PDA

View Full Version : How to check timing? - Jumpers needed?

Option2
02-20-2006, 12:27 PM
I need to check my timing and was wondering if I need to jump a connector to get an accurate reading.

Jay
02-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Why do you need to check timing?
the DIS system is controlled by a computer.
no way to adjust it.

Option2
02-20-2006, 12:34 PM
I know that. Just want to make sure that cams are lined up with the crank.

dohcvtec
02-20-2006, 12:37 PM
You don't use a timing light to do that. Rotate your crank shaft to TDC (look at the marks from tam's post). Then check the markings on your cam gears to see they line up.

Dr. Evo
02-20-2006, 01:03 PM
You don't use a timing light to do that. Rotate your crank shaft to TDC (look at the marks from tam's post). Then check the markings on your cam gears to see they line up.
Correct.

Option2
02-20-2006, 01:04 PM
I should be able to access it if I get the car up on ramps right? I shouldn't have to remove the passenger side wheel right?

earlyapex
02-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Didn't you just get your head rebuilt?

Who put the head back on the car?

Why do you think you're timing is off?

Option2
02-20-2006, 01:42 PM

Well my idle is still pretty lumpy compared to other "TR340" cars. The car runs MUCH stronger now but I just want to make sure everything is in order. I'm anal that way I guess. Unless I do the work myself, I'm not 100% satisfied that it's done right. So I just double check things myself. Before I bring the car back to WORKS, I wanted to do my own investigation.

Eclipse
02-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Correct.

Hey Jeremy,

is there a way to check base ignition timing without a factory monitor. Like using the jumpers on a DSM?

earlyapex
02-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Well my idle is still pretty lumpy compared to other "TR340" cars. The car runs MUCH stronger now but I just want to make sure everything is in order. I'm anal that way I guess. Unless I do the work myself, I'm not 100% satisfied that it's done right. So I just double check things myself. Before I bring the car back to WORKS, I wanted to do my own investigation.

Ah ok, I was just wondering why you think your timing is off.

Glad you are doing your own investigation. :)

dohcvtec
02-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Thats why you should do your own labor too!! :)

MitsuMan
02-20-2006, 02:49 PM

dude, if your cam timming was off you wouldn't run stronger you'd run like shit trust me. you sound like you should leave the car alone or atleast leave it to a professional (no offense i hope)

earlyapex
02-20-2006, 02:51 PM
dude, if your cam timming was off you wouldn't run stronger you'd run like shit trust me. you sound like you should leave the car alone or atleast leave it to a professional (no offense i hope)

He just wants to check the timing Mr. Bold Type man, let him be. Sometimes professionals aren't so professional.

MitsuMan
02-20-2006, 02:54 PM
"ok that makes sense." - Mr.Bold Type Man

Option2
02-20-2006, 10:01 PM
I just checked it and everything pretty much lines up. The crank is about 2 degrees to the left of TDC. That's still within spec right?

vtluu
02-20-2006, 10:31 PM
Yeah, the how-to I read at EvoMoto.com said 2-3 degrees is within spec. Basically it's just due to the way the gear teeth and timing belt mesh together. I was off by one tooth on the cam gears and the crank was about 11 degrees BTDC.

earlyapex
02-21-2006, 12:55 AM
I was off by one tooth on the cam gears and the crank was about 11 degrees BTDC.

Part throttle knock FTW!!!! :D :D :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: :D :D

Option2
02-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Now it's time to get her back on the dyno!!

Vtluu -
Where did you read about using a thin piece of metal method to realign the cam gears?

vtluu
02-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Where did you read about using a thin piece of metal method to realign the cam gears?
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=168232 (post #5)