PDA

View Full Version : Flipping brake pads

MarkSAE
02-22-2006, 01:22 PM
I pulled my front pads this weekend and noticed the inside pads were worn out a lot more than the outside pads. The inside pads have about 25% left while the outside has about 50%.

Has anyone tried swapping pads around to even the wear out? Inside pads to outside and vice versa.

I remember reading something about how putting a used pad on a new or resurfaced rotor will transfer the pads' wear pattern onto the rotor. I'm not sure how this would apply to an old rotor.

vtluu
02-22-2006, 01:26 PM
My front pads wear fairly evently, but my rear pads wear much faster on the inside too, probably due to heating. Flipping the pads is probably okay, just remember to bed them in again after you do, just like if you were installing new pads.

I don't think you should need to get a rotor resurfaced unless it's irregularly worn or "warped" in some way that doesn't eventually correct itself. (I've had brake pulsing due to uneven brake pad material deposition, but it went away after a week of regular driving.)

MarkSAE
02-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Cool.. I guess it shouldn't be a problem moving pads around to even out the wear.

The only other issue I could think of is with pads that have tapered wear. If I move a pad that has tapered wear into another spot that taper wears it in a different direction, I might not get 100% pad surface contact w/ the rotor. I'm sure the force of the brake pistons will deform the pad enough to get 100% contact.

dohcvtec
02-22-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm sure the force of the brake pistons will deform the pad enough to get 100% contact.
over time, yes. but not right away, the pad material is not that soft. :P

earlyapex
02-22-2006, 03:04 PM
You know, I've never resurfaced rotors once in my life. Ever.

New pads / old rotors, old pads / new rotors...

I just slap it all on and drive.

bedding is the most important part.

KitW
02-22-2006, 04:03 PM
You know, I've never resurfaced rotors once in my life. Ever.

New pads / old rotors, old pads / new rotors...

I just slap it all on and drive.

bedding is the most important part.

same here. if I get a judder from the pedal, I stick race compound pads in.