PDA

View Full Version : Turboback on Evo 9, No difference felt?

Revolver Ocelot
03-11-2006, 01:27 AM
Ive had my Helix turboback on for a few weeks now and i have a few questions. I wasnt really expecting much of a gain just from an exhaust but it seems like i didnt get a gain at all. To me, it actually seems like the car is slower than before. NO more "Turbo Kick" you can see the boost gauge go up but i cant feel it as much as i used too. And now iam running disgustingly rich. And i mean disgustingly rich.
Has anybody else with a 9 have this problem? Will i see no improvement until i reflash.
Iam sorry if this topic seems stupid but iam just kinda dissapointed on how it turned out.

MAB1025
03-11-2006, 01:47 AM
With the turboback on my IX MR I felt a noticeable difference. The turbo spooled up faster and kicked harder, but it wasnt until I got the p2e flash from Works until the power really came out.

I do agree thought that my car is running really really rich now. I have to clean off that exhaust soot twice a week!

Revolver Ocelot
03-11-2006, 04:04 AM
You know what, iam still throwing the CEL for the test pipe. I was told that this shouldnt effect performance at all. But could it? Because honestly the car felt better before the exhaust.

leif
03-11-2006, 05:02 AM
the first graph of an evo9 with exhaust i ever saw showed it only gained 1whp. something to do with the ecu compensating for it. you need to get a flash to open up all that power.

EFIxMR
03-11-2006, 09:44 PM
The CEL is definately something that needs taking care of. The Mechanical 02 fix works great, as I run it on my car and have no CEL issues. Isn't your gas mileage going way down with the CEL from the 02. If it isn't a major loss in mpg, you might have a different CEL.

nyne
03-11-2006, 10:25 PM
does the evo ecu go into "limp mode" whenever you throw a CEL?

Yuh
03-11-2006, 10:34 PM
You know what, iam still throwing the CEL for the test pipe. I was told that this shouldnt effect performance at all. But could it? Because honestly the car felt better before the exhaust.

Same here, i'm gonna try the mechanical o2 fix.

It was the P0420 code, btw - Innefficient cat something
at least that's in my case when i installed my Greddy TI on my IX with the stock cat still on there.

Lurk
03-11-2006, 11:21 PM
I had the same issues with my Helix TBE. Threw a CEL. Good thing I got a mechanical CEL fix. Made the CEL go away, but I'm still running super rich. I need a reflash ASAP.

Revolver Ocelot
03-12-2006, 12:40 AM
Yea, i have the mechanical fix. But i need to get a drill, to drill out one of the anti-foulers. My mpg has gone done, sucks. Oh and i just hit boost cut tonight coming home from work, felt like hitting a dam wall. So i definately need a reflash ASAP.

spoolin
03-12-2006, 09:39 AM
THe evo has somewhat of an "adaptive" ecu and doesnt take well to mods. Because you now have a free flowing exhaust, the ecu throws in more fuel to compensate. The way to fix this is to get a reflash like ecutek, dynoflash, the vishnu x-flash or some kind of piggyback computer tuning. It will release a LOT of power from ur car, especially now that u have a turboback.

XVeloX
03-12-2006, 11:09 PM
THe evo has somewhat of an "adaptive" ecu and doesnt take well to mods. Because you now have a free flowing exhaust, the ecu throws in more fuel to compensate. The way to fix this is to get a reflash like ecutek, dynoflash, the vishnu x-flash or some kind of piggyback computer tuning. It will release a LOT of power from ur car, especially now that u have a turboback.

+1

this is what happened to me, when i got all of my mods i ran 211 hp on Paul's dyno...(272's, TBE, MBC, gears, 03 GSR, etc...). On his dyno thats only 25ish whp over stock, before the cams my car was slower than stock and i was running a 9.7afr up top, the ecu de-tunes the engine so you are runnin the same power or something. If you read one of the first few sticky posts in this section about catbacks, they go more in detail. I also hit boost cut at 19 Psi with the MBC. EcuTek installed... no boost cut and 275whp on just fixing the afr... some kind of flash/piggyback will fix this

bdking57
03-13-2006, 11:24 AM
the cheapest route for you to take in feeling your gains would be to pick up an SAFCII and take it up to EIP since paul is pretty close to salinas. no sense in getting a flash yet if you plan on adding alot more mods, but it would definately be more drivable

SJCoruja
03-13-2006, 11:38 AM
the cheapest route for you to take in feeling your gains would be to pick up an SAFCII...

<shameless plug>Especially since there is a used one for sale in the classifieds right now <end shameless plug>
:D

Positron
03-13-2006, 03:28 PM
the cheapest route for you to take in feeling your gains would be to pick up an SAFCII...

<shameless plug>Especially since there is a used one for sale in the classifieds right now <end shameless plug>
:D

hehe :lol:

EVO GRIM
03-14-2006, 08:55 AM
This is what you need and its right in your backyard.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=189585

earlyapex
03-14-2006, 11:54 AM

Yea, looks like the ECU brings the boost down with mods without a tune.

ZK
03-14-2006, 11:57 AM

Is this only on the 9? Does it happen on the 05 Evo 8s too?

earlyapex
03-14-2006, 12:09 PM

Is this only on the 9? Does it happen on the 05 Evo 8s too?

Not that much.

Revolver Ocelot
03-14-2006, 12:09 PM

^Looks like iam taking a trip to Vishnu.

spoolin
03-14-2006, 01:34 PM
yup, thats what i did. :D It will feel like a different car after your tune.