PDA

View Full Version : I have questions with my MBC install

Matz
03-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Hey fellow NCE members... today, I figured I'd get off of my ass and finally start working on the Evo again. I want to get my MBC in because the P2 is coming out next week.

I just tore out the intake and upper IC piping, and then was shocked when I realized that it's darn hard to get my hands in there to remove the hoses from the turbo and wastegate actuator. Should I go from under the car and pull off the undertray? If so, I guess I'll have to invest in some jackstands.

While I've got everything out, I think I'll finally put in my coolant sensor, and maybe replace the upper IC pipe with something else, though I don't know what "something else" should be. Any opinions on Samco vs. hard pipes? Sorry, I guess this is OT. I really just need advice getting my MBC in there. :oops:

Does anyone think it's worthwhile to do a comprehensive how-to on this, or is it so easy for everyone here that I'd be wasting time?

earlyapex
03-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Yup, it's a pita to get your hands in there but it can be done. It's easier if you take the intake snorkel off.

Taking off the undertray would help as well but the undertray is kinda a PITA too.

Matz
03-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Yup, it's a pita to get your hands in there but it can be done. It's easier if you take the intake snorkel off.

Taking off the undertray would help as well but the undertray is kinda a PITA too.

ok, thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot and just keep removing stuff until I can get my hands in there.

That damn police training video (http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9038&highlight=) got me all spooked. I'm thinking about mounting the MBC under the intake box, if there's room, rather than right next to it. Where did you mount yours? I guess I'm kind of glad that I'm also going with 269 cams now and not getting cam gears... at least that's the current plan.

EDIT -- hmm... under the intake box isn't a good idea, what a PITA it would be to make an adjustment if I really needed to in a pinch.

earlyapex
03-11-2006, 08:39 PM
They made the cam gear cover for a reason. :)

What MBC are you using? Use black vac lines and if your MBC doesn't stand out much (like a dejon) I don't see a problem with it. Most car people don't even see mine until I point it out.

The only thing that doesn't look stock under my hood is the blue greddy coolant temp adapter.

Matz
03-11-2006, 09:13 PM
They made the cam gear cover for a reason. :)

What MBC are you using? Use black vac lines and if your MBC doesn't stand out much (like a dejon) I don't see a problem with it. Most car people don't even see mine until I point it out.

The only thing that doesn't look stock under my hood is the blue greddy coolant temp adapter.

Yeah, true. I heard that the HKS gears don't fit until the stock cover, so I'd have to get a different one, I guess. So you think it's a good idea to still have the adj. cam gears, even though the 269s are supposed to be good with the stock ones?

I just pulled out the DV and intake snorkel, great tip! It'll be easier to get the hoses off now. Too bad I lost my right angle pliers, and can't even find one of my many needle nose pliers. :oops:

earlyapex
03-11-2006, 09:24 PM
My HKS gears fit under my cover. :wink:

It's your choice with gears. They can make power, but it can be another potential failure point. If you are running 269's (works?) I believe they idle fine. Also, some people use gears to smooth out the idle, some people use them for power.

Matz
03-11-2006, 10:00 PM
My HKS gears fit under my cover. :wink:

It's your choice with gears. They can make power, but it can be another potential failure point. If you are running 269's (works?) I believe they idle fine. Also, some people use gears to smooth out the idle, some people use them for power.

Hmm.. okay! Well, is it pretty much possible to change the powerband of any cams with gears? That's probably a dumb question.

earlyapex
03-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Hmm.. okay! Well, is it pretty much possible to change the powerband of any cams with gears? That's probably a dumb question.

yes, some people even use them with stock cams.

evo_dadi
03-11-2006, 10:41 PM
hmm its wierd that more people are talking about hks cam gears not fitting with the cover on.i have them also on mine and they fit perfectly,the only one i know that you have to do some shaving is the vishnu cam gears.

hey dave if im not mistaken you got the forge mbc right?that might stick out a bit since its a huge mbc :lol: but keep an eye on it since a few guys on evom were having issues with it.

Matz
03-11-2006, 11:57 PM
hmm its wierd that more people are talking about hks cam gears not fitting with the cover on.i have them also on mine and they fit perfectly,the only one i know that you have to do some shaving is the vishnu cam gears.

hey dave if im not mistaken you got the forge mbc right?that might stick out a bit since its a huge mbc :lol: but keep an eye on it since a few guys on evom were having issues with it.

Yeah, I was going to buy some used cam gears (I forgot who it was), and he said that the HKS gears wouldn't fit under the stock cover.

Yeah, I bought the Forge MBC, and hadn't realized that people had issues with it... unless you're talking about mis-seating the spring. I'm going to just install it next to the intake box for now, and if it sticks out like a sore thumb, I'll reevaluate the situation and make a special mount for it.

I tried to finish the installation tonight, but unfortunately the hose going to the DV is larger than the tees that I had bought. So I guess I've gotta head over to Kragen tomorrow to get bigger tees. :(

Matz
03-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Hmm... I've got one last question for you guys. Like I was saying earlier, I have to get bigger tees because of the hose going from the DV to the manifold. However, the hose that goes to the MBC would be too large. So should I just squeeze a new section of hose onto the DV / manifold so I can use my current tee, and not have to figure out a way to reduce it so that I can connect to the MBC? Am I making sense here? :lol:

evo_dadi
03-12-2006, 12:16 AM
nah it wasnt the spring they were having a problem,its the ball bearing inside that gets stuck at times so the boost comes out erratic.i was gonna get the same onebefore but i just decided with the hallman mbc.

as for the hose you can just use a new one and might as well make them have all the same measurement.

Matz
03-12-2006, 12:28 AM
nah it wasnt the spring they were having a problem,its the ball bearing inside that gets stuck at times so the boost comes out erratic.i was gonna get the same onebefore but i just decided with the hallman mbc.

as for the hose you can just use a new one and might as well make them have all the same measurement.

Oh yeah, I remember reading that some people have luck using a light grease. I'll look into doing that.

So you don't think it'll make too much of a difference using the smaller ID silicone hose? I think the ID of the new hose I have is 1/2 that of the original hose.

evo_dadi
03-12-2006, 12:38 AM
i dont think its gonna make that big of a difference since the hose is still kinda short than compared getting the pressure from the turbo nipple.

Matz
03-12-2006, 12:42 AM
i dont think its gonna make that big of a difference since the hose is still kinda short than compared getting the pressure from the turbo nipple.

Cool, I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning. I should have everything back together soon since I decided not to install my coolant adapter yet. Damn I'm lazy.

evo_dadi
03-12-2006, 12:44 AM
lol youre not the only one man :lol:

earlyapex
03-12-2006, 12:47 AM
this weekend this was my list:

1. Get new Azenis mounted (done)
2. Paint IC pipes (not done)
3. Change tranny fluid (not done)
4. Prep roll bar (not done)
5. Finish oil temp gauge (not done)
6. Forge motor mount (not done)
7. something I forgot.

woot, 1 thing done out of 7.

evo_dadi
03-12-2006, 01:14 AM
youll probly finish that list by the end of the month :lol:

Matz
03-12-2006, 09:33 AM
this weekend this was my list:

1. Get new Azenis mounted (done)
2. Paint IC pipes (not done)
3. Change tranny fluid (not done)
4. Prep roll bar (not done)
5. Finish oil temp gauge (not done)
6. Forge motor mount (not done)
7. something I forgot.

woot, 1 thing done out of 7.

:) Are you gonna do the stealth paint job on the stock IC pipe? I was thinking about doing that, instead of buying an aftermarket one... I have a few of the same things on my list, also not done yet. We've been shipping so much stuff out lately that there isn't room in the loading dock for me to drive in my car anymore. :(

vtluu
03-12-2006, 09:51 AM
:) Are you gonna do the stealth paint job on the stock IC pipe?
What would be the point? The stock IC pipe is stock and doesn't need to be stealthy.

My list for this weekend:
1. Finish timing belt job (done).
2. Fix IC pipe boost leaks (done).
3. Modify OEM cam gear cover to fit Helix cam gears (done).
4. Bleed clutch line (done).
5. Install brake duct hoses (not done).

... in addition to going to an auto-x and the A1GP. Good thing I'm not as lazy as Bryan. 8)

earlyapex
03-12-2006, 12:03 PM
:) Are you gonna do the stealth paint job on the stock IC pipe? I was thinking about doing that, instead of buying an aftermarket one... I have a few of the same things on my list, also not done yet. We've been shipping so much stuff out lately that there isn't room in the loading dock for me to drive in my car anymore. :(

Helix pipes. Yes, stealth paint if it ever stops f'in raining.

Matz
03-12-2006, 12:28 PM
What would be the point? The stock IC pipe is stock and doesn't need to be stealthy.

Yeah, but they are shiny and popos ares stupid.

Matz
03-12-2006, 12:33 PM
... in addition to going to an auto-x and the A1GP. Good thing I'm not as lazy as Bryan. 8)

Good thing you don't have kids. :lol:

Matz
03-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Damn I am so stupid. :oops: I never bothered to look at the nipples on the MBC, and I guess I bought the wrong hose for it. The hose I bought was fine for the wastegate / wastegate solenoid, but too small for the DV / MBC. Now I have to order more hose, and pray that it comes before next weekend. I can also go to Kragen and get some of their hose, but it's not silicone, and that's what I want. Anyone here know of a local shop (in San Jose) that sells silicone hose?

earlyapex
03-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Damn I am so stupid. :oops: I never bothered to look at the nipples on the MBC, and I guess I bought the wrong hose for it. The hose I bought was fine for the wastegate / wastegate solenoid, but too small for the DV / MBC. Now I have to order more hose, and pray that it comes before next weekend. I can also go to Kragen and get some of their hose, but it's not silicone, and that's what I want. Anyone here know of a local shop (in San Jose) that sells silicone hose?

I have a bunch of silicone vac hose, what size do you need and I will check.

Matz
03-12-2006, 04:57 PM
I have a bunch of silicone vac hose, what size do you need and I will check.

Hey Bryan, thanks. I already ordered some after I posted, cuz I didn't want to have to look around. I appreciate the offer!

So I just completed the installation for the hell of it, even though the hoses are too small. I needed to get the car running because the P2 is coming out soon and I have to be able to drive to WORKS. :) I thought I'd stealthify my exhaust like you did yours, so I also pulled the WORKS ABM out and swapped it for the spare AB I had in the garage. Damn that sh*t is loud! I think I'm going to have to swap the exhausts again because my arse is gonna get nailed for sure. (it does sound pretty cool, though)

It seems like the MBC is working... at least, I know it's not not-working. I drove around the block a couple of times with very light acceleration (don't want to run over kiddies), just to see if the boost goes up, and it does. I guess I have to go out on the freeway to know for sure. I think the lightest spring on the minimum boost setting for the Forge is around 19 PSI. I wish I could have a spring that maxed at 20, so it's easier to verify.

earlyapex
03-12-2006, 06:19 PM
The turbo would spool up normally like that even if you have the MBC connected wrong. The MBC just stops it from spooling at the point it's set at. :)

Matz
03-12-2006, 07:15 PM
The turbo would spool up normally like that even if you have the MBC connected wrong. The MBC just stops it from spooling at the point it's set at. :)

Yeah, that's why I'd like a softer spring. I can't tell if it's really working correctly because I boost that high. :oops:

Matz
03-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Cool, I finally drove my Evo to work and got to test my MBC installation. Looks like it's working great! Boost gets cut at 1.0 bar at the lowest setting on the softest spring. And the needle on my gauge doesn't bounce around at max boost like it used to. Seems like a good way to keep one's boost under control. :twisted:

earlyapex
03-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Cool, I finally drove my Evo to work and got to test my MBC installation. Looks like it's working great! Boost gets cut at 1.0 bar at the lowest setting on the softest spring. And the needle on my gauge doesn't bounce around at max boost like it used to. Seems like a good way to keep one's boost under control. :twisted:

That's also wastegate pressure. Turn the MBC up and see if the boost increases.

Matz
03-14-2006, 10:54 PM
That's also wastegate pressure. Turn the MBC up and see if the boost increases.

:oops: Damn, I forgot about that! Thanks for letting me know. I'll crank it up a bit and we'll see how it goes tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Matz
03-15-2006, 07:21 AM
Looks like the Forge MBC increases boost by ~0.5 bar per full turn. It looks like that's how much it went up when I adjusted it. I'll try 5 more turns to cap boost at 1.3 bar.

EDIT: Tam pointed out that I'm a dumbass. I meant 0.05 bar per full turn. heheheh

vtluu
03-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Um, might want to check your math there, 5 turns * 0.5 bar per turn = 2.5 bar :shock:.

My Hallman Pro MBC goes up by about 2 psi (0.14 bar) per turn--much better for fine-tuning, IMO.

Matz
03-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Um, might want to check your math there, 5 turns * 0.5 bar per turn = 2.5 bar :shock:.

My Hallman Pro MBC goes up by about 2 psi (0.14 bar) per turn--much better for fine-tuning, IMO.

HAHAH! whoops. :oops: I meant 0.05 bar per turn. I'd better revise my post now. :lol:

Matz
03-16-2006, 02:06 PM
I was so excited because my package from McMaster arrived today... imagine my surprise when I opened the box, and found that the plastic rod I ordered was GREEN instead of black. :oops: I totally ordered the wrong part number.. :( So I have finally ordered some black Delrin, and hopefully that'll help cover up the MBC.

Matz
03-19-2006, 11:14 AM
hey dave if im not mistaken you got the forge mbc right?that might stick out a bit since its a huge mbc :lol:

What MBC? I don't see one here... :wink:

http://evo8.initialdproject.com/HowToInstallMBC/mbc_stealth_cover.jpg

Sorta stealthified! :thumbsup:

XVeloX
03-19-2006, 11:30 AM
very nice... i think im gonna look into one for the hallman...

Matz
03-19-2006, 11:33 AM
very nice... i think im gonna look into one for the hallman...

Thanks... do companies actually make stuff like this?

evo_dadi
03-19-2006, 11:33 AM
nice..but i still see it ;) :lol: but then again most cops wont even look twice.

Matz
03-19-2006, 11:41 AM
nice..but i still see it ;) :lol: but then again most cops wont even look twice.

Bah... but I think you're right, a big black cap shouldn't attract too much attention. <crossing fingers>

earlyapex
03-19-2006, 04:00 PM
If you clean the rest of the engine bay it won't stick out, or just wait till it gets dirty. :)

nice idea.

Matz
03-19-2006, 05:27 PM
If you clean the rest of the engine bay it won't stick out, or just wait till it gets dirty. :)

nice idea.

hehe... I'll opt for the latter. Maybe I'll give it to my son and let him take it to the park. That should take care of the problem. :)