PDA

View Full Version : K&N drop-in filter VS. Stock Paper filter

earlyapex
02-27-2006, 04:04 PM
K&N drop-in filter = green line
Stock Paper filter = red line

Same stretch of road, same hour. Pulled over and swapped filters. Same exact tune, just swapped the filters

Notice MAS Frequency increases with the K&N, which means there is more airflow. AFR goes leaner because of increased airflow which increases knock, which of course, can be tuned out.

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/kandn_testing/KandNcompare.gif

MAS input (actual value before the ECU + changes it)

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/kandn_testing/KandN-compare-input.gif

Will try to do more testing soon... Thanks to Allen for the testing..

methods4
02-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Wanna do a test with my dirty ass RalliArt filter as well?

dohcvtec
02-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Or my blingin Works filter?

zyounker
02-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Can ecu+ show Charge Temp? I would be interested in what happens when you chop the top off the stock airbox lid... Wonder if it pulls in hotter air.

fmic20g
02-27-2006, 04:27 PM
clean yr air filter you lazy. Use methods5 to clean, and methods6 to test.....oh, sorry, u don't have ECU+......hehe *-)

Actually I did go back to stock filter and did a run, the knock is lower at the same rpm but I did not do a run with the K&N again b/c my EGT probe was having problem.

Now that the probe is fixed, too bad it's raining hard this week, otherwise I will do some runs to see if I can tune the knock down pressumably from the drop in K&N.

ZK
02-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Wow, that's some good data there.

So the K&N = more airflow = good or bad on a untuned (stock) car?

earlyapex
02-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Wow, that's some good data there.

So the K&N = more airflow = good or bad on a untuned (stock) car?

Not sure. A stock car runs a bit richer up top but runs a little leaner mid range which is where most of the knock is happening.

This test car has normal light mods - TBE / FP / ECU+

earlyapex
02-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Can ecu+ show Charge Temp? I would be interested in what happens when you chop the top off the stock airbox lid... Wonder if it pulls in hotter air.

Not with stock sensors, it just shows intake temp at the MAS, which is usually ambient with any amount of airflow.

fmic20g
02-27-2006, 04:40 PM
The knock appeared at 5k rpm which I have no fuel adj.. The knock on the 2nd gear run was 1.88 (w/ K&N) but timing was only pulled 1 degree, no biggie. But I also did a 3rd gear run the next day, knock was at 2.33 at 5K rpm, that pulled timing by a few degree and decreased the hp at high rpms.

So what effects it has on stock car, don't know till one log it. Some rpms can be touchy, like near peak torque (my guess).

fmic20g
02-27-2006, 04:44 PM
correction to earlyapex's post. The test car has no MBC, it is stock boost. ;-) I know b/c the test car is mine. Hahaha....

I have the MBC on b4 and then disconnected it back to stock boost b/c of spike problem in 4th (fuel cut), so earlyapex got confused.

earlyapex
02-27-2006, 05:09 PM
correction to earlyapex's post. The test car has no MBC, it is stock boost. ;-) I know b/c the test car is mine. Hahaha....

I have the MBC on b4 and then disconnected it back to stock boost b/c of spike problem in 4th (fuel cut), so earlyapex got confused.

Fixed. :D

camdizzle
02-27-2006, 07:14 PM
can the ECU+ show HP/TQ?

earlyapex
02-27-2006, 07:20 PM
can the ECU+ show HP/TQ?

Yes, but if we did a HP/TQ comparison in this test, I bet the K&N would show a loss because of the knock. After tuning, it might show a gain.

That might be the next comparison we show. :wink:

camdizzle
02-27-2006, 07:22 PM
how did you think the low end felt on the car?

evo_dadi
02-27-2006, 07:42 PM
bah i just stay with the oem filter since its only about $13 :P :lol:

nightwalker
03-10-2006, 09:43 PM
this doesn't make sense when compared with dyno charts I've seen of the drop in filters (K&N and Works) both showing hp and torque gains. Somebody care to explain to me?

earlyapex
03-11-2006, 02:37 AM
this doesn't make sense when compared with dyno charts I've seen of the drop in filters (K&N and Works) both showing hp and torque gains. Somebody care to explain to me?

What doesn't make sense to you?

gOt BoOsT
03-15-2006, 05:38 PM
i've got a BMC filter you can test...unless someone buys it :wink:

earlyapex
03-15-2006, 06:00 PM
I have my own K&N drop-in filter coming in the next couple days so tests will resume...