PDA

View Full Version : Requested photos of painted muffler

earlyapex
02-24-2006, 06:34 PM
I have been asked a couple times to show photos of my "Stealthified" muffler so I finally got off my ass and took some photos:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/painted_muffler/painted_catback04.jpg

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/painted_muffler/painted_catback02.jpg

and with a photo lightened up so you can actually see the muffler: (the first photo above is a more accurate depiction of how stealth it actually is.)

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/painted_muffler/painted_catback01.jpg

Its a Vishnu Signature series catback (magnaflow muffler) that I sanded down, then painted with hi-temp flat-black ceramic paint. I also sanded down the tip so it now looks more like brushed aluminum than shiny bling it was before.

Keep in mind I am sitting on the ground to take these photos so from actual walking or car height you can't see any of the piping and hangers.

Paint is holding up great, it's been like this for months and a couple track events and all the rain and it still looks like the day I painted it.

dohcvtec
02-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Ooooh, thats purty. That garage floor looks familiar... hmm... :lol:

wilson1
02-24-2006, 07:16 PM
looks liked stock!

Option2
02-24-2006, 09:43 PM
Nice! Looks like another project to take on for me. 8)

L8eight
03-01-2006, 05:41 PM
that looks great, i did the same with some bbq paint to my JIC Ti when i had the wrx, i bought the muffler off of a buddy of mine who failed at torching the whole thing blue, so i painted the parts of that were messed up but left the factory ti tip blue.

here is a bad pic but anyhow here it is...

http://www.licmotorsports.com/images/customergallery/DSCN0085.JPG[/img]

MitsuMan
03-02-2006, 11:36 PM
yep it looks like and after market painted muff allright If I was a cop I'd still bust you for it the piping is still shiny

methods4
03-03-2006, 12:22 AM
....That garage floor looks familiar... hmm... :lol:

You dirty sluts. Take it to PM. Thank you.

-Management

earlyapex
03-03-2006, 12:40 AM
yep it looks like and after market painted muff allright If I was a cop I'd still bust you for it the piping is still shiny

That's my swaybar dumbass and its silver, not shiny. Cops drive around on gokarts low enough to see that?

Keep in mind I am sitting on the ground to take these photos so from actual walking or car height you can't see any of the piping and hangers.

XVeloX
03-03-2006, 12:59 AM

That's my swaybar dumbass and its silver, not shiny. Cops drive around on gokarts low enough to see that?

LMAO...

+1

mtsevovii
03-03-2006, 07:24 AM
Awsome stealth technology Bryan. :thumbsup:

MitsuMan
03-05-2006, 03:04 PM
nope I still see the pipe and you dumb ass sway bar

Evo8andahalf
03-05-2006, 03:16 PM

its not even shiny it looks like the stock pipe..

SouthernCrane
03-05-2006, 03:32 PM
i always thought the Vishnu signature series exhaust was fairly stealthy already, but with that paint it looks almost stock :) When are you putting that harness(?) bar i see there?

earlyapex
03-05-2006, 04:41 PM

earlyapex
03-05-2006, 04:42 PM
When are you putting that harness(?) bar i see there?

Autopower rollbar. Next week.. :wink:

Matz
08-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Bryan, can you please specify which brand of high-temp ceramic paint you used? Can you tell me where you got it? I'm thinking that this will be my next week-long project. :) Take the exhaust off Friday evening, start sanding... more sanding Saturday, clean and paint Sunday, reinstall Monday night. :) Wonder if it's worth doing my midpipe, too...

UCB
08-16-2006, 08:10 AM
lol, you really dont need to sand for 2 days. You just need to scuff up the surface enough so the paint will stick well :P.

KareBearPowa
08-16-2006, 08:12 AM
I can check tonight but I believe it was plastikote engine high temp paint matte black. I bought it at kragen. You don't have to sand the thing all crazy, just scuff it up well, and get all the knook and crannies and you will be good. Just make sure to clean it really well.

