PDA

View Full Version : DP Spring Bolt question ???

Black_EVO
03-14-2006, 07:05 PM
I just installed a Helix DP and was wondering if the spring bolts are supposed to be tightened all the way of if they are supposed to backed off a little?

Let me know. Thanks!! :D

earlyapex
03-14-2006, 07:16 PM
they tighten until they stop. If u look at the bolts you can see how they work.

lqdchkn
03-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Make sure you use Anti-seize on them. You don't want to know how I had to find out. :(

spoolin
03-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Also, make sure that when you tighten them, you do NOT tighten one side completley, and then tighten the other side. This will put too much stress on the bolt that isnt being tightened, and possibly bend it. Tighten each side evenly, (do a few turns on one and then switch to the other and do a few turns etc..)

vtluu
03-14-2006, 11:38 PM
You sure about that? I tightened them until my torque wrench clicked--37 ft-lbs, as specified in the service manual.

Matz
03-14-2006, 11:46 PM
Make sure you use Anti-seize on them. You don't want to know how I had to find out. :(

+1 The previous owner of Evo #1 broke the bolt off in the DP and didn't tell me, and then I got hit with an hour of labor to get the damn thing extracted later on. :(

Matz
03-14-2006, 11:48 PM
You sure about that? I tightened them until my torque wrench clicked--37 ft-lbs, as specified in the service manual.

Yeah, I'd use the torque settings if they're in the manual. However, I can see the springs increasing friction on the thread interfaces, which may prevent accidental loosening. :?:

MarkSAE
03-14-2006, 11:54 PM
The downpipe to o2 housing bolts feel like they bottom out when they're tightened all the way. Once the bottom out, I just torque them to 37 ft-lbs like specified in the shop manual.

vtluu
03-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Unless the threads on the bolts end after a bit, I would think they'd keep tightening until the spring is fully compressed (and then what would be the point of the spring?). As I understand it the springs are there to allow some movement/flexing between the O2 housing and the DP--they can't do that if they're fully compressed.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow...

MitsuMan
03-15-2006, 12:22 AM
thats correct the bolts are shoulderd and they have a limited number of thread. the evo does not have a flex section of exhaust (needed for when engine torque over) so, they designed the DP to pivot at the o2 housing.

Black_EVO
03-15-2006, 05:50 AM
WOW so many different answers. I tigtened them untill they would not turn anymore. I'm not exactly sure how it works but i was told that the bolts will back them selves off when they warm up to preset load. I know when I took them off it was very difficult to get them started. The bolts from the CAT are the worst though.

Matz
03-15-2006, 06:29 AM
WOW so many different answers. I tigtened them untill they would not turn anymore. I'm not exactly sure how it works but i was told that the bolts will back them selves off when they warm up to preset load. I know when I took them off it was very difficult to get them started. The bolts from the CAT are the worst though.

After I got my DP bolt extracted in #1, I didn't have a problem getting the bolts out again. I think WORKS replaces the boost hose from under the car and they take off the undertray, so when my boost hose goes into your Evo this weekend, they should be able to torque the DP bolts if you ask them to.

The cat bolts were a b*tch, mainly because mine were all rusted. I used an adjustable wrench on one side, and then a ratchet on the other, and banged it with a rubber mallot to get the bolts free.

MarkSAE
03-15-2006, 08:50 AM
A rubber mallot isn't very good at sending an impact load to crack stuck nuts/bolts loose. The rubber will act like a damper and absorb energy. I use a 3-lb mini sledgehammer and a wrench to crack bolts loose. The cat bolts aren't that bad. ;)

Matz
03-15-2006, 09:20 AM
A rubber mallot isn't very good at sending an impact load to crack stuck nuts/bolts loose.

It's not, but it worked well enough for me! :wink: