PDA

View Full Version : Brake rotor suggestion

e_vol
03-07-2006, 11:14 AM
OK - I've search the forum about everything brakes but didn't find my answer. I'm looking to replace my rotors and pads soon and I need help in selecting the best setup for 70% street and 30% track use.
I've already cooked the stock pads at Laguna and may have warped the rotors as well (although it could be pad build-up). In any case I need some suggestions but the catch is I don't want to spend $$$ on Alcons or AP right now since I think the stock calipers are fine.
I brake late at the track and generate a lot of heat so I need pads that can dispense heat well and rotors that won't warp. I will also upgrade the ducting system.

Thanks all

dohcvtec
03-07-2006, 11:18 AM
My vote is any old rotors will do. For pads I would go Ferodo DS2500's. I use these pads as my street pads and have also used them on the track with great results. I do feel I was pushing the car quite hard when I took it to the track, the pads didn't fade once on me. We were running Thunderhill Clockwise, damn I want to run it again that way. :)

e_vol
03-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks dohcvtec - I just talked to Ray whos parting out his car and he has PF for sale with 3K on them and one or more track days and they seem to be fine. Anybody else using PF for agressive track braking?

I've heard from smack that Ferodo DS2500 or 3000 are great.

earlyapex
03-07-2006, 11:54 AM
I run the PF "95.7" pads and PF 2-piece rotors.

They will work great with non r-compounds and might even work with r-compounds depending on your driving style.

I am going to be moving up to a full STOPTECH front BBK kit soon though. I am overbuilding my brake system, I also track alot, not sure how many events you plan on doing during the year.

I personally found the PF combo didn't work so well for me as soon as I went to R-compounds. I'm not a elite uber-phast ex-bavarian driver though so YMMV.

hagakure
03-07-2006, 11:55 AM
OK - I've search the forum about everything brakes but didn't find my answer. I'm looking to replace my rotors and pads soon and I need help in selecting the best setup for 70% street and 30% track use.
I've already cooked the stock pads at Laguna and may have warped the rotors as well (although it could be pad build-up). In any case I need some suggestions but the catch is I don't want to spend $$$ on Alcons or AP right now since I think the stock calipers are fine.
I brake late at the track and generate a lot of heat so I need pads that can dispense heat well and rotors that won't warp. I will also upgrade the ducting system.

Thanks all

You might look into the RacingBrake Rotors. Very well-made, and for your purposes should last a LONG time.

www.racingbrake.com

methods4
03-07-2006, 12:28 PM
I also use the PF 2pc rotor and PF 95.7 pads. I've only had problems towards the end of the day on R compounds with that set up.

Is 30% of your mileage really from opentracking?

vtluu
03-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Psst! 2-piece PF rotors cheap! http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8712

Buy them. Use them. Love them. :lol:

e_vol
03-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Psst! 2-piece PF rotors cheap! http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8712

Buy them. Use them. Love them. :lol:

Thanks vtluu - I talked to Ray about them already and might be a good move to go with them. Still deciding though.

evoboy
03-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Hey Bryan,

Why Stoptech....I like you brownbo! You should see if they will turn black if you get them hot enough..haha, jk.

I would recommend DS2500 with PF 2 piece if you track your Evo 30%. Prob want to go with CCX if you are a little more aggressive but those pads cost an arm and a leg tho.

Tom