PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with email notification?

Matz
03-07-2006, 07:56 AM
My email notification never seems to work. I haven't gotten any for the threads that I've recently subscribed to. However, I still get old subscriptions, like Marshall's journal.

In addition, can we get rid of the IP checking? A problem I had reported earlier regarding the "remembering" of last visited posts seems to be linked to my IP address. When I move from home to work, or vice versa, oftentimes that's when everything resets and it looks like no one has posted.

I am subscribing to this thread, but probably won't get a notification. :lol:

drmosh
03-07-2006, 10:54 AM
whine whine whine, that's what users do best...

first off... the mail server is backed up, as it always is, because it has to process lots of mail...

second... sessions and last posts are stored by cookies, that's how all web servers do it, so if you have a cookie set on one machine to remember what posts you read on that machine, that's how that works, the cookie on the other machine is different...

Matz
03-07-2006, 11:18 AM

first off... the mail server is backed up, as it always is, because it has to process lots of mail...

second... sessions and last posts are stored by cookies, that's how all web servers do it, so if you have a cookie set on one machine to remember what posts you read on that machine, that's how that works, the cookie on the other machine is different...

Ok, I just wanted to ask since I haven't gotten a notification in weeks. If you don't want me to ask stuff like this anymore, I won't. I didn't realize that I was whining.

I am using the same machine in both cases. Maybe Firefox has something to do with this?

I think the "last posts" feature isn't necessarily a web server feature. I thought that forums would store a "last login time" value in the database for each user, and based on the last login time, display all posts ordered by ascending date after the login time. But I don't know... I'm a programmer, but I didn't write phpBB.

nebolic
03-07-2006, 12:09 PM

Ok, I just wanted to ask since I haven't gotten a notification in weeks. If you don't want me to ask stuff like this anymore, I won't. I didn't realize that I was whining.

I am using the same machine in both cases. Maybe Firefox has something to do with this?

I think the "last posts" feature isn't necessarily a web server feature. I thought that forums would store a "last login time" value in the database for each user, and based on the last login time, display all posts ordered by ascending date after the login time. But I don't know... I'm a programmer, but I didn't write phpBB.

i don't think Dr.Mosh meant it in a bad way, i think he's joking. :D hope you don't take it too seriously, we always welcome feedback. :D

nebo

Matz
03-07-2006, 12:32 PM
i don't think Dr.Mosh meant it in a bad way, i think he's joking. :D hope you don't take it too seriously, we always welcome feedback. :D

nebo

Ok... :) If you had posted that, or methods4, then I probably would have thought of it as a joke... but I've never seen dr. mosh here before. Sorry! :oops:

nebolic
03-07-2006, 12:35 PM

nebo

Ok... :) If you had posted that, or methods4, then I probably would have thought of it as a joke... but I've never seen dr. mosh here before. Sorry! :oops:

no worries, Dr.Mosh is the man without the face. Most of the times, he's on socalevo.net but once in a while he comes on to norcalevo.net to check up on us :D

nebo

Matz
03-07-2006, 01:03 PM

nebo

no worries, Dr.Mosh is the man without the face. Most of the times, he's on socalevo.net but once in a while he comes on to norcalevo.net to check up on us :D

nebo

Well, he must occasionally check in, because I'm sure he didn't get an email. OHHHHH! :sneaky:

JanSolo
03-07-2006, 01:12 PM

Sounds we like need an Ironport and you need a laxative.

earlyapex
03-07-2006, 01:13 PM
My email notification has been wack for months too.

Oh well.

Matz
03-07-2006, 01:22 PM

Oh well.

The weird thing is that for Marshall's recent member journal entry (the one about the homemade splitter), I got it right after he posted it. So I dunno... Just forces me to hit F5 every 3 minutes. :lol:

Matz
03-07-2006, 01:23 PM

Oh well.

By the way, your post count looks a bit low. I thought for sure you were in the several-thousand range.

earlyapex
03-07-2006, 01:34 PM
By the way, your post count looks a bit low.I thought for sure you were in the several-thousand range.

hehe why yes it is.