Matz
08-16-2006, 08:16 AM
lol, you really dont need to sand for 2 days. You just need to scuff up the surface enough so the paint will stick well :P.

hehe. I'm anticipating that I'll have less than one hour each day to work on this, so that's why I split up the sanding steps... but we'll see! I may also try to find a place to bead blast the exhaust, because I want to remove the shine from the tip without totally making it look like crap (and hopefully not lose the nice WORKS laser engraving).

Matz
08-16-2006, 08:16 AM
I can check tonight but I believe it was plastikote engine high temp paint matte black. I bought it at kragen. You don't have to sand the thing all crazy, just scuff it up well, and get all the knook and crannies and you will be good. Just make sure to clean it really well.

Cool, thank you!

Liquid-R1
08-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Dave, check out Rust-Oleum... I've always had good luck with them...

06IXMR
08-16-2006, 09:04 AM
bead blasting sound like a good idea too haha.

UCB
10-03-2006, 01:04 PM
I bought the vishnu exhaust, will be copying you Bryan :lol:

Hopefully since my car is GG, it will blend in with the bumper line even more, will also try to modify the hangers so it tucks up under the bumper a bit more

KareBearPowa
10-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Nice. I love mine.

UCB
10-03-2006, 01:39 PM
werd, I love my stromung single tip, so this was similar and cheaper than a custom tig'd axel back with magnaflow muffler. I may add an addionational 18" long resonator if its too loud for my taste

PANGES
10-03-2006, 03:51 PM
haha, since i've bought my Tanabe Touring Medallian, I've been looking at my old Helix catback in my room and debating if I should paint it also. Maybe I will since my friend intends to do the same to his HKS hi power on his wrx.

chris
10-05-2006, 08:54 AM
nice pics bryan. definately can't go wrong with DIY stealth.

PANGES
10-05-2006, 08:59 AM
I just painted my Helix catback last night... I left the midpipe, but painted the axle back section. It came out alot cleaner than I expected. I'll take pics once I put it on the car this weekend.

evo8dustu
10-05-2006, 09:23 AM
just picked up a helix too. was thinking about painting it. look forward to your pics!

PANGES
10-05-2006, 09:29 AM
lol now what the hell do I do with the Tanabe touring medallion.. another spare exhaust that's going to sit in my garage. Maybe I'll hang it up in my room.. lol. it's still clean because it's only been on my car for like a week. I might paint the tanabe too... just paint the piping and muffler, but leave the tip chrome.

evo8dustu
10-05-2006, 09:34 AM
on the helix, did u paint the tip as well?

PANGES
10-05-2006, 09:41 AM
on the helix, did u paint the tip as well?

yep. Painted the entire axle back... It came out surprisingly well. I personally think it looks great... let just see how long that lasts, because sooner or later, the rocks from the floor will probally chip the paint off.

UCB
10-05-2006, 10:00 AM
I painted my stromung axel back flat black on my STi, it saw a ton of road grime going up and down to tahoe and it held up great. I used BBQ paint :lol:

PANGES
10-05-2006, 10:04 AM
lol. I used high temp engine paint... funny thing is... i used the engine paint on my bbq.

warpspeed
10-05-2006, 10:46 AM
You have to remember that this is only good if your aftermarket exhaust looks stock to begin with and not the JDM (angled out style). Cops are not that dumb. They know that no factory stock muffler angles out.

PANGES
10-05-2006, 10:54 AM
You have to remember that this is only good if your aftermarket exhaust looks stock to begin with and not the JDM (angled out style). Cops are not that dumb. They know that no factory stock muffler angles out.

Was'nt intending this so much for a "stealthy look" but more for a "I think it'd look nice look"/ I was bored, had some sand paper, an exhaust laying around, and a couple cans of high temp engine paint. hehe.

dohcvtec
10-06-2006, 03:45 PM
I'd like to see how it turned out, post up pics when its on the car!

UCB
10-06-2006, 04:09 PM

true..but if its all shiny, its a lot easier to see