PDA

View Full Version : Dyno testing of head/FMIC temps..

david buschur
03-24-2004, 10:22 AM
Hi all,

As you guys have been reading we have been working on porting the EVO head. We put the head on last week and just got around to putting the car back on the dyno yesterday.

The car has our BR440 (previously called our BR475) on it. This is the same turbo that was on the car for the last dyno sessions we did. Other notable parts on the car that haven't changed. The shortblock is still bone stock and the same fuel is still in the tank from before (race gas).

The turbo is just maxed out at this point. As I have pointed out in previous posts this turbo was built to replace the overpriced Mitsubishi TDO5H 20G turbos we have run and had such great luck with over the last 15 years. The most HP I have ever seen from a 20G is 446 whp. This car (446 whp) had NO accessory belts other than an alternator and waterpump. Fully built shortblock, ported head, cams etc. In comparison the EVO still has all the accessory belts (A/C, power steering, waterpump, alternator) all intact and a stock shortblock.

The EVO with the stock head and the same turbo/fuel in it made 423 whp and 384 ft lbs of torque. We have since changed to our ported cylinder head and yesterday the car made 443.2 whp and 405.2 ft lbs. The car just won't maintain high boost to redline with this relatively small turbo. The boost at 7800 rpm when we stopped the run dropped to 21 psi. This is the same boost levels at the top of the pull we were seeing before the head.

Looks as though we gained a solid 20 hp and 21 ft lbs of torque.

Here are some interesting specs on this turbo. First, it is not ball bearing and is not water cooled. This is going to be the basic kit we offer for the EVO as it offer great spool up and a good power increase over the stock unit.

Looking at the datalog from the run the throttle was put to 100% at 3430 rpm, at 4059 rpm the car had 20 psi of boost. So in 629 rpm it went from 0 psi to 20 psi. In time the car went from 23.08 to 24.56, that is 1.48 seconds from 0 boost to 20 psi.

Something else that I personally found absolutely amazing was the intake temperatures. The runs we were doing we started at 77 degrees intake tempuratures. The runs at the end of the pulls varied from an increase of 3 to 9 degrees.

77 F to 80 F
77 F to 86 F
71 F to 77 F

That is some impressive stuff.

Next on our list is to start testing some more serious turbos. I have a couple being built right now. We should be back on the dyno next week with some new numbers.

I can't wait until the track opens!

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

coolguy949
03-24-2004, 10:45 AM
David, very impressive!! Could you guys start posting this stuff on SoCalEvo.net also? I know a lot of guys there love your products.

Rob

david buschur
03-24-2004, 11:08 AM
I'd love to post there. Any chance you can have one of the maderators/owners of the site send me an e-mail?

Send it to me at [email protected]

Thanks,
David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

coolguy949
03-24-2004, 11:20 AM
Me, i own both sites. I'll also forward you the mail I sent Tym.

WOT
03-24-2004, 12:15 PM
Hi all,

TDO5H 20G turbos we have run and had such great luck with over the last 15 years. The most HP I have ever seen from a 20G is 446 whp.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

Hi david, glad to read your post's. They are all very informative & come from a strong background of experience.

You mentioned the TD05H 20G turbo achieving full boost (20 psi) by 4k. What size turbine housing are you using? The rpm @ which 20 psi is made seems higher than a 16g. Could you please elaborate on why?

Is the 20G you are refering to, is it just a std evo turbo, with a rebalanced assembly using a standard 20G compressor wheel, housing, backplate, etc?

thanks in advance

coolguy949
03-24-2004, 12:23 PM
Hi all,

TDO5H 20G turbos we have run and had such great luck with over the last 15 years. The most HP I have ever seen from a 20G is 446 whp.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

You mentioned the TD05H 20G turbo achieving full boost (20 psi) by 4k. What size turbine housing are you using?

TD05H

WOT
03-24-2004, 12:30 PM
I was under the impression that he td05 designates the turbine wheel size, but the 9.8 or 10.5 represents the a/r of the turbine housing itself. So the 9.8 would offer a quicker spool up over the 10.5. However, the 10.5 will reduce your backpressure.

WOT
03-24-2004, 02:07 PM
Hi all,

Something else that I personally found absolutely amazing was the intake temperatures. The runs we were doing we started at 77 degrees intake tempuratures. The runs at the end of the pulls varied from an increase of 3 to 9 degrees.

77 F to 80 F
77 F to 86 F
71 F to 77 F

That is some impressive stuff.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

David- what was your outside ambient temps @ the time & where were you measuring your "inlet temp" at? After the ic, in the plenum, etc?

david buschur
03-29-2004, 09:36 AM
The new 20G turbo we are building for the EVO will use the stock turbine side and an upgraded compressor wheel. The wheel has to be built because of the reverse rotation.

Outside temps the day we did the dyno testing I am guessing were in the high 50's, it was warm enough we had the doors open.

The intake temp sensor is right before the throttle body in the intercooler pipe.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

WOT
03-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the reply David-

When do you plan on offering this turbo mod?

How much would this turbo mod cost? A rough guess is ok, I wont hold you too it!

david buschur
03-31-2004, 07:35 AM
The turbo was suppose to ready in about 4 weeks. That was about 2 weeks ago. As always I am sure there is going to be a huge hold up.

The turbo should go for about $1400, no more than that, hopefully less.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com