PDA

View Full Version : Evo IX turbo on 03 Evo VIII - dyno results are in!

SJCoruja
02-16-2006, 01:27 AM
Ok, I am crashing soon so will be editing and adding to this post in the morning. Didn't want to keep everyone waiting so at least wanted to get some initial impressions and the dyno up.

First, I really want to give a HUGE thank you to Gruppe-S for the awesome work on the installs, and especially Mike for the awesome tuning and late night work.

For the dynos, the first was done at the free Gruppe-S Evo dyno day. Mods at that time were - HFC, cat-back exhaust, 264/272 cams, and ECU reflash tune. Even at that time the AFRs were getting around 11.9 on the top end. We really weren't able to do an immediate before dyno tonight because of the shape the car was in before Gruppe-S fixed it up, so we had to use this one as the "before".

http://my.prostreetonline.com/album/SJCoruja/MattS.jpg

Tonight, Gruppe-S installed the Evo IX turbo, tubular O2 housing, 3" downpipe, MBC, and injectors. (cam gears were also added previously). The car was Ecutek tuned by Mike.

http://my.prostreetonline.com/album/SJCoruja/Dyno215.jpg

As you can see, great gains in power and AWESOME torque gain. With the addition of the O2 housing and downpipe, I was not expecting much at the low end/torque...figuring I would be swapping that out for more top end. This was not the case at all and the low end is amazing. Most importantly, the turbo spools up so much quicker and the torque is VERY steady all the way across. The boost is at 1.5 bar and stays that way with very little taper all the way to redline. Also, the AFRs were at a safe 11.2 max at the top end.

Driving impressions - DDAAAAAAYYYYYAAAAMMMMMMMNNNNNN! :shock:

The power comes on so quick and is SO smooth. There is no lag to speak of...step on the gas and the turbo is there. All the way to redline the power is rock solid and strong. A spirited entry on to the freeway through all the gears was enough to make the butterflies in the gut do acrobatics. Cruising in 5th and then gassing it a bit gives you plenty of kick with no need to downshift. I can go on and on later, and of course will give rides to anyone seriously considering this mod.

Reality check: As awesome as all of this is, there is still PLENTY of power left to be had. Keep in mind all of this was done on an 03 Evo with 63k miles. I have 264/272 cams not straight 272s or 280s. There also was some cam noise that we think may be affecting the knock sensor as there still was some timing to be had that the ECU wasn't giving up. This also was all done with just a HFC...test pipe would really open it up more. The dyno runs were also done back to back with little cooling in between...all pulls were close, consistent, and predictable. The highest numbers of the night were actually the last run when the car was hottest and the room was making me high in the lobby. :lol:

What does all this mean? With the price of the TMEs on the rise, it really is a slam dunk mod. I truly think the power delivery will shine on track, and also look forward to trying it out at auto-x as the style of power delivery will be even more useful there I believe. Basically, any 03/04 with the 9.8 hotside will flip out with this mod. 05s who already have the 10.5 hotside MAY not see as dramatic of an increase, but the quicker spool, more solid power, and predictability of the turbo will still more than make it worthwhile.

Thanks again to Mike and all the guys at Gruppe-S! :thumbsup:

wilson1
02-16-2006, 01:48 AM
Nice # 8)

Matz
02-16-2006, 06:39 AM
I am jealous. Thank you very much for dropping your wad of cash and also posting the info for everyone to see! :thumbsup:

guntings
02-16-2006, 07:38 AM
Cool....this should partially bridge the performance gap between my '04 and the rest of the other evos out there. :D

Cameron@xperformance
02-16-2006, 08:20 AM
nice!

SouthernCrane
02-16-2006, 08:21 AM
Nice numbers there :D Good job Gruppe-S 8)

dohcvtec
02-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Nice to hear Matt!! I want a ride in that sucker! :) Gruppe-s is top notch.

lncrevoviii
02-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Nice one CORUJA, haha so you got to see the results before me. haha.
but anyway, nice numbers. I wasn't expecting it to be that high, but i was sure about boost response. BTW: the stock turbo and evo IX turbo side by side showed that there was going to be a power difference. The IX turbo is huge. :D Good results.

earlyapex
02-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Awesome Matt,

You must be loving the car now.!

Mike did an amazing job tuning that car to make those numbers with those cams and a cat.

That is truely a testament to how well this car was tuned and responded to those mods!

SJCoruja
02-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks! I was really amazed at how well it turned out. Now I am tempted to go test pipe with a few more aggressive mods and see where that takes it. :D

MarkSAE
02-16-2006, 12:50 PM
What HFC are you running BTW?

leaveit2bevo
02-16-2006, 01:05 PM
what would this car make on a dj?

earlyapex
02-16-2006, 01:12 PM

Pulling numbers out of my ass, maybe 340-350? Really have no idea though since I don't think any cars that have dynoed on the gruppe-s dyno have dynoed on a dynojet as well.

KevOVIII
02-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Good stuff! :thumbsup:

On the topic of dynojets... is there one close by? I used to go to ATP when I had my other car but their dyno is closed to the public now.

earlyapex
02-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Matt, what 3" DP did you put on and what is the reason you didn't use the Megan 3" you had?

SJCoruja
02-16-2006, 02:13 PM
The HFC is from Works, and the downpipe is actually the prototype for ProStreet's 3" downpipe. It had looked like it wouldn't be ready in time for my original install/tuning appointment so I had bought the Megan as backup so I could get tuned for the mods I would have. Everything came together fine so now the Megan is up for grabs.

mynameizstitch
02-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Nice #'s you have there 8)

MitsuMan
02-16-2006, 04:07 PM
oohhhh dude I am sooo there man!!!!!!!!!! Wait till ya see what I put down. ITS TIME FOR A IX

btw that is the 20g IX right? see you at the meet on the 18th
as Napoleon would say "lucky"!!!!!!
well done

earlyapex
02-16-2006, 04:39 PM
btw that is the 20g IX right?

No, its a stock IX turbo. not a 20g

GokuSSJ4
02-16-2006, 10:47 PM
this gives hopes for those that want an aggresive midrange turbo

L84AD8
02-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Congrats man! Nice numbers. :P 8)

bdking57
02-21-2006, 10:01 AM
I would say even higher then that.. just speaking of all the of dynojet evos making close to 400whp on the dj.. I wouldnt bet against this car breaking the 400whp mark on certain examples. Consider that they were making close to 400whp on the evo IX with stock cams, mbc, flash and tbe. I think everyone from our area can appreciate the fact 300whp on the Mustang is a fast car.

Pulling numbers out of my ass, maybe 340-350? Really have no idea though since I don't think any cars that have dynoed on the gruppe-s dyno have dynoed on a dynojet as well.

warpspeed
02-21-2006, 11:04 AM
I was planning on getting the TME or the IX turbo. I was wondering what gains I would get if I just get the IX turbo and DP?

earlyapex
02-21-2006, 11:04 AM
I would say even higher then that.. just speaking of all the of dynojet evos making close to 400whp on the dj.. I wouldnt bet against this car breaking the 400whp mark on certain examples.

No way in hell a 300whp MD car is making 400whp on a dynojet. That would mean I am making almost 50whp more than other cars with the same mods. (which dyno around 340-350 on a dynojet)

While that would be a great bragging right, it's just not true.

Remember those almost 400whp IX examples you are seeing are not on 91 octane. Go look at socal evo and see what evos with cams, etc are making on dynojets in socal.

Somebody find me a Dynojet in Norcal and I will pay to dyno just so everyone knows what a 300whp MD (gruppe-s) car makes on one.

bdking57
02-21-2006, 12:42 PM
:D no doubt.. i would love to see the comparison to as we really dont have any bench mark.. but im just looking for some explanation how a evo IX with the basic mods and a custom flash can make 390whp on a dynojet.. yet your car with 272/272 cams, injectors etc wouldnt make at least that much.
Others have claimed the octane difference really isnt that substantial at all.. so where is all that extra power coming from? well.. just grossly exaggerated dynojets. Some may read in line with your estimate of 350.. but I know there are a few dyno jets out there that would give you a pleasant suprise.. I would also factor in that you spent alot of time on your tune.. Iv got a similiar setup, more supporting mods (however 03 turbo) and have the car detuned to around 270whp.. My thought was that most of these cars are dialed in more like mine.. with basic custom tuning.. note how few cars are at 300whp around here? Thats why i was tacking on another 30whp in your case on the dynojet.

earlyapex
02-21-2006, 12:50 PM
The pruven dynojet is one of the highest reading dynojets in existance.

