PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new O2 sensor...

XVeloX
02-07-2006, 08:45 PM
So when i was trying to take the O2 sensor out of the O2 housing Friday night, looks like the O2 sensor seized up and practically welded itself to the housing. On spoolin's it came out with no problem... needless to say i now have an O2 sensor stuck in the stock housing, and a brand new housing sitting in the garage. Anyone know of any replacement O2 sensors that will work? I have been looking all day now and all i can find are $200+ guys. Just curious if there are any better/cheaper ones out there. I will pay the $200 if i need to...but shit i really don't wanna do that...

and yes the stock O2 sensor is just about stripped to a circular bolt now because even while using the correct size wrench, having the sensor housing clamped in a vice, and using an estimated 150+ ft-lbs. of torque just wouldnt free it, just stripped the metal....... still have one more idea but we'll see...

MarkSAE
02-07-2006, 09:39 PM
The exact same thing happened to me when I installed my 10.5 hotside. I couldn't get my o2 sensor off and ended up rounding the corners off. I didn't upgrade o2 housings, so I just slapped mine back on. If I ever need to change o2 sensors, I'll have to get a new o2 housing and sensor.

You can try calling WORKS. They might have a spare o2 sensor laying around. I just checked the pricing at mitsubishiparts.net and it's $205 for a new one! Good lord!

Matz
02-07-2006, 10:15 PM
The exact same thing happened to me when I installed my 10.5 hotside. I couldn't get my o2 sensor off and ended up rounding the corners off. I didn't upgrade o2 housings, so I just slapped mine back on. If I ever need to change o2 sensors, I'll have to get a new o2 housing and sensor.

You can try calling WORKS. They might have a spare o2 sensor laying around. I just checked the pricing at mitsubishiparts.net and it's $205 for a new one! Good lord!

$205? Aren't the widebands only $80??? :shock:

XVeloX
02-07-2006, 11:10 PM
ya, thats the same price i was seeing, and from what i could tell the widebands didn't have the connector for the stock harness, its set up to go to a seperate unit. and also i thought widebands were $300+??? or at least teh name brand electric ones that i could find... I slapped the stock O2 back on too, but its frustrating.... damnit mitsu! would it hurt so much as to use a tiny glob of anti-sieze!!!

XVeloX
02-07-2006, 11:12 PM
oh ya and all of the "discounted OEM parts" that promis up to 70% discounts on OEM replacement parts were at best $186 - $193 lol

earlyapex
02-07-2006, 11:18 PM
That's pretty much what they cost.

Don't break them. :wink:

spoolin
02-07-2006, 11:34 PM
man that sucks to be you Kit. You need to got to like EIP or something and snag one off the floor somewhere. lol J/k. It must be painful to have your new 02 housing just chillin in ur garage too. Oh, and that huge hole in your exhaust manifold isnt a plus either. Just playin bro, im sure i'll be at ur house tryin to get that 02 sensor off this weekend. wd40?

dohcvtec
02-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Or if you want to be really cheap you can get a generic one and wire it up. Depending on the number of wires going to the O2 sensor, they're all really the same.

XVeloX
02-07-2006, 11:53 PM
ya that was my next move, it's not that hard, but the only generic ones i could find were something like 20 cm long... there would be some guessing and massive amounts of splicing into random wires...yuck I dunno i was just tryin to ask around hoping that someone else had found a hookup for good cheap OEM replacements...o well... f u mitsu and your overpriced parts! :evil:

XVeloX
02-08-2006, 12:45 AM
found this...any thoughts?

https://www.automedicsupply.com/catalog4.php?PHPSESSID=73b19f5c6631d7d346742429d0b 3a5da

says $99 for OE O2 sensor, or $52 i think for a universal... ill think about it, but this is the right price range for me.... :shock:

oh ya and it says....
Catalog part # 250-24631 Replaces:
Chrysler/Mitsubishi MD164423

also has a guarantee if you wanna send it back defective or not... maybe it will be worth trying. It's a hell of a lot better than straight from mitsu parts...those fuckers...

Matz
02-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Hey that looks like a good find! It's interesting that there are two different parts. I was going to tell you to move the rear to the front, and then replace the rear with a wideband. Then you can feed the simulated O2 to the ECU. But maybe the rear O2 can't handle the high exhaust temps... Anyhow, looks like it's worth trying, but maybe you should find out if the store itself (and not just the sensor manufacturer) is reputable or not.

dohcvtec
02-08-2006, 09:49 AM
ya that was my next move, it's not that hard, but the only generic ones i could find were something like 20 cm long... there would be some guessing and massive amounts of splicing into random wires...yuck I dunno i was just tryin to ask around hoping that someone else had found a hookup for good cheap OEM replacements...o well... f u mitsu and your overpriced parts! :evil:
I think its only 4 wires. Power, ground, heater and signal.

earlyapex
02-08-2006, 11:16 AM
I think its only 4 wires. Power, ground, heater and signal.

You forgot the gone to plaid wire.

http://datacore.sciflicks.com/spaceballs/images/spaceballs_large_02.jpg

XVeloX
02-19-2006, 02:21 AM
sweeeeeet well the O2 sensor came today, ill post pics tomorrow, but it's a perfect fit into my new O2 housing, came with the clip on the end just like OEM, and came with some anti-sieze... Looks great and saved me something like $120 Anyone who needs one, i suggest buying it off here for cheap, it is a great product, came quickly and looks great... O2 housing install tomorrow!!!!!!!!! w00t