PDA

View Full Version : Installed AEM Intake.. just questions.. **PICS ADDED**

lncrevoviii
03-05-2006, 09:02 PM
I installed the intake on the ride the other day, but for some gay reason the damn Recirc Valve Keeps on coming off. The little clamp was pretty tight, but when i drive it, it comes off of the Intake. So basically, I drove it for a while without it being on the intake (i didn't know at the point it was off).
The BOV sound is pretty loud and kinda resembles a rattle snake, not the usual Pssssh, but its different, I don't give a shit about the sound, just want to it stop (annoying). Wondering if you guys know what I am talking about??
The car didn't stall or go off idle while driving, but is it a BIG problem if the recirc valve wasn't on for a while? Also my stock hose that comes from the valve cover didn't fit on the AEM intake spot, so i had to buy a new one from Autozone.
How does your Intake look like on the car with the recirc valve on, so i can resemble it to mine?
PICS WOULD HELP.
Thanks.

lqdchkn
03-05-2006, 09:23 PM
If you install it backwards it will blow out under pressure.

lncrevoviii
03-05-2006, 09:29 PM

Its not installed backwards tho. but wait, aww man i need pics. haha. :evil:

lqdchkn
03-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Is this the kit you used:

http://www.intakeone.com/images/aem/EVO%20short%20ram.jpg

lncrevoviii
03-05-2006, 09:51 PM
exactly, but installed in a car pic is what I need. Just need to compare.

lqdchkn
03-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Just looking at the picture though. It looks like a poor design by AEM. The tube that the BOV connects to is not "rolled" so there is really nothing for the clamp to grab on to. Even stock boost hits 19psi.

lncrevoviii
03-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Just looking at the picture though. It looks like a poor design by AEM. The tube that the BOV connects to is not "rolled" so there is really nothing for the clamp to grab on to. Even stock boost hits 19psi.

yea, i thought of it too.
so i guess i have to buy a different BOV, and cover up that hole. BLAZENEVO, from whom i bought the intake, said he had the HKS Bov kit with upper IC and never tried the intake with the Stock Recirc Valve.

lqdchkn
03-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Hope you don't have any issues VTA, many EVO's don't like it. You may have stalling issues not to mention that your AFR's will be jacked. You'll definately need a tune if you do it.

evo_dadi
03-05-2006, 10:06 PM
i had the AEM intake the very first time they came out and everything just fits fine with the stock bov.but i used a longer hose for the bov connecting to the intake pipe and used the clamps that came with it.

lncrevoviii
03-05-2006, 10:13 PM
i had the AEM intake the very first time they came out and everything just fits fine with the stock bov.but i used a longer hose for the bov connecting to the intake pipe and used the clamps that came with it.

Yea, considering what lqdchkn said and what you said, guess i have to do the whole installation process again. :D

evo_dadi
03-05-2006, 10:15 PM
maybe some oil on the piping or hose that is causing it to slip?try using a longer hose also so theyre not tugging at each other.

lncrevoviii
03-05-2006, 10:26 PM
maybe some oil on the piping or hose that is causing it to slip?try using a longer hose also so theyre not tugging at each other.

But if i use a longer hose its going to hit the Radiator hose on top of it. But i will try to mount it in a different place, like run a hose of the hole in the intake, then connect the recirc valve, then connect it to the IC piping. becuase i am thinking that the rubber hose wouldn't come off when its tightened. So basically the recirc valve is somewhere in the middle. Hope it works, btw: would that cause any problems.

XVeloX
03-06-2006, 02:03 AM
zip ties dude... rolled lip or not...

and changing the placement of the BOV won't cause problems as long as there are no leaks...

lncrevoviii
03-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys.

lncrevoviii
03-08-2006, 01:46 PM
ok here is an update.
Intake is installed, it fits good, Recirc valve is secured. Everything is in its place like its supposed to be. But...

With my stock airbox with the HKS panel filter my car was boosting 19-20 Psi strong until the 5K range.
But with the AEM intake, it boosts to 20, then drops to 15 in a second before even reaching 5K. Sometimes it goes to 16psi and drops a bit under 15psi. The regular recirc valve sound is a psssssshhhh, Mine is a pssssssshhh with 3-4 burst. pssh, shsh, shsh, shshs, simuntaneously. Even evo8dustu experiences same problems and he has an injen. But his boost used to peak at 1.5bar and with the intake it dosen't go above .7 bar. He put the stock airbox on and he said it boosts normal. mine atleast go above 15psi, but eventually falls down, but his dosen't go over .7bar.

So i am experiencing boost leak, or is that a normal problem. How should I fix this. I am thinking, leave the AEM piping in there and put the stock box on. How are your boost gauge readings going so far?? Please do help out. No flaming please, i am allready pissed off.

earlyapex
03-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Sounds like you are running wastegate pressure.

Are all the boost lines reconnected properly?

lncrevoviii
03-08-2006, 01:50 PM
Sounds like you are running wastegate pressure.

Are all the boost lines reconnected properly?

yea. I will take pics of it and post it up later today. Does it make a difference if i installed the recirc valve the other way? I think i didn't but still let me know when i post up the pics. thanks.

lncrevoviii
03-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Photos of the intake.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/lncrevoviii/AEM1.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/lncrevoviii/AEM2.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/lncrevoviii/RecircValve1.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/lncrevoviii/RecircValve2.jpg

Boost gauge reading 15psi on full throttle. 20 is on the right and 10 is on the left. Little blurry, but I want to keep my eyes on the road not the 1.5inch camera LCD lol.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/lncrevoviii/BoostGauge.jpg

earlyapex
03-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Your BOV is backwards. :wink:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/stock_bov/stock_bov_installed.jpg

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/stock_bov/stock_bov_loose.jpg

evo_dadi
03-08-2006, 10:09 PM
dayum!!
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000284P.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

lncrevoviii
03-08-2006, 10:22 PM
hahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , i fuckin knew it something was wrong. hahahahahahahahahaha, so hopefully it will boost right after it is positioned properly. hahahaha. omfg, :oops: . feel like a dum ass, but hey thats what the trouble shooting and install help section is for. Couple of people are experiencing the problem, but i stepped on the plate and did some about it. That bryan, evo dadi and other guys who helped out. I will post up my results tommo, after it is fixed. Thanks again.

earlyapex
03-08-2006, 10:28 PM
shouldnt make a big difference in boost, check your boost lines while you are in there as well.

evo_dadi
03-08-2006, 10:29 PM
no problem man 8) at least you found out now than later like some other guys on evom who drives it like a bat out of hell and thinks its cool because of the sound it makes :shock: :lol:

lncrevoviii
03-08-2006, 10:31 PM
ok i will make sure of that. the main problem of going in there that i had was the damn radiator fan shroud. freekin gave me cuts all over.
but still if the boost gauge is not reading right, i am going back to stock. I am not too fond of the "bov" sound, i like the spool. other than that i rather have power over sound anyday.

XVeloX
03-09-2006, 12:35 AM
well one other thing i can tell you is that when i was dead stock, i ran 19psi on my guage at like 3800 or so and at red was down to 14psi. i know you are saying that it drops off a lot, and it does sound like a boost line problem, but a MBC will fix most of the taper once you find any leaks... if you need any help let me know and just shoot me a PM, spoolin and i can come take a look...

Oh ya and i just noticed, check the clamps on the intake pipe, looks like a few of them are off just a bit from the first two pics. (the one i see is the second clamp after the MAF)

spoolin
03-09-2006, 07:48 PM
yeah, when in doubt, just go back to stock. It is actually a very very efficient design. If problem still doesnt go away, check boost lines.

lncrevoviii
03-10-2006, 09:24 PM
update, recirc Valve fixed. Boost is better but still not at stock levels.
It goes to 20psi, then slowly drops to 16-17 before even hiting 5K. Like 16-17psi at 3500rpm. QUESTIONS: a bit of feedback, car is not tuned in any way, have a Helix CB, with testpipe.

Will disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for a period of time help?
How about installing a MBC?
Will MBC set at 20psi create any problems?
How about a tune? Will that fix my current problem?
Are there any other folks experiencing same problems with their intakes?
Is it true, that having AEM or Injen intakes screws with the MAF readings, which makes the cpu cut the boost? Please do help, or i will switch back to stock.

evo_dadi
03-10-2006, 09:37 PM
all you need is just a tune for it since its normal for boost to drop that low.disconnecting the negative terminal wont do anything anyways so dont bother.if youre planning on getting an intake make sure its before you get tuned so you can getthe most out of it but imo youre better off with just a drop in filter.mbc's a hit or miss since most flashes can control boost already so its not necessary.

lqdchkn
03-10-2006, 10:29 PM

Its not installed backwards tho. but wait, aww man i need pics. haha. :evil:

Told Ya So :roll:

SJCoruja
03-10-2006, 11:22 PM
I am heading up to Gruppe-S sometime tomorrow...if you wanted to meet up there or close by you can swap my BOV on to your car really quick to make sure it isn't your stocker leaking boost. PM me and we can figure something out.

lncrevoviii
03-11-2006, 02:43 AM
ok, first I have to meet up with SJCoruja, and if the problem is still not solved i will call for back up, Spoolin and Xvelox i have to give u a holla.
Thanks for all the help guys.

lncrevoviii
03-21-2006, 10:51 PM
My bad I didn't complete this post.

Last week after taking out the whole intake assembly. I put everything back on (AEM intake). All the hoses were fit tight, everything was in working condition, recirc valve is the way its supposed to be thanks to Earlyapex. I drove the car and it was boosting fine. One thing that was different was that the Vac hose that goes into the Intake on the bottom, the gromet was pushed all the way in, I fixed it and I didn't notice any problems. The turbo spool is nice with the "silent but deadly" type of recirc valve sound :lol: . But still not too happy with it since the summer is coming up and Evo's tend to make a lot of heat. I might sell it later on.

Thanks for all the help guys.
D.

XVeloX
03-22-2006, 12:00 AM
ahh sweet dude, glad to hear it all worked out wherever the problem was.

lncrevoviii
03-22-2006, 11:44 AM
ahh sweet dude, glad to hear it all worked out wherever the problem was.

Yea it was the smallest hose which was creating the problem. The vac hose under the intake, also hard to see. How I found out was, when I was disassembling the intake, when I removed the filter I glanced in the tube and saw the gromet pushed all the way in.

Damanc
05-06-2006, 02:14 PM
LOL I had that problem too. I went to a diffirent style of vacume fitting. It seems to be working out for me. I will be replacing mine in the near future though. Just as soon as I can figure out how to peel the aem carb number sticker off and get it to stick to the fujita f5 intake ;)