SJCoruja
02-21-2006, 12:55 PM
OK, all of this has me thinking...what more would it take for me to hit 350whp here on the MD? I figure race gas, 272 cams, test pipe, intercooler and piping, and tubular manifold are in the not too distant future. Would that be enough?

SouthernCrane
02-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Somebody find me a Dynojet in Norcal and I will pay to dyno just so everyone knows what a 300whp MD (gruppe-s) car makes on one.

ATP in Fremont has a dynojet.......i am interested in what you would pull myself and would be willing to chip in a few bucks for you to go there and put it on the dyno.

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/navigation/aboutus.htm

KevOVIII
02-21-2006, 01:58 PM
ATP in Fremont has a dynojet.......i am interested in what you would pull myself and would be willing to chip in a few bucks for you to go there and put it on the dyno.

It's closed to the public. :(

SouthernCrane
02-21-2006, 02:08 PM

It's closed to the public. :(

That sucks, when did they close it to the public?

bdking57
02-21-2006, 02:42 PM
:D with race gas, and the other additions mention, I think you would have a good shot at reaching your goal.... tuning is a funny business though.. because of you really wanted to hit 350whp, It really would be that much of a problem for you with a couple more mods.. but actually getting a reliable 350whp on a MD.. well I have reservations on this. I can tell you that my car has 63K miles on it now.. and I had the cams put on about 10K ago. now im getting the ticking when the car is warming up from low oil pressure when the oil is cold.. now also when im in a garage I can hear more ticking thats rpm dependent..and there is this weird occasional grinding/clunk noice. Im wondering how many of the cammed 4g63s are going to start failing once they hit 100K. I just heard of someones failing.. some sort of rod knock issue.. im wondering if my engine is starting to develop this. Still pulls fine though, but the car is so damn loud is hard to tell if its making any unusual sounds or not.

OK, all of this has me thinking...what more would it take for me to hit 350whp here on the MD? I figure race gas, 272 cams, test pipe, intercooler and piping, and tubular manifold are in the not too distant future. Would that be enough?

SJCoruja
02-21-2006, 04:05 PM
I am in exactly the same boat....just hit 63k myself and have all of the symptoms you describe. Hmm...maybe I should hold off going too much further until I have money for the Stroker rebuild nearby just in case. :wink:

earlyapex
02-21-2006, 04:27 PM
You guys should hear 4G63's in DSMs with over 100k miles.

Your evos purr like kittens compared.

4G63's get very noisey and cranky with edge. I have yet to hear a evo with lifter tick anywhere close to the same level as DSMs.

Rod knock very rarely happens because of age, it happens because of something wrong with the tune of the motor or a very aggressive tune that has been beat on for years.

KevOVIII
02-21-2006, 04:29 PM
That sucks, when did they close it to the public?

A long while back.

earlyapex
02-21-2006, 06:47 PM
but im just looking for some explanation how a evo IX with the basic mods and a custom flash can make 390whp on a dynojet..

btw, where are you seeing IX's with basic mods and flash making 390whp on a dynojet?

they make around 330-345 from what I have seen.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=183616

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=178802

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=184891

bdking57
02-22-2006, 07:58 AM
im not saying all.. my al posted up a 390 whp IX graph with basic mods.. there is only one way to tell, we need a dynojet dyno day. :)

earlyapex
02-22-2006, 10:57 AM
im not saying all.. my al posted up a 390 whp IX graph with basic mods.. there is only one way to tell, we need a dynojet dyno day. :)

My al? How did that one car get 50whp more than all the others? No way from tuning.