PDA

View Full Version : Clutch install day...

evo8jedi
02-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Hey guys, I know I've never really been a NorCal Guy I kinda fell out of the SoCal thing too since I've been living in Japan for the past year.. but I came back the other day to come to my car and find the clutch has problems... Mitsu thinks the pressure plate is shot and I'm not down on paying 900+ bucks for the labor itself... I'm having a clutch and flywheel and everything fedexed up from San Diego and Hoping to do the install come Friday if possible, or as soon as it gets here, but no later than friday.. is there anybody in the Modesto area thats free Thursday Friday time frame and wanna Tear off the tranny and do a clutch with me? I do buy beer... :D

mynameizstitch
02-14-2006, 06:37 PM
I would help you out but i've never done a clutch install before 8)

earlyapex
02-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Whoever is quoting you $900 on just labor for a clutch install is ripping you off big f'in time.

mynameizstitch
02-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Whoever is quoting you $900 on just labor for a clutch install is ripping you off big f'in time.

+1

mchagsingog
02-14-2006, 07:47 PM

+1

:werd:

Matz
02-14-2006, 07:57 PM

$900??? That's a steal! Two Mitsu dealerships quoted me $120 / hr, and I think it was like 10 hours total. :shock:

lqdchkn
02-14-2006, 09:19 PM

$900??? That's a steal! Two Mitsu dealerships quoted me $120 / hr, and I think it was like 10 hours total. :shock:

My dealer quoted the same price but 8hrs

earlyapex
02-14-2006, 11:32 PM
I wouldn't trust a dealer to do my clutch install. Plus, as you can see, they rip you off, if it takes them 8 or 10 hrs to do a clutch install, they have no right doing one.

nebolic
02-15-2006, 12:14 AM
I wouldn't trust a dealer to do my clutch install. Plus, as you can see, they rip you off, if it takes them 8 or 10 hrs to do a clutch install, they have no right doing one.

you do realize that there is industry standard book that they quote labor jobs by right?

You seem to know everything so maybe you should do the install free for him.

nebo

earlyapex
02-15-2006, 12:28 AM
you do realize that there is industry standard book that they quote labor jobs by right?

You seem to know everything so maybe you should do the install free for him.

nebo

Yes I do realize that is industry standard for dealers. You can get it cheaper at normal shops. You can get the install for almost half of what the dealer is charging.

If you think $900 labor isn't a rip off for a clutch install and that the members here should pay that much, than go at it.

I'm trying to save the guys some money.

evo8jedi
02-15-2006, 05:45 AM
yea man 900 is insane the clutch and flywheel I'm getting dont even cost that much total! but that quote came from Modesto mitsubishi... but they're not the only ones to quote me that i called some private shops and got a couple $800 quotes, but i did get one quote for under 400 some where... i even got alot of turn downs from shops that don't wanna work on an evo cuz they dont wanna warrenty a high performance car and the work they do... craaazy...

mynameizstitch- no worries on the know how, I'll just need an extra set of hands to re mount it. I know how to do it.. I just freaking changed the clutch on my EVO 1 a month ago, and swapped its motor like 4 days ago so i'm a little experienced..

bdking57
02-15-2006, 08:27 AM
yeah.. i would agree that is just an insane price... Its really sad to say but the majority of these service shops are just intrested in doing as little work as possible for as much money. I would go take your car to someone who is passionate about evos, and you will end up actually paying a fair price and to some one who probably deserves it more..

mynameizstitch
02-15-2006, 11:01 AM
yea man 900 is insane the clutch and flywheel I'm getting dont even cost that much total! but that quote came from Modesto mitsubishi... but they're not the only ones to quote me that i called some private shops and got a couple $800 quotes, but i did get one quote for under 400 some where... i even got alot of turn downs from shops that don't wanna work on an evo cuz they dont wanna warrenty a high performance car and the work they do... craaazy...

mynameizstitch- no worries on the know how, I'll just need an extra set of hands to re mount it. I know how to do it.. I just freaking changed the clutch on my EVO 1 a month ago, and swapped its motor like 4 days ago so i'm a little experienced..

Well If you need extra hands let me know always down to help a fellow evo owner ;)

reglaranang
02-15-2006, 05:29 PM
well it took me and my buddy 4 days of hard labor...using evomoto.com instructions...thats because on weekdays the shop is opne 5 hours and on the weekend its 7 hours...so rather than paying big buck we did it...if i had to do it again man i would really think about it...SRT mortorsports quoted me $400...i hope i can say that...but yeah...if you have time and resources and someone who knows wat they are doing then go for it...if not id pay...my 2cents

GST
02-15-2006, 07:32 PM
well it took me and my buddy 4 days of hard labor...using evomoto.com instructions...thats because on weekdays the shop is opne 5 hours and on the weekend its 7 hours...so rather than paying big buck we did it...if i had to do it again man i would really think about it...SRT mortorsports quoted me $400...i hope i can say that...but yeah...if you have time and resources and someone who knows wat they are doing then go for it...if not id pay...my 2cents

That's a great price, I wouldn't do an Evo clutch for less than $650.

Mike

earlyapex
02-15-2006, 08:25 PM

Mike

Now that's a fair price.

Matz
02-16-2006, 06:55 AM

Mike

I'll be in touch with you when my clutch starts slipping. :thumbsup:

evo8jedi
02-16-2006, 12:53 PM
ok started the process got the car on stands got the cherry picker and all my tools so about to start tearin bits and pieces off any serious helping hands the real dirty stuff I plan on doing tonight or tomorrow morning so PM me and I can get you some directions Thanx

reglaranang
02-16-2006, 01:03 PM
if you need some directions look at www.evomoto.com for guidence thats wat i used for my clutch install...

SpeedElement
02-16-2006, 06:52 PM
we do it for $600 ;)