03-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Shiv's been busy

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?threadid=188932

bdking57
03-10-2006, 12:58 PM
ha.. that sucks, sounds like the regular IX turbo is better then the 20g IX

L8eight
03-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Interesting, i am wondering if that was a 20g-9 from buscher or someone helse :shrugs: either way evom sucks, thats why i have not posted there excpet for once to activate my acct. Evom=nasioc.com (subys) they both suck...

-Rocky

earlyapex
03-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Interesting, i am wondering if that was a 20g-9 from buscher or someone helse :shrugs: either way evom sucks, thats why i have not posted there excpet for once to activate my acct. Evom=nasioc.com (subys) they both suck...

-Rocky

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showpost.php?p=2889974&postcount=66

Steiner
03-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Looks like EvoM is currently down. Since it's Shiv making the thread I'm guessing it rips on the 20G IX since he and David Buschur are always arguing like 9 year old girls about everything.

earlyapex
03-12-2006, 12:34 AM
Since it's Shiv making the thread I'm guessing it rips on the 20G IX since he and David Buschur are always arguing like 9 year old girls about everything.

I love 9yr old girls.

http://btc.montana.edu/ceres/html/LifeCycle/images/amanda.gif

evo_dadi
03-12-2006, 12:41 AM
whoa :shock: :lol: we need a third party here to do some testing besides vendors :wink: :P

Steiner
03-12-2006, 01:23 AM
EvoM is back up and I read the whole thread. I dunno. My brain is tired. What do you guys think? Is this a valid thread for those of us prospective 20G IX buyers, or can we chalk this up to another instance of Shiv's pointless and perpetual vendor bashing? In any event, the time to post that thread should have been AFTER they replaced the 20G IX rather than before. It's all conjecture until they have something else on the car.

earlyapex
03-12-2006, 01:25 AM
EvoM is back up and I read the whole thread. I dunno. My brain is tired. What do you guys think? Is this a valid thread for those of us prospective 20G IX buyers, or can we chalk this up to another instance of Shiv's pointless and perpetual vendor bashing? In any event, the time to post that thread should have been AFTER they replaced the 20G IX rather than before. It's all conjecture until they have something else on the car.

Buy a 20g IX and find out for yourself.

EVO GRIM
03-12-2006, 07:46 AM
I kinda like shivs aproach to upgrades. If its not broke dont fix it. He told me the injectors I bought were overkill for stock turbo. He could have sold me 680's instead of the 720 I bought. He said realy its not worth it. I realy like that oversimplified approach to tuning/upgrades.

Steiner
03-13-2006, 07:27 PM

Buy a 20g IX and find out for yourself.
Wilson? LOL. I'm thinking about it but I'm interested to see what other shops do with it first.

crctslt
03-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Fuggin EVOM gives me a headache. Bunch a whiney ass 5 year olds over there :x

chrisw
03-14-2006, 01:01 PM
It looks like the EVO owners have many options, so I don't see anything bad about what Shiv said on the 20g performance.

The BR 20-g turbo is a great turbo if you want to keep the stock spolling characteristics on a stroker motor. I figure with the displacement, a stroker motor should be able to get that turbo to sing...

If you have an '03-04 EVO, you can choose between the TME, WR for their quick spooling. Or go with the IX turbo for something with a little more lag, or go with the 20g for an all out stock looking drag turbo where the lag is not so important.

Options are alway good. Too bad the thread turned into anther vendor bashing thread.

earlyapex
03-14-2006, 01:06 PM
I really hope any person that drops the cash on a stroker motor runs a real turbo with it.

chrisw
03-14-2006, 01:23 PM
I really hope any person that drops the cash on a stroker motor runs a real turbo with it.

whatever. a "real turbo" is the one that fits your target goals.

dohcvtec
03-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Hell, it seems like the stock 9 turbo is better than a 20g-9. I agree with Bryan, why would you put this little turbo on a stroker motor? makes no sense, unless you're shooting for low power and torque goals.

earlyapex
03-14-2006, 02:11 PM

So you think a larger compressor wheel crammed into a ported out compressor housing that was designed and tuned for a smaller wheel is a real turbo?

GokuSSJ4
03-14-2006, 05:34 PM
how much is the regular IX turbo ?
in the 700 price range?

earlyapex
03-14-2006, 05:40 PM
in the 700 price range?

$900 range

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8526

KitW
03-14-2006, 06:03 PM
heh, I love these debates. People take a turbine housing that has undergone millions of dollars of testing and tuning work and then they throw that completely out of the window, in lieu of a "Bigger is Better" approach. They do this for convenience but really have no idea what is really going on inside the turbo.

I remember running a Super-60 on my DSM. Took the tiny stock housing and bore it out enough for a 60 trim wheel to fit inside. It made a lot more boost but man did it have some nasty surge and tip vorticies... never made as much power as a 16g even. kinda sad.

These 20g bastard turbos are very similar. slap them together, see if it makes power and try it. No thought to efficiency, to the aerodynamics, etc. I wonder if the resellers know what tip vortices are, how Baldwin-Lomax and K-E low Reynolds turbulence models compare, how the new housing effects the expected pressure distribution, etc.

chrisw
03-14-2006, 06:54 PM

So you think a larger compressor wheel crammed into a ported out compressor housing that was designed and tuned for a smaller wheel is a real turbo?

sure if you wanna go street bowling... :lol:

I actually have no idea if that is a "good turbo" but it seems to produce resonable results on the dyno.

the results speak for themselves, DB's hype does not.

I would ever buy one because for what I want, it has too much lag.

earlyapex
03-14-2006, 07:09 PM
I actually have no idea if that is a "good turbo" but it seems to produce resonable results on the dyno.

What results are you looking at? I have yet to see one in California on normally modified cars that make more power than the stock 10.5 turbo or the TME.

dohcvtec
03-14-2006, 07:11 PM

What results are you looking at? I have yet to see one in California on normally modified cars that make more power than the stock 10.5 turbo or the TME.
Maybe reasonable is considered "better than an evo running naturally aspirated?". haha

EvolvedDSM
03-14-2006, 08:49 PM
in the 700 price range?

$900 range

$700

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8806

crctslt
03-14-2006, 11:08 PM
It looks like the EVO owners have many options, so I don't see anything bad about what Shiv said on the 20g performance.

The BR 20-g turbo is a great turbo if you want to keep the stock spolling characteristics on a stroker motor. I figure with the displacement, a stroker motor should be able to get that turbo to sing...

If you have an '03-04 EVO, you can choose between the TME, WR for their quick spooling. Or go with the IX turbo for something with a little more lag, or go with the 20g for an all out stock looking drag turbo where the lag is not so important.

Options are alway good. Too bad the thread turned into anther vendor bashing thread.

Why would you want to use that itty bitty turbo on a stroker?

GokuSSJ4
03-14-2006, 11:40 PM
in the 700 price range?

$900 range

$700

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8806

thanks for the link !!!

MitsuMan
03-15-2006, 12:50 AM
looks like I'll have to just go and talk to Shiv myself