PDA

View Full Version : Cosworth stuff INFO!

wilson1
02-22-2006, 05:52 PM
"
1. head as you know already out and can be ordered
2. cams , coming in 30 days , specs: 275in/278ex 10.5 lift (may do a couple of different grinds) $599 per pair
3. 2.2L 94mm billet crank , in 10weeks *if they say yes in the next few days $3300
4. pistons, coming in 2 weeks"

:D

dohcvtec
02-22-2006, 06:05 PM
good god that stuff is expensive.

earlyapex
02-22-2006, 06:48 PM
"

3. 2.2L 94mm billet crank , in 10weeks *if they say yes in the next few days $3300

Does that say $3300 for a crank?!??!!?

dohcvtec
02-22-2006, 06:49 PM
"

Does that say $3300 for a crank?!??!!?
Its made of platinum and has diamonds as counter weights.

earlyapex
02-22-2006, 06:52 PM
Its made of platinum and has diamonds as counter weights.

http://www.bryceduffy.com/adm/photo/16_famou_gold_teeth_single.jpg

smack
02-22-2006, 07:02 PM
so wilson we should expect you to show up with a fully built cosy in aprox 3 months?

wilson1
02-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Yeah, billet crank for 3300.

wilson1
02-22-2006, 08:10 PM
so wilson we should expect you to show up with a fully built cosy in aprox 3 months?

:lol:

lqdchkn
02-22-2006, 08:27 PM
WORKS says the cams are still like 8 weeks out. :( Think I may have to passon them 'cause I don't wanna wait that long for them.

camdizzle
02-22-2006, 08:58 PM
bryan, did you get your "grill" there also? :lol:

crctslt
02-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Why $3300 for a crank? Why not just use a Gaylant crank? Maybe it's the rod/stroke ratio at 94 vs. 100mm?

wilson1
02-23-2006, 01:06 AM
it's a billet crank.

VOD
02-23-2006, 01:20 AM
gezus thats expensive stuff lol

EFIxMR
02-23-2006, 02:28 AM
in my opinion a 100mm crank is too much stroke. seems like jun and cosworth agree.

wilson1
02-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Another tidbit!

pistons, bearings & rods tested to 900hp, crank to 1000hp :shock:

earlyapex
02-23-2006, 10:51 AM
in my opinion a 100mm crank is too much stroke. seems like jun and cosworth agree.

Tell that to all the DSMers that have been doing it for years and years and years.

EFIxMR
02-23-2006, 03:12 PM
the quickest of the bunch

shep racing 2.0 liters

ams race car 2.0

jun evo 6 time attack record holder 2.2 94 mm crank

cyber evo 2.2 94 mm crank

i guess if you were a on a budget looking to build a street car to mess around the 100mm crank is ok. but on a max effort build there is definately better combinations out there.

i mean there's people who buy eagle rods, and then there's people who buy carrillos. different strokes for different folks.

there are also mixed reviews on whether or not the 100mm stock crank is even forged. some supposedly are some supposedly arent. caveat emptor. I mean even an eagle rod 100mm stock crank stroker rebuild can easily run someone 6k... so its not like you always get what you pay for...

if my stroker engine cost 6k you better believe its going to have a billet crank and carillo rods.

MarkSAE
02-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Or you can run a 2.0L crank in a 2.4L block and rev to the moon!

earlyapex
02-23-2006, 04:32 PM
i guess if you were a on a budget looking to build a street car to mess around the 100mm crank is ok. but on a max effort build there is definately better combinations out there.

i mean there's people who buy eagle rods, and then there's people who buy carrillos. different strokes for different folks.

there are also mixed reviews on whether or not the 100mm stock crank is even forged. some supposedly are some supposedly arent. caveat emptor. I mean even an eagle rod 100mm stock crank stroker rebuild can easily run someone 6k... so its not like you always get what you pay for...

if my stroker engine cost 6k you better believe its going to have a billet crank and carillo rods.

Ok.. these are all reasons totally different than what you originally said. You said it was too much stroke before.

Nothing about the fastest 4G63's don't use it, 6k stroker motors, etc etc.

If anything, you proved you don't have to dump a billion dollars in a motor to stroke it to go fast with a 4G63.

These aren't hondas.

EFIxMR
02-23-2006, 05:36 PM
you'd have to use a huge turbo on the car to take advantage of it. way bigger than a gt35R.

and probably a head that could flow 300+ cfm.

incidentally here's one that does...

http://www.speedelement.com/forsale/evoengine/cosworth/cosworthflow.jpg

earlyapex
02-23-2006, 06:05 PM
you'd have to out a huge turbo on the car to take advantage of it. way bigger than a gt35R.

Who and what are you replying to?

EFIxMR
02-23-2006, 06:18 PM

Ok.. these are all reasons totally different than what you originally said. You said it was too much stroke before.

