PDA

View Full Version : Mild suspensions upgrades?

pguagenti
02-24-2006, 11:57 AM
So, for those of you that track/auto-x your evo, any tips on mild suspension upgrades? I'm looking to generally improve the handling of the car for driving schools and for aggressive street driving without killing the ride on the street. My usual plan would be:

- stiffen the car up with braces (rear strut brace? Works Croxx plate?)
- lessen body roll, improve balance (aftermarket springs, shocks?)
- fine tune balance with bars (rear sway bar?)

My thoughts have been to pick up the croxx plate, a rear shock tower brace (which one?), and a Hotchkis rear bar. Anyone also try adding just aftermarket springs? I have not been looking at coilovers as I haven't wanted to slam the car to the ground or rattle my teeth out on the street. I know the value of them -- I have Bilstein GroupN's with 700+lb springs on my M3. ;-)

So, any suggestions from you track junkies?

dohcvtec
02-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Some decent coilovers and a rear sway bar would do wonders. I don't think the croxx plate nor the rear tower bar is all that necessary, you'll see very minimal gains. I think earlyapex says the daily driveability on his Apexi N1 coilovers are pretty good. I would say get those and an RRE rear sway bar and you're set.

redvolution
02-24-2006, 12:25 PM
I agree with dohcvtec re: using the RRE sway bar rather than Hotchkis bar for the following reason: the RRE sway bar has stops that prevent it from sliding back and forth (quicker response and won't dispense its grease).

I will disagree on the Croxx plate and rear strut tower bar. It won't be as significant as the rear anti-sway bar but keeping the car as stiff as possible never hurts. The croxx plate also has other benefits: I dropped a bolt in the engine bay and lost it. On the way to the hardware store I heard the bolt fall on the Croxx plate. I pulled over immediately and found the bolt on the road!

As for suspension...all I can I say is that I love the Ohlins R&Ts but they're $$$.

ZK
02-24-2006, 12:26 PM
If you're not looking at coilovers, a set of lowering springs works pretty good. I've heard good stuff about the Works Ride springs as well as Espelir ASD and Swift springs. With a bigger rear sway bar it will make a big difference.

I don't think a rear strut tower bar will make a difference at all.

MitsuMan
02-24-2006, 12:42 PM
cusco
rear strut bar w/v-brace
front strut bar but the stock one is fine just heavy
trunk bar
front lower arm bars 1&2
front /rear sway bars
spings? if you want to lower it I have tanabe sustecs
I'd keep the stock struts, they are really well designed for the car/street
thats my set up but I have a street car not a trackattack car

Bryan? Tam? your next.

pguagenti
02-24-2006, 12:43 PM
I will disagree on the Croxx plate and rear strut tower bar. It won't be as significant as the rear anti-sway bar but keeping the car as stiff as possible never hurts. The croxx plate also has other benefits: I dropped a bolt in the engine bay and lost it. On the way to the hardware store I heard the bolt fall on the Croxx plate. I pulled over immediately and found the bolt on the road!.

LOL! The unintended uses of performance parts. I have an aluminum undertray under the nose of my M3 that does the same thing. Also a good place for boiled-over power steering fluid to pool. ;-)

The bracing has a huge impact on the transitional handling of a car, although I would argue that it probably comes more into play when the suspension is tightened up. When the car 'takes a set' in a corner, what's happening is the slack is coming out of the tires, the springs/shocks, the suspension bushings, and then the chassis. Any additional bracing lets the suspension work better. Someone else summarized the rear brace well, too -- it's not about the towers compressing inwards (which is good, as it gives you additional camber), but about the loaded wheel making the tower stretch outward and hence making the tire go positive camber.

I still think I'll stick with lowering springs until I get to the point of where I want coilovers (which will inevitably happen). Then I'll spend the bucks on Ohlins.

evo_dadi
02-24-2006, 01:18 PM
*shameless plug* im selling my old set up which consisted of tanabe gf210 and tein camber plates on stock struts :wink: :lol:

evo637
02-24-2006, 01:35 PM
I will disagree on the Croxx plate and rear strut tower bar. It won't be as significant as the rear anti-sway bar but keeping the car as stiff as possible never hurts. The croxx plate also has other benefits: I dropped a bolt in the engine bay and lost it. On the way to the hardware store I heard the bolt fall on the Croxx plate. I pulled over immediately and found the bolt on the road!.

LOL! The unintended uses of performance parts. I have an aluminum undertray under the nose of my M3 that does the same thing. Also a good place for boiled-over power steering fluid to pool. ;-)

The bracing has a huge impact on the transitional handling of a car, although I would argue that it probably comes more into play when the suspension is tightened up. When the car 'takes a set' in a corner, what's happening is the slack is coming out of the tires, the springs/shocks, the suspension bushings, and then the chassis. Any additional bracing lets the suspension work better. Someone else summarized the rear brace well, too -- it's not about the towers compressing inwards (which is good, as it gives you additional camber), but about the loaded wheel making the tower stretch outward and hence making the tire go positive camber.

I still think I'll stick with lowering springs until I get to the point of where I want coilovers (which will inevitably happen). Then I'll spend the bucks on Ohlins.

Why not just get the coilovers. Your eventually going to get them why not get them now. In the long run you'll save money and time. This is the same situation I went through last year.

dohcvtec
02-24-2006, 01:36 PM
I thought this was for Mild suspension? I still stand by my statement above, all the other parts are really unessesary.

Jamie@WORKS
02-24-2006, 01:51 PM
Have you considered the WORKS/Ohlins Sport Suspension?

http://www.worksevo.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=292

Evo442
02-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Just my opinion but if you are only going to track the car a few times a year, I'd go with a good set of lowering springs and a 25-27mm rear sway bar. I agree with dohcvtec, Works Croxx plate, strut tower bars etc are of minimal, minimal value, unless you are doing more than just a "mild" setup.

the apexi coilovers that earlyapex likes are around $1300, you can get a set of lowering springs and rear swaybar for under $500.

What are your plans for the evo?

In another shameless plug, I am selling my 03 suspension w/ Espelir GT springs... PM me if interested.

Good luck! :D

pguagenti
02-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Have you considered the WORKS/Ohlins Sport Suspension?
http://www.worksevo.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=292

Nice. Are you guys specifiying valving to match the springs? Have any real testing of this vs. stock (like skidpad numbers, lap times, etc.)?

-p

vtluu
02-24-2006, 04:44 PM
I don't think the Ohlins need to be revalved unless you're running spring rates way too high for "comfortable" street use anyway; my Ohlins Road+Tracks max out on valving for spring rates around 700 lbs/inch.

My recommendation would be a rear swaybar, maybe something like the WORKS Ride (http://www.worksevo.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=71) springs, and most of all a decent alignment--max out front negative camber, go with 1-1.2 negative in the back, straight toe all around. The alignment alone will produce a substantial change in the way the car drives.

I think you'd be surprised at what the car can do even in near-stock form; how it's driven makes all the difference.

If you're autocrossing, you may want to consider what the classing rules allow.

RSpilot
02-25-2006, 12:13 AM
don't even bother w/ shorter springs for the stock dampers...the stock setup works killer if driven appropriately(I've smoked guys w/ the ohlins r&t's while on stock suspension and a works rear bar). That being said...my works/zeal function x coilovers actually have a smoother ride than stock at legal speeds while having the ability to keep the car flatter through the corners. Just don't go crazy w/the spring rates :roll:
If you don't want to redundantly spend money just get a rear bar for now and an aggressive alignment and you'll probably be happy :) .

BigEd925
02-25-2006, 12:33 AM
Havn't tracked my car yet but James installed the works ride springs and the ride isnt much stiffer then stock. The drop is even and I love em.

pguagenti
02-25-2006, 10:46 AM
don't even bother w/ shorter springs for the stock dampers...the stock setup works killer if driven appropriately
<snip>
If you don't want to redundantly spend money just get a rear bar for now and an aggressive alignment and you'll probably be happy :) .

I agree about the stock set-up -- you can definitely be very quick if you're smooth on the steering and be patient with the body roll, but boy is it more fun when you've got very little roll and can just push the car.

I've decided to start with a rear bar, poly suspension bushings, some additional bracing, and a good alignment. I've also got some 18x9's with 245's sitting in my garage ready to go on the car. I'll post my back-to-back impressions, and maybe even some cornering G's if I can figure out how to temporarily wire the data acq from my race car to the Evo. ;-)

jrnot
02-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Add some Eibach pro kits to smooth out the ride and help the center of gravity, and you will be good.

don't even bother w/ shorter springs for the stock dampers...the stock setup works killer if driven appropriately
<snip>

I agree about the stock set-up -- you can definitely be very quick if you're smooth on the steering and be patient with the body roll, but boy is it more fun when you've got very little roll and can just push the car.

I've decided to start with a rear bar, poly suspension bushings, some additional bracing, and a good alignment. I've also got some 18x9's with 245's sitting in my garage ready to go on the car. I'll post my back-to-back impressions, and maybe even some cornering G's if I can figure out how to temporarily wire the data acq from my race car to the Evo. ;-)