PDA

View Full Version : Spring Compressors

jrnot
02-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Anyone have to lend to me?

THX

lqdchkn
02-22-2006, 08:33 PM
If no1 has them for you to borrow, you can rent them from Kragen or Autozone. :wink:

SouthBayGSR
02-22-2006, 08:35 PM
go to autozone, they wont even charge you

vtluu
02-22-2006, 08:57 PM
$12 Harbor Freight spring compressor (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3980) FTW!

I used these to change the shocks on my Miata; worked just fine. Impact wrench greatly speeds up the compressing/decompressing process.

byt
02-22-2006, 09:08 PM
$12 Harbor Freight spring compressor (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3980) FTW!

I used these to change the shocks on my Miata; worked just fine. Impact wrench greatly speeds up the compressing/decompressing process.

Harbor Freight FTL when they fail on you. Which is exactly what happened to mine the third time i used them. :oops:

MitsuMan
02-22-2006, 09:24 PM
what are you needing them for? you don't need to use to install lowering springs on the evo. Just ask BigEd925 he sat and watched me put his springs in with just my two hands and an inpact gun with a socket. very easy and anyone can do it. :wink:

vtluu
02-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Harbor Freight FTL when they fail on you. Which is exactly what happened to mine the third time i used them. :oops:
:shock: Yeah they do look a bit sketchy. Which was why I made a point to keep the spring pointed away from me and anything else I cared about while compressing them. Which part snapped?

jrnot
02-22-2006, 11:06 PM
what are you needing them for? you don't need to use to install lowering springs on the evo. Just ask BigEd925 he sat and watched me put his springs in with just my two hands and an inpact gun with a socket. very easy and anyone can do it. :wink:

I am putting some eibach pro kits on. I won't need to compress them?

jrnot
02-22-2006, 11:08 PM
go to autozone, they wont even charge you

Sounds good to me. I was quoted 350 to install them. I don't think so. I would rather borrow or rent one and do the install myself. Then pay the bucks for a good alignment.

vtluu
02-22-2006, 11:15 PM
I am putting some eibach pro kits on. I won't need to compress them?
You will. It seems Mitsuman has some special technique, and maybe he knows what he's doing, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Damanc
05-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Does the car have to be re aligned after installing lowering springs?

SpinOne05
05-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Of course.

PANGES
05-18-2006, 12:29 PM
you can use the rediculously ghetto methond and put your strut between two tires, hide behind the couch, and push the trigger on your impact gun with a broom and just let it shoot out... haha. It's works, I've done it, but i'd HIGHLY NOT RECOMMEND IT.

smack
05-18-2006, 08:39 PM
actually you can just undo the top strut nut with the car on the ground and when you lift it the assembly will come apart.
putting the new springs don't take any compression since they're shorter. i've used this method on every car i've owned that i just used springs on

ps. i do have spring compressors though :)

MarkSAE
05-18-2006, 10:13 PM
actually you can just undo the top strut nut with the car on the ground and when you lift it the assembly will come apart.
putting the new springs don't take any compression since they're shorter. i've used this method on every car i've owned that i just used springs on

ps. i do have spring compressors though :)

That method is a little more difficult to do on cars w/ pillow ball upper mounts. ;)

EV0LL
05-18-2006, 10:22 PM

Actually, thats not necessarily true. I had to use spring compressors to get my works springs back on. I would say if you do not need spring compressors to get the springs back on then thats a good sign the springs are going to be too low (altho my works springs are damm low anyhow :-/ )

smack
05-19-2006, 10:21 AM
Actually, thats not necessarily true. I had to use spring compressors to get my works springs back on. I would say if you do not need spring compressors to get the springs back on then thats a good sign the springs are going to be too low (altho my works springs are damm low anyhow :-/ )

and that's not necessarily true since pretty much every lowered spring available has a higher spring rate than stock.
a spring can be shorter and still have a higher ride height since it won't compress as much as stock under load.

obviously that's not the point of a lowering spring but it's definitely possible.

but you're right, "usually" would have be the correct term. i was just going by the few springs i have bought for past cars(evo included).
h&r mainly.

smack
05-19-2006, 10:26 AM
That method is a little more difficult to do on cars w/ pillow ball upper mounts. ;)

yeah but if you care enough about pillowball mounts then you're past just lowering with springs anyway in my opinion.
hell cusco camberplates cost more than springs and usually people go to springs to save money over paying for coilovers.
so if you're trying to save some $ you aren't buying mounts :)

MitsuMan
06-08-2006, 11:47 PM
where's southbayGSR at he'll tell you about my pushing real had while somebody starts the nut spring install skills