PDA

View Full Version : test pipe....

craziazzmofo66
02-22-2006, 01:32 PM
ok....if i wanted to run a test pipe, what kinda problems would i run into if theres gonna be any?? (this is without any ecu flash) would the check engine just come on?? cause im just gonna play around with things for now ill be usin my stock cat back on there.

thanks

vtluu
02-22-2006, 01:38 PM
what kinda problems would i run into if theres gonna be any??
You'll get pulled over and fined big-time?

craziazzmofo66
02-22-2006, 02:03 PM
im in kansas bud....theres no smog regulations.... :lol: and i wasnt plannin on usin it everyday, only trackdays :wink:

warpspeed
02-22-2006, 02:18 PM
im in kansas bud....theres no smog regulations....

This is one thing I don't get. When companies make these so called 50 state smog legal parts but some states don't have smog regulations.

MarkSAE
02-22-2006, 02:28 PM
You'll get a CEL on most likely because the rear o2 sensor will sense more exhaust flow.

It's cheaper for a company to make one product for everyone vs. two different products. Imagine if Mitsu had to make two types of every EVO out there. Slowly, more and more states are adopting higher emissions standards anyway.

Liquid-R1
02-22-2006, 02:36 PM
About 4+ years ago, Motorcycle manufacturers used to put out 2 different versions of the same bike. There would be the CA version and the 49 state (I think) emissions version. This would result in less hp and additional parts being throw on. I believe the R6 carb version has some major changes to the engine internally as well as a lower rev limit if I remember correctly.

vtluu
02-22-2006, 03:41 PM
im in kansas bud....theres no smog regulations.... :lol: and i wasnt plannin on usin it everyday, only trackdays :wink:
Heheh, I wouldn't mind running a test pipe for "only track days" too, but to be honest swapping cats (even though I can do it in under 10 minutes) is still more of a hassle than I can be bothered with.

As others have said, mainly you'll just get a check engine light complaining about "insufficient catalyst" or something like that, whatever... You can either (a) ignore it or (b) get an O2 sensor simulator to fool it. Actually, you do have a third option which is to remove the check engine light bulb. :lol: Regardless, whatever you do it won't affect the way the car runs.

ZK
02-22-2006, 03:50 PM
One drawback is the exhaust coming out will stain your bumper. On my previous car the part of the bumper right above the exhaust was always covered in soot and actually staining the paint black.

Liquid-R1
02-22-2006, 04:37 PM
You could ignore it and when you put the cat back in, just disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. It should go away. I believe it's a soft code so it doesn't stay in the memory...

DB8GSR
02-22-2006, 06:01 PM
< ran test pipe for over 2 years and not one single cel light from my Ultimate Racing test pipe ever came on. :wink:

EvoRicer
02-22-2006, 06:21 PM
Just get a Mechanical CEL Fix and you should be fine. I had the Mech CEL Fix hooked onto my O2 Sensor, then onto my IP pipe like how it was stock since the Sensor cant reach the Test Pipe Bung. I never got a CEL.

craziazzmofo66
02-22-2006, 09:36 PM
thanks for the imput guys!