PDA

View Full Version : general mechanic knowledge needed...

uhoh_evo
03-24-2004, 10:30 AM
aiight, here's the deal. cousin came over, we were hungry and had no food at my house, so we went to Jack in the Box. Car was lovely as usual. get in, eat, get out w/in 15 mins. and head back to our cars.

my panel turned on and everything but when i try to start my car, it just won't crank or anything. :( It makes this quiet whining sound and i know that's the battery, and so i'm thinking starter. but the starter doesn't even make a clicking noise to show the solenoid hitting.

so now i'm thinking electronics. of course i'm no professional whatsoever, so i'm just assuming here. i'm going to take it to the dealership because i'm pretty sure that with whatever it is will be covered under warranty (hopefully). but any quick info would help a lot

warpspeed
03-24-2004, 11:23 AM
check the starter clutch switch on the clutch pedal and see if it disconnected or not hitting the switch. Remember you have to step on the clutch to start the engine.

EvolvedDSM
03-24-2004, 11:35 AM
check the starter clutch switch on the clutch pedal and see if it disconnected or not hitting the switch. Remember you have to step on the clutch to start the engine.

+1 You can easily work around this if it's faulty: http://www.columbusdsm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=853

The problem could lie with the starter, battery, alternator and/or fuses/relays, but the above is the easiest first step in trying to determine what's goin on.

uhoh_evo
03-25-2004, 09:24 AM
aiight, thanks for the info guys. very interesting, i didn't know that. but yea, of course i held down the clutch pedal. i'm no idiot (most of the time) :)