PDA

View Full Version : Boost Problems

TogueMonster
03-10-2006, 02:23 PM
About a month ago I installed a Blitz DD BOV venting to atmosphere along with an HKS EIDS Type K. I know I know.... :oops:. But yeah, I had some problems, the Evo would only hit about .5 to .6 bar of boost tops. Then about a week later, I was boosting normally like stock up to 1.5 bar topping out at about 1.7 peak occasionally, according to my boost gauge.....just like it did when I bought it. Things were going great then BAM back to the .5 bar of boost again. So today I took out the EIDS and the BLITZ BOV and I put in an HKS SSQV recirculating and everything is stock except for the cat back. I put my hand up to the filter and I feel no air going in and the exhaust is SUPER quiet even with no silencer and I can barely feel any kind of exhaust coming out of the tip. What is the problem? Any help would be appreciated. I'd take it to the dealership to have it checked out but I don't trust them plus someone broke off the vaccuum line on my stock bov.

What Im running(nothin special):
HKS SSQV (Recirculating)
Blitz DTT
Blitz Boost Gauge
Catback exhaust

What I've checked:
Intercooler hoses/clamps
BOV hoses/clamps
Intake hose/clamp
Vacuum hoses to BOV and T-fitting to boost gauge
Wiring from EIDS to ECU patched up

:bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead:

TogueMonster
03-10-2006, 04:28 PM
:?:

EVO GRIM
03-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Ditch the bov. They just seem to make problems.

LEVIII
03-10-2006, 07:38 PM
RIght now you have the HKS SSQV running recirc right?

How are you recircing it, could you post a pic?

spoolin
03-11-2006, 12:46 AM
wait.... no air coming out the exhaust tip??? sounds like an exhaust leak...

TogueMonster
03-12-2006, 02:52 AM
I'd ditch the BOV but like I said, someone broke my stocker. The SSQV is installed properly, I didn't install it backwards. I know I've seen it done before too. I doubt its an exhaust leak but maybe something happened under there that I don't know about so I'll definitely check that out. There are exhaust gasses comin out just not as much as before. This really sucks, I think my girls 1.6L Sentra is faster than my Evo right now. There is no turbo spool sound and the exhaust is very quiet. I used to not listen to music because the exhaust drone would drown out the music anyway. I hope its the exhaust leakin', maybe I just need new gaskets or something. Thanks for the ideas so far. I'll jump back under the hood and under the car tomorrow and post up if I find anything new. Any more ideas would be helpful.

TogueMonster
03-12-2006, 10:38 PM
wait.... no air coming out the exhaust tip??? sounds like an exhaust leak...

Twas! I looked underneath the car today and found that an exhaust leak was the culprit. I found the leak where the cat back connected to the cat. There was what looked to be water leaking out from the two. When I removed the stock cat I found that the internals were broken into small little bricks of catalytic crap and the rear honeycomb of the cat was still okay. But all the little broken pieces of cat were blocking the exhaust gasses from escaping through what was left of the catalytic. Wierd s#it!!!! I don't know how that happened but I reinstalled the cat back with a cat delete and the EIDS Type K with the SSQV and it sounds like an animal. Oh christ, it sounds like a monster. I hope I can get the cat cleaned out soon because its way to loud for the streets. Thanks spoolin for your assistance and to everyone else who chipped in with the help. :buds:

vtluu
03-12-2006, 10:49 PM
THe "leak" sounds like it may have been caused by a bent flange which could have been caused by the same impact that busted up your cat element. Make sure you check the flange on your DP to make sure it's not bent or otherwise damaged.

At Streets of Willow in January, I helped out someone in his Miata who had a similar problem--the ceramic cat element in his cat had broken up and was blocking his exhaust, making his car extremely weak (yeah, even for a Miata :lol:). Unfortunately in his case the cat was welded to the header-back exhaust, so we had to take some metal bars and creatively ram them into the cat to knock out the rest of the ceramic elements and unclog the pipes that way.

It's partly for this reason that I'm liking my new Helix HFC which has a metallic (rather than ceramic) element--it should be more resistant to breaking up. BTW I might have a WORKS HFC for sale soon. ;)

Matz
03-12-2006, 11:12 PM
It's partly for this reason that I'm liking my new Helix HFC which has a metallic (rather than ceramic) element--it should be more resistant to breaking up. BTW I might have a WORKS HFC for sale soon. ;)

Tam, please let me know... maybe I'll be interested later. I'm thinking about cancelling my WORKS stealth cat since it's been a couple of months and none have arrived yet.

TogueMonster
03-13-2006, 04:46 AM
THe "leak" sounds like it may have been caused by a bent flange which could have been caused by the same impact that busted up your cat element. Make sure you check the flange on your DP to make sure it's not bent or otherwise damaged.

At Streets of Willow in January, I helped out someone in his Miata who had a similar problem--the ceramic cat element in his cat had broken up and was blocking his exhaust, making his car extremely weak (yeah, even for a Miata :lol:). Unfortunately in his case the cat was welded to the header-back exhaust, so we had to take some metal bars and creatively ram them into the cat to knock out the rest of the ceramic elements and unclog the pipes that way.

Hmmm, the Helix HFC might be the way to go. I'm not sure what the deal was with the leak. The flanges aren't bent. I think what may have happened is that my brother didn't tighten the bolts properly when we installed the catback or maybe he forgot to put the gasket in. He likes to help me do all the wrenching. I'm just glad it was the cat and not anything else. For a second, I was afraid something happened to the turbo. :oops: