PDA

View Full Version : Lockdown?

methods4
03-30-2004, 02:17 PM
I've had like 3 threads that I've replied to locked. The first two were understandable since I did kinda flame someone for streetracing (unsafely). There was another thread about Sac Raceway that had flame "potential" that got locked. I am new to this forum and didn't know that some light and or "potential" flaming would get threads locked. Most forums I'm on get threads locked once there has actually been a flame.

This one I'm not sure I understand though:

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=753

Every single thread in this forum has a flame potential. Why lock a thread before any flames are even started? In that thread I explained what happened to me in that situation and bit my tongue on any flames. Yet it still got locked. He could've received more about the situation he is in or constructive criticism. I may be on my own with this one but anyone else think that one was locked prematurely?

Oh and IBTL. :wink:

vtluu
03-30-2004, 02:40 PM
I certainly don't want to appear heavy-handed and I'm sure the other mods feel the same way. In each case it was a different moderator who locked the thread, so if there's a conspiracy against you it's a collective one. :) Nah, I think it's just none of us mods want to see things get ugly. I know that in the couple of threads I saw heading into the dirt, I didn't see everybody suddenly kissing and making up as a likely scenario.

If you like flame wars, try that other Evo website (http://www.evolutionm.net/). ;)

Locking this thread! Hahah, just kidding. :P

methods4
03-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Nope, I don't like flame wars at all. Doesn't do any good. But locking it before it even gets to that point is a new concept to me. The last thread for instance could've had more information posted but I think it got locked prematurely. I even held all flames to myself on that one but it didn't help. I'm cursed mang! Either that or there is a conspiracy. :shock:

I'm not going to start posting on EvoM. I think I'll just get used to this. :wink:

BluEvo
03-30-2004, 03:14 PM
the mods are just trying to keep it cool here. thats why i'm here. the, so called "other evo site" that vtluu mentioned is where i started browsing until it went into flaming everything you posted, good or bad?! we try to uphold a positive atmosphere here. yes, we do have the right to our own opinions, but most times, to try and help not hate. :wink:
:peace:

uhoh_evo
03-30-2004, 03:23 PM
...but I think it got locked prematurely. I even held all flames to myself on that one but it didn't help.
also not trying to come down on you or anything, but as you said, it was locked "prematurely." showing it could've very well been a "potential flame." And eventhough you had withheld any flaming, it implies that you did have something to say or could have been said. just like the saying goes, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

anyways, i think the mods are doing a good job because why wait for it to get all bad when they can prevent that by locking up the topic "prematurely?" If that's not the case then i can strongly say there is a conspiracy against you. like i've said before "they're everywhere!" :paranoid:

vtluu
03-30-2004, 03:56 PM
I certainly support everybody's right to voice their opinion--and criticism--here but I'll also add that a small measure of tact may help keep discussions constructive. Some of us sometimes take an inflammatory tone (albeit inadvertently sometimes) and some of us are easily provoked. Combine the two and things can go KABOOM pretty quickly. :)

methods4
03-30-2004, 04:17 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean "prematurely" as in I knew it was going to turn into a flamefest. I meant it as in there wasn't really a threat and that it shouldn't have been locked at all. There could've been more informative posts added to that thread.

Yes, I kept all un-nice comments to myself on that thread. All I did was tell the guy what he potentially may face from his ticket. I am playing nice from now on.

I'm not saying that mods shouldn't lock flamewar threads, I'm just saying that they were a *little* too quick on this one.

And dammit, there *is* a conspiracy against me! :wink:

warpspeed
03-30-2004, 05:08 PM
I went back and re-read all the replies on that thread. It is up to the discretion of the Mods if it should be "locked" or not. On that particular thread, I think it should have been open for awhile. You see, it depends on what you type down and the way you say it in person. Let me explain. You can type one thing and "say" the exact same thing and get a different response. When you "say" something in person to someone, you have your body language and facial expression and you can have it turn a statement into a "joke like" saying. But if you "type" it down without using any smilies(Emoticons) then that same statement can be taken very seriously and "flaming" can start. So next time, don't forget any smilies if you mean to say it in a "jokingly" way. But as before the Mods has a final say. All the members here don't want this do become like the "other" site where it's all "flaming" wars.

vtluu
03-30-2004, 05:25 PM
What most of you didn't see is some nasty name-calling that started; I edited it out so that I could leave the thread unlocked. I guess another of moderators saw the same thing and decided to lock the thread--independently of my decision. I suppose we could debate whether I did the right thing, he did, or we both should have done something else (or nothing). Sometimes it's impossible to make a decision with which everybody will agree. :shrug:

warpspeed
03-30-2004, 05:35 PM
Maybe the Mods. should pm each other when one feels a thread should be locked. :). Also give warnings out to possible flaming :brawl: . Just a suggestions guys. You guys are doing a great job.

nebolic
03-30-2004, 06:12 PM
okie heres my 2 cents into this one since I locked the thread. The way I see it, a moderators job just like supposedly police work is to "prevent" the crime from happening, and in our cases "prevent" potential flame. The difference between this Evo site and "other evo site" simply is this... we are a collective group of individuals who actually have met each other, so in this sense we are a closer knit group. Now that being said, I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, but the thread was not locked due to Methods4 comments alone... what I saw was a strong rebuttal statement (if the posts has been edited you probably won't be able to guess who wrote it) that potentionally can lead to some flaming. I know that my opinions are a bit more conservative however, I really want to keep the atmosphere on the boards as "friendly" as possible and I do not even want any "bad words" or possible "mis-interpreted" words to come out, thus I lock things "prematurely" If I wait until the flame starts, to me that is the same thing as a police officer standing there waiting for a criminal to shoot his gun at an innocent bystander before he does anything, i think we all feel that in that scenario the police officer should take some action before the criminal opens fire. Same philosphy for me when i mod the posts.

In any case, I am open to suggestions, if you guys feel wronged or unjust in the way things are going, you can feel free to PM me or leave a post on the site feedback section.

Remember that most of us have actually met with each other, so we are a much friendlier site.

If I offended anyone, I apologize, but the intentions of my locked thread is prevention.

Thanks,
Nebo

evo_dadi
03-30-2004, 08:41 PM
ok too much things going on here,this thread is now LOCKED

j/k guys,like what warpspeed said try using emoticons also so the post that you made wont look hostile or assertive not unless you really know the person already and you guys are just joking with each other.and when we see the thread gets a little dirty thats when we start editing it but sometimes imo thats like censorship but there are other ways where you can reply and all viewers see it as just a regular post not a comeback. as far as locking threads we do this just so that nobody accidentally steps on others toes and things just start flaring up out of proportions thus having more headaches to deal with than just having a nice and freindly atmosphere without worrying of getting flamed for no reason *cough* evom *cough*

hey warpspeed all of us has aim so were always in contact most of the time :computer: :peace:

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

warpspeed
03-30-2004, 08:58 PM
Tam said there were some stuff that he had to edit out so if it was to the extreme, it should be lock in order for it not to go to far. Like I said you guys are doing a great job.

GReddy_917
03-30-2004, 09:53 PM
Once again lets all join hands and sing "Kumbaya."