PDA

View Full Version : Two Piece Rear Rotor? Who makes it?

AutoRnD
03-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Hey Guys,

Other than PMu and Endless, are there any other affordable two piece rotors available for the OEM rears?

I tried to do a search and was only finding fronts.

Companies like

DBA or Racing Brake or Rotora, etc.....

Thanks a lot guys,

Rishie

vtluu
03-01-2006, 03:16 PM
You could probably piece them together from Wilwood components. (I know some people here aren't big fans of Wilwood.)

Haven't heard of anyone clamoring for 2-piece rear brakes though.

AutoRnD
03-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Well that's a good thing because we are developing them. Any further info you guys can provide would be great. I too have not seen any out on the market.

Our RX8 two piece rotors front and rear will be releasing this month.

thanks vtluu.

Rishie

vtluu
03-01-2006, 03:20 PM
I'll volunteer to test them for you guys... :skid:

Evo442
03-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Girodisk makes 2 piece rear rotors for the evo. I think that only selected pads work with it tho'

AutoRnD
03-01-2006, 03:42 PM
You got a link to them or a dealer of theirs? I'm searching now.

Rishie

earlyapex
03-01-2006, 03:52 PM
http://www.girodisc.com/

http://girodisc.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=197

$700 smackers :shock:

hagakure
03-01-2006, 03:57 PM
You could probably piece them together from Wilwood components. (I know some people here aren't big fans of Wilwood.)

Haven't heard of anyone clamoring for 2-piece rear brakes though.

In my opinion, two-piece rears for the evo are redundent. the heat and wear on the rear of the car is pretty good. It takes me forever to kill a set of rear pads, even witht he car seei ng regular track duty.

earlyapex
03-01-2006, 04:13 PM
In my opinion, two-piece rears for the evo are redundent. the heat and wear on the rear of the car is pretty good. It takes me forever to kill a set of rear pads, even witht he car seei ng regular track duty.

Yup, would look good on show cars though. :wink:

AutoRnD
03-01-2006, 04:17 PM
I would assume the only real benefit would be weight savings which can equate to more wheel power.

Rishie

vtluu
03-01-2006, 04:19 PM
I would assume the only real benefit would be weight savings which can equate to more wheel power.
That's what I figure as well. Not high on my list of priorities but for the right price, I wouldn't say no to a set. ;)

AutoRnD
03-01-2006, 04:34 PM
I'll definitely give you the right price. I'll bring you under our wing for products and partial sponsorships.

Rishie

earlyapex
03-01-2006, 05:25 PM
I honestly believe the reason why you don't see alot of 2-p rear rotors is that there isn't a market for them.

They are pretty much useless compared to other things, so the only people that want them are the bling crowd.

Actually now that I rethink it, that is the crowd that spends all their money on worthless stuff. Maybe there is a market. :wink:

methods4
03-01-2006, 05:29 PM
*cough* strut tower bars, crotch plates, grounding kits, VTA BOVs, CF Hoods *cough*

AutoRnD
03-01-2006, 05:58 PM
OK SO NOW FOR THE BIG FAVOR.

ANYONE WHO HAS UPGRADED THEIR STOCK ROTORS TO SLOTTED ONES AND HAS THE OEM ONES LAYING AROUND, FRONT AND REAR BOTH, CAN I PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BORROW THEM. In return I'll gladly provide you with anything i can at my cost. One time deal, so pick your product wisely. hehe.

I need to ship these out so that we can get measurements off them and get rolling on our rotors.

If you do or are willing to come down to Milpitas please send me an email [email protected]. I only need one of each corner. Not the full set of four.

Thanks, Rishie

earlyapex
03-01-2006, 06:01 PM
I only need one of each corner. Not the full set of four.

That would be four. Do you mean 1 of front and 1 of rear?

AutoRnD
03-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Yes, you know what i mean.

1 Front and 1 Rear.

Evo442
03-01-2006, 07:17 PM

ANYONE WHO HAS UPGRADED THEIR STOCK ROTORS TO SLOTTED ONES AND HAS THE OEM ONES LAYING AROUND, FRONT AND REAR BOTH, CAN I PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BORROW THEM. In return I'll gladly provide you with anything i can at my cost. One time deal, so pick your product wisely. hehe.

I need to ship these out so that we can get measurements off them and get rolling on our rotors.

If you do or are willing to come down to Milpitas please send me an email [email protected]. I only need one of each corner. Not the full set of four.

Thanks, Rishie

I've got a set you can borrow. Gonna be in Sac anytime soon?

-david

nebolic
03-01-2006, 07:23 PM

Thanks, Rishie

I've got a set you can borrow. Gonna be in Sac anytime soon?

-david

I'm going to be down in San Jose on March 8th for San Jose State's Career Fair.

I can drop it off for you at Rishie's place if you like.

nebo

AutoRnD
03-01-2006, 07:42 PM
DUDE< that would be soooo awesome. You guys are the best. I'll be here waiting.

Thanks a lot fellas. If you want a set of these rotors i'll give em to you at my cost as a big thanks.

Rishie

nebolic
03-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Evo442, shoot me a pm and a good time to meet up with you this weekend, I live in South Sac so whatever you want to do, just let me know.

Nebo

AutoRnD
03-01-2006, 11:21 PM
I've gotten a couple guys kind enough to help. I'll take anyone up who is AT THE LEAST convenience. I really don't want to put you guys out but will be very gratious and somehow return the favor.

Nebo, we gots to talk about Stance anyway. hehe.

Evo442
03-02-2006, 05:03 AM
Evo442, shoot me a pm and a good time to meet up with you this weekend, I live in South Sac so whatever you want to do, just let me know.

Nebo

U got PM

nebolic
03-02-2006, 11:36 AM
I've gotten a couple guys kind enough to help. I'll take anyone up who is AT THE LEAST convenience. I really don't want to put you guys out but will be very gratious and somehow return the favor.

Nebo, we gots to talk about Stance anyway. hehe.

hehe fa show.

nebo

nebolic
03-02-2006, 11:37 AM

Nebo

U got PM

no pm, you might have sent it to nebo which will not work

full screen name is nebolic :-)

nebo

White Evo MR
03-02-2006, 10:37 PM
I would be glad to see a set of front and rear 2 piece rotors. I know that not a lot of companies offer this since there is no need for aggressive rear stopping power, as mentioned earlier on this thread. But you know what, I'm in for it any time, any day, to reduce sprung and un-sprung weight. Not too much in the wrong places though :P .

I want to know the outcome of this. :twisted:

Evo442
03-03-2006, 04:04 AM

Nebo

U got PM

no pm, you might have sent it to nebo which will not work

full screen name is nebolic :-)

nebo

hmmm... forgot to hit the send button. Thats what I get for posting at 4am!

Now you really got pm!

:D

Evo442
03-03-2006, 04:07 AM
I would be glad to see a set of front and rear 2 piece rotors. I know that not a lot of companies offer this since there is no need for aggressive rear stopping power, as mentioned earlier on this thread. But you know what, I'm in for it any time, any day, to reduce sprung and un-sprung weight. Not too much in the wrong places though :P .

I want to know the outcome of this. :twisted:

2 piece rear rotor with an aluminum hat might be a safety issue which is why few manufacturers produce one. Racing brake was supposed to be making a 2 piece rear rotor for the evo with an iron (or whatever) hat.

http://forums.racingbrake.com/viewtopic.php?t=19&highlight=rear++piece+evo

Evo442
03-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Ok Rishie - Nebo has the rotors and will be bringing them down to you...

Thanks for picking them up, Nebo! :D

Nice 350Z, btw!

AutoRnD
03-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Sweet.

Thanks guys.

Nebo, email me [email protected] so i can plan to be at the office when you come down.

THanks, Rishie

vtluu
03-04-2006, 11:20 AM
2 piece rear rotor with an aluminum hat might be a safety issue which is why few manufacturers produce one. Racing brake was supposed to be making a 2 piece rear rotor for the evo with an iron (or whatever) hat.

http://forums.racingbrake.com/viewtopic.php?t=19&highlight=rear++piece+evo
Ah yeah I keep forgetting about that.

http://www.racingbrake.com/images/evo_with_drum_brake.gif

Hey Rishie, with this diagram, why do you need anybody's rear brakes? :sneaky:

AutoRnD
03-04-2006, 11:52 AM
I'll ship them the rotors just to be safe.

I'll provide updates with any potential engineering issues to resolve any safety concerns people might have with two piece rear rotors.

I already know that they will retail for about

695.00 front and 895.00 rear

I'm waiting to get some technical info on how other two piece rotors have been designed. We used them to engineer rear rotors for the RX8 which are quite complicated. THey have alreayd succesfully produced rear rotors for the STI and 350Z markets.

Rishie

nebolic
03-04-2006, 12:04 PM
yo rishie,

i just picked up the rotors from evo442, i'll drop them off at your place on tuesday or wednesday.

nebo

vtluu
03-04-2006, 12:46 PM
895.00 rear
:yikes:
I think I could achieve the same weight reduction for less money by buying diet pills. :lol:

MarkSAE
03-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Damn! That's the cost of 3 pairs of slotted rotors!

AutoRnD
03-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Yes it is. But two piece rotors aren't cheap anyway, plus the fact you guys use drum ebrake increases the costs considerably. I'm not trying to sell a lot of them, just to the guys who can take use of every saved pound.

Diet pills will make your car faster, but they won't help you your unsprung weight to improve suspension performance. lolz....

Thanks, Rishie

smack
03-04-2006, 02:33 PM
if you're selling to the racing crowd and just the ones that are down to weight trimming,
then you might as well just scrap the e-brake part of the rotor and cut down more weight.

MarkSAE
03-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Or you can use one of these cable actuated calipers for the rear like this brembo kit on an NSX I saw at the track.

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album304/DSC07001.sized.jpg

AutoRnD
03-04-2006, 04:29 PM
It just doesn't seem practical to kill the ebrake function. WE'll need something that can be used for street or "Fast Food" parking lots. lolz.

I've already researched the Brembo aux caliper for the NSX, it's a grand for that kit alone. So that makes it unreasonable as an option. Not to mention you're adding more unsprung weight, which is opposite of what we're trying to acheive.

Rishie

earlyapex
03-05-2006, 05:13 PM

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

So what is going to make the fronts $100 better than PF 2-piece rotors?

And that rear price? bwahha

hagakure
03-05-2006, 05:29 PM

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

So what is going to make the fronts $100 better than PF 2-piece rotors?

And that rear price? bwahha

I'll have to make the same assertion on behalf of the RacingBrake Rotors....695.00 is a LOT for fronts. The rears will NOT sell for 895.00.

Unowned
03-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Man add about $100 and you get Stoptechs for front and that would solve all your brake problems...

earlyapex
03-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Man add about $100 and you get Stoptechs for front and that would solve all your brake problems...

But you wouldn't shave off 2lbs of rotating mass from the rear. :wink: :? That's worth $900 ain't it? :wink:

AutoRnD
03-06-2006, 02:29 AM
From what I can gather

Racingbrake Two piece rotors retail for: almost $800.00
http://www.racingbrake.com/product_p/2018-311-12.htm

Works: $749.00
http://www.worksevo.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=279

Project Mu Two piece rotors retail for: $750.00 a pair
http://mackinindustries.com/md/projectmu/Resources/pricelist_projectmu.pdf

Endless Two Piece rotors retail for: $1130.00 a pair

Once the R&D has been done I'll be able to provide more information and promotional pricing to the first five guys who are interested in front and rear setups.

There are very limited companies offerring the rear rotor so it is difficult to provide a relative comparison.

vtluu
03-06-2006, 03:26 AM
The WORKS 2-piece rotors are on special for $649.

I got the Performance Friction floating rotors from Road Race Engineering, cost $590. I had mine cryo-treated separately at NW Cryogenics for $40.

Matz
03-06-2006, 07:01 AM
*cough* strut tower bars, crotch plates, grounding kits, VTA BOVs, CF Hoods *cough*

Don't hate me cuz I love my strut tower bar. At least it ain't chrome. :D

hagakure
03-06-2006, 09:41 AM
From what I can gather

Racingbrake Two piece rotors retail for: almost $800.00
http://www.racingbrake.com/product_p/2018-311-12.htm

Works: $749.00
http://www.worksevo.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=279

Project Mu Two piece rotors retail for: $750.00 a pair
http://mackinindustries.com/md/projectmu/Resources/pricelist_projectmu.pdf

Endless Two Piece rotors retail for: $1130.00 a pair

Once the R&D has been done I'll be able to provide more information and promotional pricing to the first five guys who are interested in front and rear setups.

There are very limited companies offerring the rear rotor so it is difficult to provide a relative comparison.

RacingBrake 2 piece rotors are 660.00 a set for the front, and are a proven commodity, in autosport and street use.

AutoRnD
03-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Understood, we will also be offerring our rotors below retail price, just like everyone else. Just wanted to point out that the pricing is reasonable.

Rishie

vtluu
03-06-2006, 10:53 AM
It may be something more pricey than what I'm willing to spend--for now--but I'm glad you'll at least be making the option available. :thumbsup:

AutoRnD
03-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Absolutely. Thanks vtluu.

trinydex
05-08-2006, 11:49 AM
racing brake also makes two piece rears. theirs are all iron tho two piece just for expansion but the neat hing is they retain the ebrake drum.

are the works rotors the same as the racing brake ones. they sure look exactly the same.