twisted: plus i dont track my car :D
You'll be a dead REBEL when those bolted joints pop in a crash and one of those bars impales you, or smashes your brains out. Or the cage deforms and prevents you from getting out of a burning car.

Don't take this personally, if you know it's unsafe and you still want to keep it, go right ahead. I just don't want anybody buying/installing this cage with the belief that it's legal or safe in any way.

MitsuMan
02-06-2006, 08:51 PM
I likes it. I'm getting one too just cause its dangerous.

btw tam its a street cage, don't have a cow dude. How are you suposed to get poeple into the back seats if you have like an Autopower cage.
REAL cages only work on RACE cars street cars however perfer something that is streetable and yet better thatn nothing at all

Tam call Cusco and express your concerns I'm sure they would like the feed back from a REAL racer like yourself.

Evo8andahalf
02-06-2006, 09:14 PM
i think it looks good :bigglasses: but i wouldve spent the money to get something functional instead

EvoRicer
02-06-2006, 09:40 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/bmxpert57/IMG_1820.jpg

Nice Cage. I like the Art Work on the Driver side B Panel! :thumbsup:

onesicklambo
02-06-2006, 09:45 PM
^ haahah i didnt even notice that until you pointed it out. now that i remember i "pulled" my car out of the garage because i didnt feel like starting it..before hand i was working with some dusty brake pads. haha :oops:

EVILutionVIII
02-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Very, very nice 8)

leif
02-06-2006, 10:21 PM
you may not ever take it on the track..but given your criminal record (mine is similar so im not suggesting anything about you, hell i was on probation for it), you may find yourself in a situation where you are upside down. it probably wont be your fault since, you know, we're all perfect drivers here, but accidents do happen and chances are it wont be a result of your actions, but that collection of pipes, bends, and hinges wont help you any.

we're not saying you're some kind of homo for being all jdm but its for your own saftey. hell, driving on the street is more dangerous in some aspects than the track. at least on the track everyone is sober and going the same direction.

onesicklambo
02-06-2006, 10:44 PM
ive cleaned up from racing hence the going all show. its much safer and also legal :D

VOD
02-06-2006, 10:57 PM
In any case, that is a sweet ride nice mods , was it worth all the trouble though????
:-)

methods4
02-07-2006, 11:41 AM
I likes it. I'm getting one too just cause its dangerous.

btw tam its a street cage, don't have a cow dude. How are you suposed to get poeple into the back seats if you have like an Autopower cage.
REAL cages only work on RACE cars street cars however perfer something that is streetable and yet better thatn nothing at all

Tam call Cusco and express your concerns I'm sure they would like the feed back from a REAL racer like yourself.

I think you're missing the point. Doesn't matter if you're on the street or the track with that roll cage. Having that contraption in your car is more of a safety hazard than a safety enhancement. Street cars should not have roll cages. Roll bars, fine. Roll cages, not so much. Roll cages designed like the Cusco, reeeally not so much.

Just be careful onesicklambo!

vtluu
02-07-2006, 01:20 PM
As I said, it's your car, do what you want with it. I don't have a problem with you putting yourself at increased risk. Just don't trick yourself--and more importantly anybody else--into believing that it's safe.

Just don't crash, and don't let anybody else crash into you, and you'll be okay. :lol:

Mr. R
02-07-2006, 07:28 PM
nice cage...how long did it take for the install?

onesicklambo
02-25-2006, 12:45 AM
nice cage...how long did it take for the install?took about 4 hours me and a friend