PDA

View Full Version : Replacing brakes

nut_tool
03-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Sorry, this is for a friend, and I'm not all that knowledgeable when it comes to brakes and rotors. I'm just wondering in general if rotors need to be resurfaced when replacing brake pads? The car is a late model integra that has never had its brakes replaced or rotors touched. Will replacing the pads without touching the rotors cause any problems like early wear or decreased braking?

chrisw
03-02-2006, 03:02 PM
in a nutshell, yes on all questions

vtluu
03-02-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm just wondering in general if rotors need to be resurfaced when replacing brake pads?
Absolutely not. I've gone through over a half-dozen sets of pads on 2 cars in 2 years and I've never needed to get the rotors resurfaced. Just bed the pads in per the manufacturer's recommendations.

chrisw
03-02-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm just wondering in general if rotors need to be resurfaced when replacing brake pads?
Absolutely not. I've gone through over a half-dozen sets of pads on 2 cars in 2 years and I've never needed to get the rotors resurfaced. Just bed the pads in per the manufacturer's recommendations.

It really depends on how the rotors are wearing. If they have any significant grooves, or wavey pattern on the surface where the pad contacts the rotor, then they should be resurfaced. If not, then it will lead to premature pad wear and uneven braking.

The safest bet is if you have any doubt about the rotor, resurface or replace.

nut_tool
03-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. That is what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

dohcvtec
03-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Tell him he can buy brand new front rotors for his integra from autozone for $13.99 each. :)

vtluu
03-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Tell him he can buy brand new front rotors for his integra from autozone for $13.99 each. :)
At that price, I'd just replace them along with the pads, forget resurfacing. :lol:

Steiner
03-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Would taking some 300grit sandpaper to both sides of the rotor for a few minutes to remove excess build-up be sufficient?

vtluu
03-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Would taking some 300grit sandpaper to both sides of the rotor for a few minutes to remove excess build-up be sufficient?
You couldn't really sand the rotor evenly enough by hand. But as I said, I've been to almost 20 track days, 60+ autocrosses and have never needed to resurface my rotors. Uneven pad material deposition usually just wears off by itself after a few days of regular driving. Unless you've got some brake judder that won't go away, some pretty deep grooves in your rotors or something like that, there's no need to resurface.

Dr. Evo
03-02-2006, 09:12 PM
It would probably do more harm then good.

Steiner
03-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Ouch. OK. I've never done that before but looking at my rotors last night it occured to me that it might not be the dumbest idea ever if I sanded gently in the direction of the grain.

MitsuMan
03-02-2006, 11:25 PM
yea well its the cheaper way to go but it can be done with little or no side affects it depends on how the brakes are already. if the pulsate or the rotors are glazed and shiny than I 'd cut then if I were you

DB8GSR
03-03-2006, 05:49 AM
brand new front rotors for his integra from autozone for $13.99 each. :)

can't beat that! :D

Dr. Evo
03-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Ouch. OK. I've never done that before but looking at my rotors last night it occured to me that it might not be the dumbest idea ever if I sanded gently in the direction of the grain.
The reason I say that is there is no way that you can take off an even amount throughout the rotor. What results is an uneven finish that will likely pulsate, and a rough texture that can speed up pad wear.