Nothing about the fastest 4G63's don't use it, 6k stroker motors, etc etc.

If anything, you proved you don't have to dump a billion dollars in a motor to stroke it to go fast with a 4G63.

These aren't hondas.

Well its obvious that these products are targeted at people who buy the top of the line.

If your main point is that there are cheaper options out there, and that plenty of people buy it... There is no argument from me about that.

But if you are trying to tell me that ultimate performance in terms of power band and longevity, a backyard hybrid motor is better than or equal to an engine combination designed from the ground up by race engineers with a rich history in motorsports that takes in the account all the factors that make a true race engine... Then that is an arguement I can take up with you.

whether or not anyone really needs it is really a personal choice. i don't need an EVO. a $500 hyundai excel can take me from A to B just like an EVO. do i want a hyundai excel, no i don't.

i mean i do see your point. that similar results can be achieved with less money. but the reality of it all is that for some people cost is not the most important factor. not everyone goes by the formula (least amount spent relative to most hp gain = good and smart).

Things aren't as simple as that at all. There are plenty of adages that go against that... Like "buy it right or buy it twice," "you get what you pay for," "pay now or pay later," "quick, reliable, or cheap, pick two," ect... ect...

And again you are right, these aren't Hondas. If they were Honda's they would last in excess of 100,000 miles easily, they would get over 30 mpg, and you would still see many of them on the street because they were built to last...

which is more than i can say about DSM's... you got to be kiddin' yourself if you think that's the most reliable or trouble free cars in the world.

EFIxMR
02-23-2006, 06:19 PM
you'd have to out a huge turbo on the car to take advantage of it. way bigger than a gt35R.

Who and what are you replying to?

marksae's post

earlyapex
02-23-2006, 06:35 PM
And again you are right, these aren't Hondas. If they were Honda's they would last in excess of 100,000 miles easily, they would get over 30 mpg, and you would still see many of them on the street because they were built to last...

I said it isn't a honda because all the people come over to the 4G63 side and think they have to build the motor to make reliable power. Which is totally not true. Big ass balls power yes, but what is that, .0005 of people on this board?

Nothing to do with how many miles you can get out of a car, mpg or any other nonsense you just wrote that has nothing to do with using a 100mm crank or a 94mm crank.

which is more than i can say about DSM's... you got to be kiddin' yourself if you think that's the most reliable or trouble free cars in the world.

When the hell did I say anything about DSM reliablity? Or anything about DSM's other than the history of using galant cranks?

Aren't we talking about EVO's anyway?

StockEVO
02-23-2006, 06:47 PM
You are a fucking idiot. My 1g DSM logged over 200k miles right before I sold it. Made over 330hp to the wheel on pump gas. Netted me an EPA average of 30mpg on highway and 26 city. Way better than my 2000 Si did. So stop using this old lame. "O but Honda's last in excess of 100,000 miles and get 30mpg crap."

And speaking of stroker, what piston are you going to use? How much offset you need to make the rod/stroke ratio happy? What are you going to do about the water pump? Timing marks, and clearance issues, what timing belt and so on.

EFIxMR
02-23-2006, 07:24 PM
well don't group me with "all the people" coming over...

http://www.evolutionmr.net/pics/dyno/400whpevomr.jpg

time attack car, stock motor, gt30R, done in 04' by two honda mechanics/tuners

in terms of the stroker specs...

piston compression height: 33mm

rod length: 150mm

stroke: 94mm

rod to stroke 1.58-1.59

*approx due to metric to standard conversion

water pump, timing belt, ect... stock 4g63

incidentally this is the same rod to stroke as the Honda B18C...

in terms of anyone buying cosworth products on this board... who knows...

but in terms of anyone buying cosworth products in the entire world... you better bet on it.

Cosworth $3,800 sold out on back order.

I'm selling one to a person in the UK who does top speed competitions...
He sure isnt swing a heavy 100mm crank from a truck or family sedan in his motor. He is running a Jun 94mm.

earlyapex
02-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Alright this is quickly turning into a dick swinging contest.

Bmedz has left the building.. :wink:

EFIxMR
02-23-2006, 07:38 PM
hmm, not to call you out or anything... but in terms of contests... i do remember a certain MR touting his 300 whp around everywhere on the web.

:wink:

its all good and fun.

earlyapex
02-23-2006, 07:43 PM
hmm, not to call you out or anything... but in terms of contests... i do remember a certain MR touting his 300 whp around everywhere on the web.

:wink:

its all good and fun.

Yea but in context of course. :)

And my car has stayed in one piece, unlike a certain Forced Fed E...

OH SNAP! :oops: :D

Watch my car blow up next week. :oops:

EFIxMR
02-23-2006, 07:58 PM
The Forced Fed EVO never lost an engine. As far as I'm concerned the reliability of that car is impeccable.

