PDA

View Full Version : weird noise when downshifting

Evo8andahalf
03-05-2006, 10:37 PM
so a couple times ive been hearing this kind of whining droning noise when i downshift from 3rd to 2nd for a slow turn..i step on the clutch and shift it to second and as im letting off i get this whining noise that stops when i step down on the clutch again..it rarely happens only like once or twice every 2 or 3 months, any idea what this is or anyone experience the same thing?

Matz
03-05-2006, 10:46 PM
so a couple times ive been hearing this kind of whining droning noise when i downshift from 3rd to 2nd for a slow turn..i step on the clutch and shift it to second and as im letting off i get this whining noise that stops when i step down on the clutch again..it rarely happens only like once or twice every 2 or 3 months, any idea what this is or anyone experience the same thing?

I get that if I let of the clutch really slowly without rev matching. It's more of a whining squealing noise for me, though.

Mo Evo
03-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Same here. What's it?

Mo

missred
03-06-2006, 12:02 AM

I had that similar symptom last Jan this year, since It was time for my scheduled maintenance I took it over to the dealer and had T-case both front and rear diff oil changed and everything has been fine since . I've also asked the tech if he saw any metal deposits or any abnormalities and none seem to be present.

mchagsingog
03-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Yeah, I get the same thing when I push the clutch in on the 3-2 downshift. It isnt very loud at all and only lasts for a second. Are you guys running a different clutch and flywheel other than the oem one? I have a works ck1 and chromoly spin and I had the thought that it could have been from that :?:

Evo8andahalf
03-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I get the same thing when I push the clutch in on the 3-2 downshift. It isnt very loud at all and only lasts for a second. Are you guys running a different clutch and flywheel other than the oem one? I have a works ck1 and chromoly spin and I had the thought that it could have been from that :?:

nope im still running stock clutch and flywheel just came up on 10k miles

XVeloX
03-06-2006, 12:46 AM
if its just a whirring noise (thats the best way i can describe it) and has sort of a whine to it, its just the tranny making noise. For example, when i am on the phone with anyone, and i start up in 1st gear, the whine is soooo loud on the phone that people on the other line will ask me what that noise was, but you can barely hear it yourself. It only happens in first gear, but this sound you hear will happen in any downshift, no matter the clutch. I notice it in the t-case too and it is completey normal. Try the phone thing with a friend on the line and they will tell you they hear a whine/whir. Try calling a friend with an evo while they drive, trust me it's normal for lots of cars, not just evo's...

mchagsingog
03-06-2006, 01:37 AM
Well thats good to know. It really didnt bother me, but just got me thinkin... Thanks for the info!