Their Elises... well that's a Toyota Celica engine, and plus I've had nothing to do with those projects whatsoever, except maybe drive (not tune) it on the Gruppe-S dyno once or twice.

earlyapex
02-23-2006, 08:10 PM
The Forced Fed EVO never lost an engine. As far as I'm concerned the reliability of that car is impeccable.

Their Elises... well that's a Toyota Celica engine, and plus I've had nothing to do with those projects whatsoever, except maybe drive (not tune) it on the Gruppe-S dyno once or twice.

C'mon now, you knew I would sling mud with your comment... 8)

Too much nutswinging, too little info... :oops:

crctslt
02-23-2006, 09:33 PM
My position in regards to Galant cranks vs. Cosworth is aimed solely at those who want to run out and buy it because it's the NEW HOTNESS! As others have pointed out a small minority will have the ablities to utilize the potential this product offers. For a nice all around engine for street track etc. a stock galant crank should be way more than enough.

As far as rod/stroke ratio it's all academic to me. You can run a built 2.0 over 9000 rpm but is the rest of the drivetrain going to be able to keep up? I don't think so. Gonna have to build that transmission too.

The 2.3 stroker (4g63 block with 4g64 crank) works well within the stock rev limit.

It all boils down to how much you want to spend and where you want to spend it. 8)

EFIxMR
02-24-2006, 12:57 PM

C'mon now, you knew I would sling mud with your comment... 8)

Too much nutswinging, too little info... :oops:

And who's nuts would i be swinging on? My own? I tuned that car on the dyno.

As far as this stuff being the new bling, for one thing its not something thats seen, secondly this stuff is priced out of reach for poseurs. this stuff is for true enthusiasts who have evaluated if they really need it. Stuff like this is for people looking to break records or win competitions and push the limit.

And even if this wasn't the case, if someone has the money is it such a crime to enjoy owning something nice?

Nothing to do with how many miles you can get out of a car, mpg or any other nonsense you just wrote that has nothing to do with using a 100mm crank or a 94mm crank.

94 vs 100 mm has everything to do with how many miles you can get out of a car. the key point off all this (head, crank, ect) is to mitigate factors that effect reliability while maximizing performance. its not nonsense just because you don't understand it.

earlyapex
02-24-2006, 05:56 PM
And who's nuts would i be swinging on?

actually meant dick swinging, not nut swinging, it was late. :D

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/7955/15qh.gif
OMFG you put Frank Lin in your sig? God, don't even get me started on that nutcase / danger to open-trackers everywhere....

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=410994&postcount=15

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=411044&postcount=21

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=411294&postcount=31

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=411026&postcount=18

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=411022&postcount=17

EFIxMR
02-27-2006, 02:01 AM
I guess the name Frank Lin is infamous.

Personally, I think he is a pretty good driver... I mean you got to be... to not eat sh*t after something like that happens.

Also, people constantly take pics or brag about how they got a little air or one wheel off the ground... just cuz its Frank Lin this time... or a Honda... Do we all need to throw stones, just because the guy was having a bit of fun?

In the EVOM shootout he drove my bone stock MR and beat 1/3 of the tuner field. I wonder how he would do now that I have 100 more hp.

1 Robert Fuller 1:24.332 Buschur-RRE-Mullerized
2 Kent Jordan 1:25.200 Muellerized-RRE
3 Mark McComsey 1:25.210 EOC-Quantum Racing-Muellerized-RRE
4 Dieter Heinz-Kijjora 1:26.220 Group 5 Motorsports-Muellerized-RRE
5 Ricky Rogers 1:26.238 Muellerized-RRE-4G63.com
6 Emile Bouret 1:26.333 Sparco-Muellerized
7 Paul Lambert 1:26.391 ForcedFed
8 Robert Tallini 1:28.285 RRE
9 Lawrence Yip 1:28.410 A-Spec
10 Frank Lin 1:29.348 TOYO TIRES/VOLK RACING
11 Corey Taguchi 1:33.211 B&M Racing / Drift Speed
12 Peter Beck 1:33.278 Symbolic Motors
13 Abbas Nazari 1:33.737 Team D Motorsports
14 Sammy Alinaeem 1:36.428 Race Centric
15 Mohammad Abuqartuni 1:38.800 SuperStreet Cars

hagakure
02-27-2006, 09:18 AM

Personally, I think he is a pretty good driver... I mean you got to be... to not eat sh*t after something like that happens.

Also, people constantly take pics or brag about how they got a little air or one wheel off the ground... just cuz its Frank Lin this time... or a Honda... Do we all need to throw stones, just because the guy was having a bit of fun?

In the EVOM shootout he drove my bone stock MR and beat 1/3 of the tuner field. I wonder how he would do now that I have 100 more hp.

I'm with Bryan on this...driving skills or not, the guy is a dipshit, and I would not want to be on the track with him.

dohcvtec
02-27-2006, 10:30 AM

I've known Frank for quite a few years. He was actually my first instructor with NASA many years ago. I also know him through Dan and the rest of Rcrew. He is a decent guy in person. I've only shared the track with him 2 times. The second time was my last trip to Buttonwillow. He appeared to be a safe driver when I was with him. I have read all the shit slinging on every board known to man about him. I must say his internet presense is not good at all. He does not handle himself well. I guess the one antic of his I really disagree with is his 1st spec miata race where he totalled the car he was driving and the persons that T boned him. I listened to both sides of the story and still feel he should have not taken the side he did. Hell, the car he was driving did not even belong to him. Apparantly NASA felt the same way and yanked his provisional license for that incident. In my personal experience though, Frank has been a good guy. I thought he was a great instructor that first track day. Very communicative about how to drive and how to be safe. I think Frank just needs to stick to cleaning his act up and just stay away from any internet forums. They seem to do more harm than good for him.

hagakure
02-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Good to hear another perspective.

smack
02-27-2006, 11:40 AM
i have to say that frank is also an audi instructor and i'm on the track with him every event
and have never had a single issue. never even had him not point me by(which i can't say for all the instructors).
not sure what has happened in the past at other events but as for my own experiences he has been fine and seems like a cool guy to me.

i know that he was trying to get pics like the ones in the sig at our jan. audi event.
that isn't his standard driving style(at least with audi) :lol:

EFIxMR
02-27-2006, 07:34 PM
I've known Frank for many years, if the stuff that people say about him were true, I would not let him take my brand new car to a time attack event.

Fact is... People at the track crash cars. It happens, it is an unfortunate part of the sport. I can think of a lot of cars that have rolled at thunder hill.

And while its easy to point fingers at a stranger (not to say anyone on this board does this) and say things like, "There goes Darwin..." Or whatever the new kool internet catch phrase of the month is, I think its a bit insensitive to your fellow enthusiast considering an accident at the track whether your fault or not can happen to anyone.

Just think of what poor taste that would be if someone wrote that about any of the EVO's who have rolled at TH. When all those guys were trying to do is have a bit of fun too.

I can also think of many well known professional race drivers who have totalled a car either in competition or in time trials. Sometimes that is the result of pushing harder and faster.

So I think its wrong to ostricize Frank because of that Miata incident. That car wasn't his but he paid the crash deposit, and that is the risk associated in racecar rentals.

Frank did close to 100 HPDE events in 1 year alone, so that is plenty opportunity for something to happen if he were the boogy man internet elitist make him out to be, but nothing happened.

dohcvtec
02-27-2006, 07:47 PM
Andy,
I agree, which is why I criticize him for that incident. He put full blame on the other driver and said he had absolutly no fault in it. I'm still friends with Frank, I think he's a good guy in most cases.

EFIxMR
02-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Understood. On the Miata incident I don't remember the full details, so you are well within bounds to come to those conclusions. So I need to clarify myself as my comments were addressing what was written on corner carvers.

earlyapex
02-27-2006, 07:56 PM
So I need to clarify myself as my comments were addressing what was written on corner carvers.

Then post there? :?

evo_dadi
02-27-2006, 08:21 PM
dang!! this thing turned from cosworth stuff to track antics :lol:

smack
02-27-2006, 08:31 PM
i hear if you get one of those cosworth heads you'll crash your miata on your 100th track day :shock: :lol:

vtluu
02-27-2006, 09:09 PM
i hear if you get one of those cosworth heads you'll crash your miata on your 100th track day :shock: :lol:
Whew, then I can get one and not have to worry for another 80 track days. :lol:

dohcvtec
02-27-2006, 09:18 PM
LOL.

I'm seriously laughing out loud. :lol:

EFIxMR
02-27-2006, 09:35 PM
So I need to clarify myself as my comments were addressing what was written on corner carvers.

Then post there? :?

:roll: who's the one who linked the forum in the first place, and took it off topic? you know the let's bash Frank Lin club resides in the Honda-Tech autox/road race forum...

Maybe you should post there?

camdizzle
02-27-2006, 09:39 PM
umm.....where is this thread going?

i dont think its about cosworth anymore :lol:

lqdchkn
02-27-2006, 10:27 PM
umm.....where is this thread going?

i dont think its about cosworth anymore :lol:

LOL :lol: +1

earlyapex
02-27-2006, 10:47 PM

Well then you could sell the cosworth head and buy a whole miata. :lol:

kataklyzm
02-27-2006, 11:04 PM
It all boils down to how much you want to spend and where you want to spend it. 8)

there ya go. end of discussion :P

but really, if i had hella money just sitting around the house i would buy the cosworth crank, mainly for the name, i admit. but i dont, so i will pillage a galant when i am ready to do the stroker kit